Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Marc Bulger

Re: Marc Bulger

Something else to think about...it has been touched upon above. The salary for Smith & Beck combined is 2.2 million. Don't be shocked if both are cut to free up a roster spot. QBs of their ilk are a dime/dozen and if they need one they will be available later. That roster spot on a deep squad might be too valuable to be taken by a third QB...some flunky w practice squad player would happily take the role of scout QB.

And if they really had to go to such extreme measures to play someone like that then the season is probably lost anyway.
    Last edited by TL24x7; 06-24-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo Rizon View Post
    Something else to think about...it has been touched upon above. The salary for Smith & Beck combined is 2.2 million. Don't be shocked if both are cut to free up a roster spot.
    That's a possibility. Although it might leave us very thin at the clipboard holder spot.

Wink Re: Marc Bulger

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    Bulger will make more money than Flacco this season. Weird.
    Not really. Just shoddy reporting by the Sun. Shame on Jamison for using sensationalism instead of accuracy. The Sun story was based strictly on base salaries. According to USA Today, Flacco's total compensation in 2009 was $8.6 million (assumedly it doesn't drop by $4 million this year).

Using that same USA Today table, Bulger's base salary also exceeds the base salaries of many other NFL starters such as Aaron Rodgers, Jake Delhomme, Vince Young, Tony Romo, Jason Campbell, Matthew Stafford, and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I'm sure that B'More Ravor has better numbers, but I haven't seen him around much during this long & boring June.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    It is still likely Smith will be active and Bulger will be the emergency, unless Smith gets traded.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlacco View Post
    This may be the dumbest statement ever made on this board
    Was it dumber there than when I said it at #43 in this thread?

Using that same USA Today table, Bulger's base salary also exceeds the base salaries of many other NFL starters such as Aaron Rodgers, Jake Delhomme, Vince Young, Tony Romo, Jason Campbell, Matthew Stafford, and Ryan Fitzpatrick.
    Great point T

Ideally, this signing is an utter irrelevance that can be talked up as a genius stroke for providing Flacco with a positive senior mentoring figure from a vet QB. It's if (touch wood it won't happen) Flacco gets hurt that this move is more of a gamble that I'd be more surprised if it paid off than not. Bulger was once a very good QB and still could be one but the beating he took in St Louis did him in physically but probably more importantly, mentally. Physical injuries can heal but the mental issues he developed behind that bad line won't necessarily just disappear playing behind as good an O-line as we've assembled. Those issues may disappear, but I'd expect there's a better chance they don't. Bulger's not been comfortable in the pocket for an awfully long time and if he has to come in cold in a game how does he react in the pocket? If he can put to one side his experiences in St Louis taking an absolute beating this is a master stroke, but when those issues are there (you just need to watch the Bulger of the last three years to see how beat up he is mentally & physically) I don't think they go away that quickly.

This move could be a stroke of genius, but at the same time if Bulger has to see the field we could be in no better a situation than with our current backups. That said, for an uncapped year, the potential upside and Flacco's durability behind a good O-line, I'd take the same risk to keep Smith off the field at all costs, he's not even a marginal talent and his attitude is dreadful. With or without the risks I can't help but like this move simply for getting Smith closer to the margins and potentially off of this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    The same Garcia who was cut by the Raiders last year?
    Not taking a side on him being better than Bulger or not, but let's not judge his getting cut by the Raiders as any sort of indictment on his play. If anything it's the opposite. By all counts, Garcia was dramatically outplaying Russell in camp last year, and was cut to ensure there was no outcry from the fans, media or locker room for him to be the starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Most of JW's takes would be candidates for that prestigious award. Why I usually skip over everything he writes.
    QFT

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    Physical injuries can heal but the mental issues he developed behind that bad line won't necessarily just disappear playing behind as good an O-line as we've assembled. Those issues may disappear, but I'd expect there's a better chance they don't.
    I generally agree with the overall point, but have a less pessimistic attitude about it. I think this deserves more of a "wait and see" approach than anything else. Realistically we can't tell if he was damaged mentally behind that line or not, or how much he was. We have a good team with a solid line that can keep him protected. The Rams had nothing but a good RB who'd get hurt on occasion. It was rolling him out in front of the firing squad. Way too early to tell if this guy's an emotional shell of his former self, or if he can come back fairly easily.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    Ideally, this signing is an utter irrelevance that can be talked up as a genius stroke for providing Flacco with a positive senior mentoring figure from a vet QB. It's if (touch wood it won't happen) Flacco gets hurt that this move is more of a gamble that I'd be more surprised if it paid off than not. Bulger was once a very good QB and still could be one but the beating he took in St Louis did him in physically but probably more importantly, mentally. Physical injuries can heal but the mental issues he developed behind that bad line won't necessarily just disappear playing behind as good an O-line as we've assembled. Those issues may disappear, but I'd expect there's a better chance they don't. Bulger's not been comfortable in the pocket for an awfully long time and if he has to come in cold in a game how does he react in the pocket? If he can put to one side his experiences in St Louis taking an absolute beating this is a master stroke, but when those issues are there (you just need to watch the Bulger of the last three years to see how beat up he is mentally & physically) I don't think they go away that quickly.

This move could be a stroke of genius, but at the same time if Bulger has to see the field we could be in no better a situation than with our current backups. That said, for an uncapped year, the potential upside and Flacco's durability behind a good O-line, I'd take the same risk to keep Smith off the field at all costs, he's not even a marginal talent and his attitude is dreadful. With or without the risks I can't help but like this move simply for getting Smith closer to the margins and potentially off of this team.
    So you're suggesting that he might stuggle with post traumatic stress syndrome from playing behind the ST Louis line?

I dunno, maybe at first, but he's been in the league for a long time and I think he'll regain his form in the pocket pretty quickly behind a decent line. Some of it will depend on how tough he is.

He's only 32 so, theoretically at least, he should still have enough physical ability to regain a good deal of his old form. That will depend on how much his injuries will affect him. Since he was cleared medically, I'm going on the assumption that he's pretty much OK in that regard.

An aside: Poor Kyle Bolller. He played here when the pass protectio was lousy and then got picked up by a team whose protection was even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    I generally agree with the overall point, but have a less pessimistic attitude about it. I think this deserves more of a "wait and see" approach than anything else. Realistically we can't tell if he was damaged mentally behind that line or not, or how much he was. We have a good team with a solid line that can keep him protected. The Rams had nothing but a good RB who'd get hurt on occasion. It was rolling him out in front of the firing squad. Way too early to tell if this guy's an emotional shell of his former self, or if he can come back fairly easily.

- C -
    Oh I completely agree PSU it's a case of wait & see and as I alluded to, I hope we don't have to see. The Rams line was hideous but showed improvements in the last season & a bit, still no great shakes but not close to as bad as it was its worst. Much like Carr in Houston, by the end he was making the line look worse than it was by at times watching the rush and at other times hurrying throws that didn't need to be hurried because he was anticipating pressure. Carr improved with time in New York behind a good line, our line is as good (possibly better depending upon the weighting of the importance of the LT) as the Giants so the precedence is there but it's a case of how much live playing time he gets as to whether we see improvement from him in that regard. Bulger's achieved a higher level than Carr ever has, but I think tracking Bulger against Carr's progress recovering from playing behind such a hideous O-line in terms of pass protection is an interesting yardstick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lap View Post
    So you're suggesting that he might stuggle with post traumatic stress syndrome from playing behind the ST Louis line?

I dunno, maybe at first, but he's been in the league for a long time and I think he'll regain his form in the pocket pretty quickly behind a decent line. Some of it will depend on how tough he is.

He's only 32 so, theoretically at least, he should still have enough physical ability to regain a good deal of his old form. That will depend on how much his injuries will affect him. Since he was cleared medically, I'm going on the assumption that he's pretty much OK in that regard.

An aside: Poor Kyle Bolller. He played here when the pass protectio was lousy and then got picked up by a team whose protection was even worse.
    PTSD is a touch of stretch but recovering from what that can do to you mentally in terms of watching & anticipating pressure as I said above that's not necessarily a quick fix, as I said wait & see.

As for Boller, from our shoddy pass pro of years past, to an improved (but still average) Rams' line he now gets to sit behind the Raiders rather sub-standard pass protection! Some guys just can't buy a break!

Florio, from Pro Football Talk (for what his opinion is worth!), ranking the NFL's best backups:

The Best

1. Baltimore Ravens. With Bulger on board, the Ravens now have a solid two-deep depth chart at quarterback. If starter Joe Flacco gets injured, Bulger will enjoy something he didn't have for his last couple of years in St. Louis — an offensive line actually capable of blocking defenders on a consistent basis.

This latest transaction strengthens the Ravens' chances for 2010, putting them among the best teams in the AFC. And with several other teams in need of a quality backup, they may be able to give Troy Smith his wish and trade him to a new city.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/arti...#ixzz0rt38d3G3
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Bulger's not been comfortable in the pocket for an awfully long time and if he has to come in cold in a game how does he react in the pocket?
    He probably won't do well coming in cold, especially against a good defense and pass rush.

But Flacco played through the Minny game pretty well, it was the 2-4 weeks after that when rest would have done him wonders that he had to continue through. Once he stopped playing and the adrenaline wore off he could feel that ankle. Bulger getting all the reps may not be the good Bulger with all those weapons and a good OL, but he is better than Smith or Beck. Having him step in as starter for a few weeks is a luxury to be considered should Flacco get hurt, I doubt Beck or Smith were given serious consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Not really. Just shoddy reporting by the Sun. Shame on Jamison for using sensationalism instead of accuracy. The Sun story was based strictly on base salaries. According to USA Today, Flacco's total compensation in 2009 was $8.6 million (assumedly it doesn't drop by $4 million this year).

I'm sure that B'More Ravor has better numbers, but I haven't seen him around much during this long & boring June.

Not to mentioning being on OBX!

T's right on, using base salary only is silly, since on long term deals the base salary is usually pretty low early in the contract (especially on rookie deals).

Plus, Flacco's deal has incentives and escalators built in that will likely allow him to earn more this year (and in future years).
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap