NFL Salaries Out Of Control

NFL salaries are totally out of control. The way they are going you will be paying $ 150 per game real soon. The owners won't take it on the chin only the fans.

Re: NFL Salaries Out Of Control

What's so insane about this is these mediocre players are getting massive contracts based on cap space NOT via rough comparison with players of similar ability and age.

The NFL crappy players for big money bubble. Cash in while you can.

AD is rumored to be getting between 15 to 20 million guaranteed and he'll be 30 when the season starts!

To be honest, I've never understood teams giving mediocre free agents top money for their position (and even for other positions, things are crazy). Of course, NFL salaries are never what a contract says they are, but it's getting a little ridiculous (see Dockery contract with Buffalo)

My predicitions:

Ovie, Pashos, AND AD will be cap casualties in two years.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Ovie's salary isn't really that bad.

The salaries can't get totally out of control based on the salary cap-- at sometime the contract becomes a burden and cap casualties become the norm. The NFL's formula for determining what the cap is driven by the television money and the last CBA. Economic reality is that the TV money isn't going to go away (especially if the league becomes PPV) and ticket prices aren't going to remain the same for more than a year or two. Which would you rather have-- the situation across the yard where a team has the resources to build a contender but is micromanged by an incompetent owner or one where the owner is going to lock up the young talent and let those who are are on the wrong side of the age curve go. The Ravens' front office has a proven track record of finding productive players where others don't. AD turned into a better player than anyone would have thought, but that doesn't change the fact the he'll be thirty before the next season starts and at that age production goes down (See Ray Lewis...before people jump on me...that's not a slam on Ray....just an example). Thinking they can't find another Pashos or Ovie overlooks a lot of history. They learned after they had to do a cap purge in 2002 that there is a better way.

Steve, How correct you are. Unfortunately its that $150 ticket, or a Mayflower truck. Gotta pay to watch THEM play.
    SS

Dennis Northcutt just got 3.5mm per year. Looks like the market may be adjusting a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by wash yourself View Post
    Dennis Northcutt just got 3.5mm per year. Looks like the market may be adjusting a bit.
    Yea, adjusting to the more ridiculous.

The Jags is the team that gave it to him too.

PP

What bothers me is, these teams have all this money to spend on mediocre players. They obviosly have a need so they are willing to give big monoey for average players.

What happens when there is more talent out there, the better players such as freeny, suggs, and deangelo halls of the world when they become free agents they are going to ask for money that is going to make these contracts, including clements contract, look rediculous

I will add Northcutt's name to those who will be cap casualties within two years.

As for us, we should start our negotiations with Suggs now. I know he is looking at this market and thinking of what he could get on the open market.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!