Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Kruger

Paul Kruger

I haven't heard anything about how he's looked so far. Has he shown he can handle the extra weight. Good mobility, bull rush, etc. ? Does he have a chance of even making the team?

Blog Entries

Re: Paul Kruger

There is a post on the baltimore sun's ravens insider blog with a short video interview with Kruger. He talks about the weight gain and his changing role.

Maybe the guy doesn't like talking to reporters but he seemed kinda offish talking about it.

I know it's early, but this kid will find himself quickly on the outside looking in with the talent we possess. It only took a year, but in my fan's eye it is looking more difficuly to find a place for this guy to even get on the field. Between draft picks, freeagents, and veterans we may not see him on the field again this year either unless there are injuries. To me since he does not play special teams or warrant a special package like some others on the team do further cements this thinking of mine. In my opinion with a team this deep now, he possibly is just on the wrong team at the wrong time. With the direction that the front office has taken, this isn't the same team that would have waited around for Dan Cody solely because of draft status. If you can't make it here you just can't b/c there is too much competition to waste a roster spot. I am in fact a Kruger supporter as I am for all of our draft picks, but I don't like the writing on the wall.

Wink Re: Paul Kruger

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    we may not see him on the field again this year either unless there are injuries.
    Disagree completely. Given Pryce's and Gregg's ages, Ngata's injury, Cody question marks .... Kruger's chances of seeing a decent amount of playing time are pretty good.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

5. Re: Paul Kruger

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Disagree completely. Given Pryce's and Gregg's ages, Ngata's injury, Cody question marks .... Kruger's chances of seeing a decent amount of playing time are pretty good.

6. Re: Paul Kruger

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    I know it's early, but this kid will find himself quickly on the outside looking in with the talent we possess. It only took a year, but in my fan's eye it is looking more difficuly to find a place for this guy to even get on the field. Between draft picks, freeagents, and veterans we may not see him on the field again this year either unless there are injuries. To me since he does not play special teams or warrant a special package like some others on the team do further cements this thinking of mine. In my opinion with a team this deep now, he possibly is just on the wrong team at the wrong time. With the direction that the front office has taken, this isn't the same team that would have waited around for Dan Cody solely because of draft status. If you can't make it here you just can't b/c there is too much competition to waste a roster spot. I am in fact a Kruger supporter as I am for all of our draft picks, but I don't like the writing on the wall.
    Kruger was taken as a 2-3 year project. It was known that he would take a few years to be the player the FO wanted, and he will be Pryce's full-time replacement next year.

I really don't think you could be any more incorrect on your assessment of Kruger's future on this team.

I too think Kruger is/will be groomed as Pryce's replacement next year. However, he will have to earn it on the field. He does bring a non-stop motor and intensity. But he must also produce. There are a lot of guys who will give you effort. The difference is at this level, that is not enough. That is what burns you up at guys that have alot more talent but dont bring it every play.

Kruger will have competition from others on the d-line. But I think he has the most potential at this point. He can drop back and pass rush. If he is productive he will be there next year. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    That's fine. You did however just name four DT's when Kruger is projected to be a DE. With those four DT's there is also McKinney, Talavou, and the rookie Jones that are in the mix at DT as well. At DE currently would be Suggs, Redding, Pryce, and Kruger, but wouldn't that change based on down and distance? Who's to say that Barnes or Kindle aren't putting hands in the dirt on passing downs ala AD did. I also am making the point that project or not, Kruger can quickly be loss in the depth of talent we have and will continue to acquire every year that he is held in "project status". Playing or not.

Blog Entries

"Project status" just means that the player needs some time to adjust to playing the position to be NFL ready, but once they get it, they'll be HUGE.

At one time, Joe Flacce was a bit of a "project"...he was coming from a small school, a lot of scouts thought he would need some time to hit a big ceiling. Kindle is considered a project, in that he's going to be asked to do more pass coverage than he did at Texas. Dannell Ellerbe is a project, considering he was a UDFA, needed to get his focus down.

Project Status doesn't mean the team is going to be overwhelmed with better options. It just means the guy might not have as many early returns as someone who's been playing the position all along. But then you have to ask, would you rather have average early returns, or potentially long term superb returns?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    "Project status" just means that the player needs some time to adjust to playing the position to be NFL ready, but once they get it, they'll be HUGE.

At one time, Joe Flacce was a bit of a "project"...he was coming from a small school, a lot of scouts thought he would need some time to hit a big ceiling. Kindle is considered a project, in that he's going to be asked to do more pass coverage than he did at Texas. Dannell Ellerbe is a project, considering he was a UDFA, needed to get his focus down.

Project Status doesn't mean the team is going to be overwhelmed with better options. It just means the guy might not have as many early returns as someone who's been playing the position all along. But then you have to ask, would you rather have average early returns, or potentially long term superb returns?
    Oh I get the term "project status" I just think it will not matter when he is trying to elevate himself from the mix of players we already have here (or next yr rooks/FA considering the BPA mantra). He could very well become a pretty good player for us, but I just don't feel the same as some other posters here. I want him to prove me wrong. I just think that he will have his chance because of draft status and not his ability. I just think that he may be another Edwards which isn't bad, but at the sametime we are looking for some support in the pass rush from the other side. Nothing awe inspiring from the pass rush, but enough to warrant not double teaming Suggs and beating his opponent 1x1. If that's not him in this defense then what can he bring differently? Wait and see...
    Last edited by Stealthbirds80; 06-14-2010 at 12:57 PM.

I think that a lot of Kruger's future is going to depend on if he can play as effectively at a higher weight with added muscle.The key will be if he can still maintain his quickness. He needs the added weight and muscle to add some type of bull rush technique to his pass rush ability. He doesn't have the speed of an elite pass rusher although he has good quickness and seems able to anticipate snap counts well.

I'm hoping he really steps up. I hate seeing round 2 picks wasted although it is part of the biz.

Lot of good points from the posters so far on this thread. Still, I have to wonder. Project or no project, patience or impatience, there's one fact that keeps coming back to me: We have an awful lot of guys competing for positions in the defensive front 7. Even given the likelihood this might be the final season for both Gregg and Pryce, that still leaves a lot of competition for a limited number of spots THIS year. Do you keep Kruger at the expense of a guy like Ayanbadejo? It would seem unlikely; Ayanbadejo is a much more valuable ST player if healthy. And “healthy” might just be the key word regarding Kruger’s chances this year. If everyone else stays healthy …a big “if”, admittedly … where exactly does Kruger fit? I understand a lot of you guys are Kruger fans, and that’s fine. But I wonder if his only short term chance rests on the odds of someone else getting hurt. Otherwise, it’s another year for Kruger to wait until we see someone retire. And another year of little to no playing time won't make him a better player; it'll just add rust no matter how much he works out or bulks up.