Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Bills reportedly want Jared Gaither

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Would you give up a shot at the Super Bowl for a draft pick in the following years draft. A pick that likely won't even be a first?
    All of this would depend on what the return would be, but to answer your first question, I would say yes. You can disagree with me, but I believe it's all about winning multiple championships, and being competetive year after year. So I am fine giving up talent for one year if you can parlay that into future talent for years to come (there are no guarantees that we win a championship if we keep Gaither).

So let's say you're incorrect in your assesment of Gaither's value and this was a top 5 pick in next year's draft. Does that change your opinion?

To be honest, I am really on the fence on this one. On one hand, you have an immensely talented (and young) left tackle, with whom you are clearly better this year, but on the other hand you have a guy who has had his work ethic and commitment questioned by the organization and may or may not already have 2 stikes against him in regards to the League's substance abuse policy for which you could get significant compensation.

Right now, unless the Bills or some other team blow the Ravens away with their offer, I would lean toward keeping him.

You people are out of your minds if you think the Bills are going to dish their 1st rounder next year for Gaither. Why in TF would they do that now when they seemingly wouldn't offer a 2nd rounder for us in THIS year's draft???

At this point I'm not sure there's anything I'd really want for Gaither cause I don't see an adequate replacement for him. Before the draft at least we could draft his replacement.

However, I will say that if we do trade him now, it's an extremely strong statement of what the team thinks about:
    a) his value as a player (particularly vs. the backups they have), and/or
    b) his contract demands (whatever they are).

I have trouble seeing him playing here next year. Clearly - as many of us predicted - they're moving him to RT. He won't want to be paid as a RT, and so I make the odds pretty high of him looking to get more from another team as a LT than from us as a RT.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    You people are out of your minds if you think the Bills are going to dish their 1st rounder next year for Gaither. Why in TF would they do that now when they seemingly wouldn't offer a 2nd rounder for us in THIS year's draft???

At this point I'm not sure there's anything I'd really want for Gaither cause I don't see an adequate replacement for him. Before the draft at least we could draft his replacement.

However, I will say that if we do trade him now, it's an extremely strong statement of what the team thinks about:
    a) his value as a player (particularly vs. the backups they have), and/or
    b) his contract demands (whatever they are).

I have trouble seeing him playing here next year. Clearly - as many of us predicted - they're moving him to RT. He won't want to be paid as a RT, and so I make the odds pretty high of him looking to get more from another team as a LT than from us as a RT.
    - C -
    Agreed. And I hate it.

I still believe he is the better LT, however Harbs/Ozzie statement is evident, they disagree.. For whatever reason; talent, dedication, Drug abuse, Drew Rosenhaul.

I do not buy the money argument either Tony, Reed, Ray and a lot of big money players will come off the books before Oher, Flacco and Rice are up.
    You don't have to buy it JW. But it is a big part of the equation. Investing huge sums of money in guys with questionable character can crush a team's cap situation if the questionable character becomes an issue...(see Haynesworth).

And the other thing it does is it weakens your depth. If you can't afford to pay quality backups because you've invested so much in the front line players, injuries become even more devestating.

I'm just trying to share things that are shared with me. If you want to live in denial, that's your perogative.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Whilst I agree, there are upsides financially to them doing so. Buffalo and likely picking in the top five next year, and quite likely the top three. Whilst they'll want a franchise QB at some point, it's going to cost a lot of money to pay that pick, a the moment they're going to have to pay Spiller a hell of a lot of dough. If they traded for Gaither they're going to have to pay him top LT money to keep him long term. Financially that is a lot of money to pay in two seasons and assuming a salary cap comes back it's going to hurt somewhat.

Like I said, I agree with you. It makes more sense for them to trade a player and a lower pick.

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    You don't have to buy it JW. But it is a big part of the equation. Investing huge sums of money in guys with questionable character can crush a team's cap situation if the questionable character becomes an issue...(see Haynesworth).

And the other thing it does is it weakens your depth. If you can't afford to pay quality backups because you've invested so much in the front line players, injuries become even more devestating.

I'm just trying to share things that are shared with me. If you want to live in denial, that's your perogative.
    I want the facts not horror stories about other teams alleged cap issues. The Skins may stink but it is not because they spend too much money.
    They buy the wrong players and give away draft picks. The Ravens draft very well and bring in good and cheap free agents. Foxworth vs Deangelo Hall, Haynesworth vs Trevor Pryce or Cory Redding, or and Redding is still way cheaper. The Ravens make tons of money and spend it well for the most part. They only had a little bit of cap issues recently because of the last capped year rules and a lot of dead money from JO, CMac, McNair and Rolle.

Oher has 4 years left on a 5 year 13 M contract.
    Rice and Flacco are not up for new deals although they could make a case and hold out.

Ray, Reed, Pryce, Gregg, Heap and the other over 30 types with big contracts will be gone before those young guys get new deals.

How are you paying 2 guys LT money if you pay Gaither LT money? He is worth more than Andre Smith and he is a RT.

I do not see any comparison to Haynesworth in the Gaither situation. First of all he is not nearly 30 or a multi pro bowl player. Second, can I get one fact on the record about Gaither that is negative? Just one? Lazy, work ethic, greedy, selfish, stupid, what is that? How can I take those kind of rumours seriously even when coming from a legit source when there is never anything substantial there. He has not missed many games. I saw him shut down Trent Cole playing with one arm. I know he was playing hurt last year but getting the job done. There are guys out htere that grade OL play like KC Joiner, Filmstudy and others that rate him very high.

Help me understand how this makes sense.

As of now players need 6 years to become UFAs. What is the urgency? Where is his leverage to do anything but create rumours? That is what his agent does, but it does not always work.

To me it seems like Harbs is playing the game as well. Moving him around, calling him out in the media for not coming to workouts and such.

Is there anything on the record from the team or his agent that he wants to be traded? All I have heard is he wants a new deal and he deserves one. He has way outplayed and out worked his original contract despite the rumours and issues that caused him to be a 5th round sup pick.

He has not signed his tender so the team can not trade him anyway until he does, and at this point I can not see the value in it.
    Last edited by Jeremiah W; 05-08-2010 at 08:19 AM.

:T2:

I want the facts not horror stories aqbout other teams alleged cap issues. The Skins may stink but it is not because they spend too much money.

Oher has 4 years left on a 5 year 13 M contract.
    Rice and Flacco are not up for new deals although they cold make a case and hold out.

Ray, Reed, Pryce, Gregg, Heap and the other over 30 types with big contracts will be gone before those young guys get new deals.

How are you paying 2 guys LT money if you pay Gaither LT money? He is worth more than Andre Smith and he is a RT.

I do not see any comparison to Haynesworth in the Gaither situation. First of all he is not nearly 30 or a multi pro bowl player. Second, can I get one fact on the record about Gaither that is negative? Just one? Lazy, work ethic, greedy, selfish, stupid, what is that? How can I take those kind of rumours seriously even when coming from a legit source when there is never anything substantial there. He has not missed many games. I saw him shut down Trent Cole playing with one arm. I know he was playing hurt last year but getting the job done. There are guys out htere that grade OL play like KC Joiner, Filmstudy and others that rate him very high.

Help me understand how this makes sense.

As of now players need 6 years to become UFAs. What is the urgency? Where is his leverage to do anything but create rumours? That is what his agent does, but it does not always work.

To me it seems like Harbs is playing the game as well. Moving him around, calling him out in the media for not coming to workouts and such.

Is there anything on the record from the team or his agent that he wants to be traded? All I have heard is he wants a new deal and he deserves one. He has way outplayed and out worked his original contract despite the rumours and issues that caused him to be a 5th round sup pick.

He has not signed his tender so the team can not trade him anyway until he does, and at this point I can not see the value in it.
    emoticon-0179-headbang.gif

I hear the Bears are looking to trade Julius Peppers

emoticon-0179-headbang.gif

I hear the Bears are looking to trade Julius Peppers
    Alright. Peppers would have been Haynesworth like, the Ravens did not camp out in his driveway like Lovie Smith did. Lovie may have taken out any other lurkers in the bushes anyway, it could have got ugly.

I read what you said, and understand what you are saying you can not say on the record, I do not see the money problems though, the Ravens make way too many good investments to have to give away a good young talent like they were a small market baseball team, or a team like the Bills that is scrambling to keep up finacially.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by elland View Post
    Why on earth would the Bills give their first round pick away, sure if he was the missing link, and he is not with so many obvious needs.

McKelvin and a draftpick 3-4 round?

Btw Ravens without Gaither is not going to the playoffs.
    He will almost certainly be better then any tackle they could draft with that pick, particularly in the next 3 years while they are clwing their way back up the AFC East.... Top 5 or whatever, any player they pick has at best a 50% chance to be as good.
    They'd be CRAZY not to trade only future picks for him.
    IF we only get a future pick for him we will struggle this year

Anything less then McKelvin is a firesale... straight up with McKelvin is forced undervalue based on league-wide rumors. We shoudl be able to get more, Gaither is a much better player at this point, with more room to grow. Terrence McGee plus high picks could be a consolation prize

Chances are the Ravens are the best they could be this year with him playing.

good investments
    You just hit the nail on the head: GOOD INVESTMENTS

READ

Read between the lines JW...maybe the Ravens don't think Gaither is a good investment. Maybe they think that they've gotten a lot already in return for a 5th round supplemental pick and to parlay that into something else before his slacky work ethic gets worse after a fat new contract, makes that supplemental pick and even greater investment.

Maybe the Ravens don't think Gaither is a good investment.
    And if that's how they feel... they're almost certainly right. Quick, JB, JW name a player who left the Ravens and did ANYTHING.

And no Derrick Anderson doesn't count, he had one freak season and then regressed to terrible. I'll pass on that thankyouverymuch.

If they're worth keeping, we keep them. If they aren't, we don't.
    “I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats.” -Ray Lewis

Then you must like Dan Snyder's old approach to managing the cap.

Keep in mind there are other players that are going to require new lucrative contracts who I think are better long-term Ravens than Gaither and more important given the presence of Oher...namely: Ngata, Rice and this guy named Flacco.
    Keep in mind that Oher won't be making LT money for 4 more years, and that is only "if" he plays LT during that time period at an average or better level.

The fact that people think the LT play last season was even comparable between these two players is BAFFLING to me. To me, every single game Gaither played at LT was better then every single game Oher played at the position, hurt or not.
    I think moving the line around at all makes us worse.