Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Biggest Bust Ever:

Ryan Leaf and Brian Bosworth are still bigger busts than Russell. It is deeper than the draft position or the contract. Russell did not have the hype coming in that Bosworth and Leaf had. Ryan Leaf is supposed to be the other QB dominating the league right now along with Peyton Manning. Bosworth was the movie guy.

Russell may be down as a starter, but someone will pick him up and put him their bench. He still has a chance for a decent career. Plus, folks, JeMarcus was drafted by the Oakland Raiders. Nuff said.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Statistically though, if you watch that video, Russell has the WORST stats of any QB since his draft year.

And there is no team that is going to take a chance on him, maybe even as a backup. At least David Carr and Joey Harrington got shots elsewhere, Harrington even as a starter.

JaMarcus may need to take that money he got from his rookie contract and invest it in something. Because his playing days may be over.

Although, there is always the UFL.

I think Russell has to be the biggest draft bust of all time (assuming that he does nothing in the future of course). Considering the insane amount of money he was guaranteed, you have to put him above Leaf. He might be/have been a slightly better QB than Leaf, but while Leaf was atrocious, Russell is/was still very bad. The kicker has to be that money he pocketed, b/c it hampers the Raiders now a lot more to bomb on a #1 or #2 pick than it did in 98 for the Chargers. Hey, if Stafford or Bradford bomb like Russell (don't think they will ever be that bad...Stafford looks ok so far... but ya never know), they will become the biggest draft bust of all time. After the new labor deal is agreed upon (fingers crossed that it is soon!!), we assume that these insane rookie contracts will be a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    I think Russell has to be the biggest draft bust of all time (assuming that he does nothing in the future of course). Considering the insane amount of money he was guaranteed, you have to put him above Leaf. He might be/have been a slightly better QB than Leaf, but while Leaf was atrocious, Russell is/was still very bad. The kicker has to be that money he pocketed, b/c it hampers the Raiders now a lot more to bomb on a #1 or #2 pick than it did in 98 for the Chargers. Hey, if Stafford or Bradford bomb like Russell (don't think they will ever be that bad...Stafford looks ok so far... but ya never know), they will become the biggest draft bust of all time. After the new labor deal is agreed upon (fingers crossed that it is soon!!), we assume that these insane rookie contracts will be a thing of the past.
    The Raiders had the #1 pick for a reason when they got him. All they had to do was draft Calvin Johnson or Joe Thomas and they would not have over paid or picked a bust.

Since they got Russell the Raiders have improved. but they are still to bad of a franchise to judge the guy after 3 seasons when he sat out half the first year and was benched or hurt half the time after that.

He was one of the worst QB I have ever seen at times, but at other times he did look like he was the #1 pick with monsterous potential. Look at his OL, his WRs and backs. The TE is the only legit target.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    I think Russell has to be the biggest draft bust of all time (assuming that he does nothing in the future of course). Considering the insane amount of money he was guaranteed, you have to put him above Leaf.
    Leaf got ridiculous money for his time. Ten years from now it's possible if not likely that the money dished out to top 5 picks will put today's money to shame.

Money has nothing to do with what makes a player a bust. Okay, not "nothing," but if you compare his cap impact to Leaf's, there's nowhere close to enough difference to off-set how absolutely god-awful Leaf was both as a player and as a locker room cancer. Russell has a loooooooooooooong way to go before he can touch that kinda bad.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

You know, no one talks about Alex Smith in this category either. Is he even still on the 49ers? He was their #1 pick and they gave him insane money too.

I remember his first year he threw 1 touchdown TOTAL, and 14 picks. He was horrible.

Yeah, Smith is still with them. He looks like he's getting better though. Not good, but at least not horrendous, and a serviceable backup. Russell looks like he's got no redeeming value what-so-ever.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

I think you could flip a coin between Leaf and Russell, considering where they were picked and how spectacularly they flamed out. I think one of the worst aspects of Russell was the fact that he simply didn't seem to care that he sucked. Leaf was an immature prick with the Chargers, but somehow Russell's casual, shrugging "Who cares, I'm getting paid" attitude seems even worse.

But at least his total failure makes this Al Davis quote even funnier -- "He's a great quarterback, get over it." Sure, Al. Good call.

And speaking of Alex Smith, the 49ers had the misfortune of having the first overall pick in a really weak draft. In a normal year, Smith would have been lucky to be among the top three or four picks.

Back to Russell, will anyone even bother picking him up? I guess someone will, but I'm not sure who. Maybe the Colts, since their backup rarely gets into a game anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    Back to Russell, will anyone even bother picking him up? I guess someone will, but I'm not sure who. Maybe the Colts, since their backup rarely gets into a game anyway.
    If it was my team, I'd rather have someone - John Beck or Troy Smith come to mind - who could be counted on to show up to meetings and pay attention in practice than have someone with twice the potential who needs a SWAT team to get him to show up at meetings and even they aren't enough to keep him out of the buffet line.

He's a guy who appears to need a lot of coddling, and no team wants to have a backup who needs to be coddled.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    If it was my team, I'd rather have someone - John Beck or Troy Smith come to mind - who could be counted on to show up to meetings and pay attention in practice than have someone with twice the potential who needs a SWAT team to get him to show up at meetings and even they aren't enough to keep him out of the buffet line.

He's a guy who appears to need a lot of coddling, and no team wants to have a backup who needs to be coddled.
    It is quite possible that is how it is, but I think there is a lot more to the story starting with the former HC and Owner battling about picking him in hte first place hard enough to get the HC fired "with cause".

He got a ton of money to captain a sinking ship. Plenty of guys had early struggles like he did including Stafford, but the coaching and the veteran leadership was not there, and motivation can be hard to find in those situtations.

The franchise always picks in the top 10 recently and Russell may not have even been the worst of the 1st round picks they made. They have not had a good one since Asomogha. They have made terrible free agent moves. They pretty much only have a TE and couple decent backs and some big stiff bodies up front. There are some young WRs with talent, but there is not much there to work with. Not that Russel is not to blame for letting himself get out of shape or not learning the playbook, but based on his long hold out and body language, he seemed like he never really wanted to be there.

His college coaches tell much better stories about him, and all the critcs say that he has the talent. He has no legal issues and does not seem like a bad guy.

I would offer him a second chance in a heartbeat, but not much money.

Alex Smith also would have been cut after his 3rd year but he took a pay cut to stick around. Russell may have made a better move by getting cut. I doubt they would have brought him to mini camp if he had been out of shape or not prepared, but they already pretty much commited to Campbell and may only have this off season to unload his contract without huge cap hits.

The guy can throw. I would want to get him just to save Flacco's arm in practice a little while giving the WRs the same kind of looks. Beck and Smith could use some comp and both of them are on one year deals.

:T2:

I don't know guys, Ryan Leaf was the Perfect Storm of S.U.C.K. (Shitty Underachieving Chargers Kid). His like may never be seen again. Besides, it's arguable that simply BEING a Raiduh is enough to turn a good player bad.