Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ravens agree to terms w/ Jones

The Baltimore Ravens have agreed in principle to a three-year deal with rookie DT Arthur Jones, executive vice president/general manager Ozzie Newsome announced Monday morning.

Jones was selected out of Syracuse in the fifth round (157th overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft. He was the Ravens’ second pick in the round, following WR David Reed (156th overall).

A four-year letterman who started 32 of 44 games played, Jones totaled 145 tackles (85 solo), 38.5 tackles for loss (-136 yards), 6.5 sacks (-61 yards) and four fumble recoveries during his career. His 38.5 career TFL are the most in Syracuse history by an interior defensive lineman, while his 145 career stops tie for 10th on SU’s all-time list for tackles by a down lineman.

The 6-foot-3, 305-pound Jones was elected as a team captain for the Orange during his senior season after earning All-Big East first-team honors in 2008.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Ravens agree to terms w/ Jones

It is refreshing they are not waiting until the week before camp to get these done, but they still are taking their time. They need to get cracking early to knock these things out of the way. We should be market setters, not market responders.

So I guess David Reed gets that plus $1

Meh, I'm not worried about it too much. Without a first round pick this year, we shouldn't have much in the way of controversy. It's pretty rare you hear of anyone outside R1 holding out, and as long as they're in for camp that's what I care most about.

BTW: Market leaders typically tend to pay more, so I'm okay with us not being market leading in that sense...

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

He's a lower pick. Last year the two bottom picks didn't make the team - Drew and Peerman.

I'd be really excited if it were Kindle or Cody. Oher held out a week or two
    last year and got an extra $3M or so.

It would be nice to see Ravens pro-active with their top picks and wrap them up before camp.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 06-22-2010 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    He's a lower pick. Last year the two bottom picks didn't make the team - Drew and Peerman.

It would be nice to see Ravens pro-active with their top picks and wrap them up before camp.
    I know the FO wait until the last moment, and they did that last year too, but surprised to hear that there was a holdout last year and did he really got + 3 mill? Do you have a source..

I thougth Ngata was our latest holdout.. and it was a day or two.

Blog Entries

Just my memory and you know what they say about memories at my
    age-lol.

I'll look it up but I just remember Oher getting a couple of mill over the slotted
    amount. That's why it doesn't do anyone any good to hold out. They are still gonna get
    the slotted amount. Each pick from the first to the last gets a slotted amount and Oher's
    agent got him a little extra.

I also remember Oher said he felt that he let the team down by not reporting
    on time but did what his agent instructed. A lot of guys here were impressed with
    his saying that about the team.

I'm sure he got a little extra but will look it up.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Here you go man. Article just says other than Mason he was the last to
    sign and attend camp in 09. I'm pretty sure that was a few days if not a week
    or two late.

Tony or MoJo or someone can correct me here but I'm pretty sure he got an increase
    like $3M, I think.

http://ebonybird.com/2009/08/02/mich...ially-a-raven/

Here is his contract status. He got $13M which I think is $3M over the slotted amount but
    someone correct me on that.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...5182&sport=NFL

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post

This maybe an unpopular thought, but I think this year all of our picks make the team (may except Harewood=P Squad). Jones was a 2nd rounder projected player and before he had gotten injured possibly a 1st rounder in the previous draft (2009?). That backend of our draft is akin to us possibly taking a couple of Dannell Ellerbes. Should have been higher, but a steal none the less type of players.

Blog Entries

I agree and hope they all make it. I've read that Harewood is a project and could make the practice squad like Drew did last year.

I liked Peerman last year but he got caught in a numbers game @ RB.
    Cleve picked him up and then released him.

But all these guys could make the team except, perhaps, Harewood.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    This maybe an unpopular thought, but I think this year all of our picks make the team (may except Harewood=P Squad). Jones was a 2nd rounder projected player and before he had gotten injured possibly a 1st rounder in the previous draft (2009?). That backend of our draft is akin to us possibly taking a couple of Dannell Ellerbes. Should have been higher, but a steal none the less type of players.
    Yeah, it'll be interesting to see who makes the final cut, particularly along the DL. I mean, if Cody and Jones BOTH make the team ....well, I guess we'll see!

Blog Entries

RAVENS SIGN PITTA according to NFL source and Aaron Wilson. He got between $390,000 - $490,000
    for 3 years. He was a 4th round pick.

Pitta will be an important player - even this year.

IN OZ WE TRUST!

http://talk.baltimoresun.com/showthread.php?t=254599