Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Ken Hamlin Signs with Ravens

Baltimore agreed to terms with safety Ken Hamlin on a one-year contract Thursday, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

We don't know the details, but it's safe to say Hamlin will take a sizable hair cut from his bloated salary with the Cowboys. (Perhaps this is more like shaving your head than a haircut.)

Hamlin's roller coaster journey over the last few years proves how fickle an NFL career can be. A free agent in 2007, Hamlin only attracted a low-cost short-term deal from the Cowboys. Just one year later, Dallas awarded Hamlin a deal comparable to Troy Polamalu and Bob Sanders that included $15 million in guaranteed money.

Now two disappointing seasons and one release later, Hamlin is back on a low-cost one-year deal, trying to keep his career afloat as Ed Reed injury insurance.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...th-ken-hamlin/

Here is an ESPN scouting report on him:

Hamlin was not as active in 2008 but remains a solid free safety. He is a tall, slender player with good strength and athleticism. He is a tough and can be a physical filling the alley as a run-support player. He is a solid open-field tackler, maintaining proper body positioning and techniques on contact. Hamlin is best in off zone coverage but can handle man coverage if necessary.

Thoughts on the signing?

Re: Ken Hamlin Signs with Ravens

Meh. As a starter I'd be annoyed but as a backup S I'll take it.

From what I saw of him during his Dallas days, I can't say I'm particularly enthusiastic about Hamlin. But I don't hate the move either. Seems to me it's a question of veteran DB depth at the right price. I didn't see what kind of money is involved, but I'm guessing the Ravens feel this is a good value move in the short term. And not at all surprising after what happened last year on the injury front ...clearly they're looking to avoid a repeat of being stretched so thin if someone else goes down in 2010.

I'm guessing (hoping) that if Nakamura and Reed are 100% in Training Camp he'll be cut

He's the one LeRon McClain stiff-armed to the turf in his long TD run in the Cowboys game in 2008. I bet McClain will remind him of that a few times at camp this summer.

Had a once in a lifetime chat with Ed Reed last night at the Ruth's Chris in Atlanta. Those of you who are on my Facebook saw the post last night.

Asked him about the hip. He shook his head, said "Dunno. It's takes a while and it's day to day".

Now I read Hamlin signs. Insurance policy in case Reed hangs it up?

To me this seems more like insurance for Haruki than Ed. If Ed does not return we have big issues. Hamlin may be an upgrade over a healthy haruki but no replacement for Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    To me this seems more like insurance for Haruki than Ed. If Ed does not return we have big issues. Hamlin may be an upgrade over a healthy haruki but no replacement for Ed.
    True however there is no replacement out there.

Hamlin with 6-7 years of starting experience with solid D.s, and probably in his prime, not sure about his health, but an insurance for Haruki? If Hamlin for one minute thought he should be that kind of insurance, he would have waited for another offer or he is more than desperate.

So I think HR is rigth, this is more like Ed we are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    Are their other options out there at Safety?

I am asking seriously because I cannot think of anyone out there in FA. Haruki seems to think he will be fine come training camp. OTOH, the team is mum on Reed and given what me and my co-workers heard, he was something well short of confident about his hip. Now throw in his neck issues to the mix.

This whole thing tells me the insurance policy signing of Hamlin has everything to do with Reed.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Are their other options out there at Safety?

I am asking seriously because I cannot think of anyone out there in FA. Haruki seems to think he will be fine come training camp. OTOH, the team is mum on Reed and given what me and my co-workers heard, he was something well short of confident about his hip. Now throw in his neck issues to the mix.

This whole thing tells me the insurance policy signing of Hamlin has everything to do with Reed.
    O.J. Atogwe

Hamlin is a good player I do not think he is better than our backups and he will have to battle for a roster spot. This is more like the Kelly Washington situation last year, a vet with some gas left in the tank with something to prove, even though he says he has nothing to prove. He was a 7 year starter, franchise tagged player and pro bowler coming off a bad year. Maybe more like Redding than Washington.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    O.J. Atogwe ... He was a 7 year starter
    Wrong. He has only been in the league for 5 years and he did not start one game his first year in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    pro bowler coming off a bad year
    Wrong and wrong. Never scratched the pro bowl and he is coming off IR.

When I asked for examples of FS's that are out there, I assumed people would understand I was not referring to scrubs that cant hack it in St Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Wrong. He has only been in the league for 5 years and he did not start one game his first year in the league.

Wrong and wrong. Never scratched the pro bowl and he is coming off IR.

When I asked for examples of FS's that are out there, I assumed people would understand I was not referring to scrubs that cant hack it in St Louis.
    First of all I wrote than Hamlin had 7 years of experience and has been to a pro bowl.

Second, have you ever watched a Rams game? Atogwe is not a scrub who could not hack it in St. Louis. That may be the worst football opinion you have ever written, and you have put a lot of strange opinions out there. Read any article about the guy.

The difference in price between Atogwe and Hamlin is most likley greater than the difference in performance, but Atogwe is the best player available and it is not even close.

:T2: