Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jarret Johnson Contract is for 6 Years

Ravens agree to six-year deal with Johnson

The Baltimore Ravens have agreed in principle to a new 6-year contract with versatile LB/DE Jarret Johnson.

“It’s good to keep Jarret,” said Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome. “He has been a very productive player for us with the ability to line up at a number of positions. He’s tough, smart and always prepared. The coaches can start him at an outside linebacking spot, but he can also play with his hand in the dirt, and he’s solid in coverage.”

Johnson, who is entering his fifth year in the league, was originally drafted in the fourth round of the 2003 draft and has played in 63 games, with 15 starts, including 14 over the last two seasons. Johnson has 144 career tackles (including 96 over the past 2 seasons), 3 sacks (all in 2005 and ’06), 1 FF, 1 FR and 1 INT, which he returned for a TD.

“I am extremely excited about coming back to play on the best defense in the league,” said Johnson. “I can’t express what Rex Ryan and the whole coaching staff has done for me. They are the team that drafted me, and it means the world to me that they have the faith in me to bring me back. I love being a part of the Ravens’ defense and will continue to do what I believe I have always done – work to be the best player I can be.”

Re: Jarret Johnson Contract is for 6 Years

The length of course, is insignificant. Just shows how long they will spread out the bonus. I'll bet that half the free agents who sign this off-season league wide, will be cut within 3 years.
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.

I thought I had read that this was a three year deal. Either way, it'll be interesting to see how he does. I think he'll be all right.

This is vintage Balimore Contract style. It was reported at $13m through three years, not as a three year deal. They reported the "real" deal and the important part. It truly, for cap purposes is a 6 year deal. They could have reported a 6 yr monster contract of probably 35m or so, becuase that is likely how it's written, but that's not their style. I like this news as it increases our cap flexibility this year and next.

Put me down as being from Missouri on Johnson, I'm not sold.

Alright. Those of you who say that we should resign our guys before they become studs are going to get what you wanted. Just hope that JJ can become the star they believe he can be.

Im with Stockers, im not sold on JJ at all.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

Neither am I. In fact I'll go so far as to say they are making a mistake both by signing him for that long and for making him the starter now. They need to draft an OLB on the first day for sure. I will say it now, he won't be starting halfway through the season (if we draft a OLB prospect, if we don't, god help us). Not hating on the guy at all, I love his work ethic and his grit, but I don't think he is going to be a good starter.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

Contracts int eh NFL are not guaranteed. there is no reason not to sign someone for as long as possible.
    That said, I think that JJ should be an adequate fill -in a position of relative lwo-need. JJ jsut has to be solid in the run game, generate some sort of pass -rush with little attention, and make a play here or there. Bart Scott will help in coverage more, and in the playmaking Dept. Scott, Pryce and Suggs will pick up some slack in the pass rush. JJ does is more stout at the POA so our rush defense should actually improve.

Wow, I'm a little surprised at all the negativity about JJ. Did any of you think that AD was going to turn out to be a Pro Bowler when he finally became a starter? You don't have to be sold on Johnson yet, but at least give him a chance. He might turn out to be a lot more effective than you think.

I'm not suggesting that he'll be as good as AD, but it probably won't be a big drop-off for the number one defense last season. Our D will be okay.

JJ just reported on Steve Davis's Show that he signed a 5 year deal.

In responding to JJ's impact, I think JJ is the next breakout star on this defense. He won't be just like AD, but he will become an impact OLB. I can remember folks saying that our defense would be significantly weaker with Bart Scott replacing Ed Hartwell. Hell, some even questioned Bart Scott's toughness to being a fulltime starter. Who would you rather have now? Bart Scott or Ed Hartwell?

Another player to keep an eye on is Gary Stills. I see some star potential in him as well.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

In responding to JJ's impact, I think JJ is the next breakout star on this defense. He won't be just like AD, but he will become an impact OLB. I can remember folks saying that our defense would be significantly weaker with Bart Scott replacing Ed Hartwell. Hell, some even questioned Bart Scott's toughness to being a fulltime starter. Who would you rather have now? Bart Scott or Ed Hartwell?

Agreed.

That is the thing. Your average message board type fan isn't a talent scout. They can't see how players will / won't develop. And so, they'll complain that we signed a JJ to a 5-6 year deal, but they'll complain that we didn't sign AD to a longer contract before, or that we didn't resign him this year.

JJ is a great signing. You want Ravens players, not journeymen IMHO. You want guys who will play their heart out for this city. AD was like that, and JJ is like that.

I wouldn't wan't an arrington or porter or hartwell or whoever who's just out for himself, and might ruin team chemistry.

JJ will do whats asked of him; he won't freelance; he won't complain about play calls, and I think he'll get the job done.

Fans should be supporting his re-signing; if you want to see players overpaid, you should become a Deadskins fan. A Deadskins fan . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    Agreed.

That is the thing. Your average message board type fan isn't a talent scout. They can't see how players will / won't develop. And so, they'll complain that we signed a JJ to a 5-6 year deal, but they'll complain that we didn't sign AD to a longer contract before, or that we didn't resign him this year.

JJ is a great signing. You want Ravens players, not journeymen IMHO. You want guys who will play their heart out for this city. AD was like that, and JJ is like that.

I wouldn't wan't an arrington or porter or hartwell or whoever who's just out for himself, and might ruin team chemistry.

JJ will do whats asked of him; he won't freelance; he won't complain about play calls, and I think he'll get the job done.

Fans should be supporting his re-signing; if you want to see players overpaid, you should become a Deadskins fan. A Deadskins fan . . .

Yup. The Coaches know exactly what they are getting with Johnson. They've seen him for 4 years seasons including every mini-camp, OTAs, training camp, pre-season, and regular season games.

That's invaluable IMO.

Every time you bring in a F/A, you take a gamble. You gamble that the player will:

1. Mesh with teammates.

2. Adjust to schemes being run.

3. Not regret signing with the team.

When re-signing a guy who's been with your organization for 4 years, you pretty much eliminate all of those gambles.

Now you hope your gut and evaluation is correct and that the guy is a player worth the investment.

PP