Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: is it too late for a Cut Clayton Sign Kelley washington campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    Clayton is smallish and plays that way. That is not the same for all WR's his size or smaller *cough* Steve Smith,*cough* Wes Welker
    RIIIIICOLAAAAA... Yeah, Wes Welker and Steve Smith, you are absolutely correct. Clayton just has problems with consistency. If he could put up 900 yards a year and not just ONE season in his career, he'd be our legit #2. BUT, we have a Boldin/Mason combination, so we win anyway. :)

The thing about Clayton is all this time he has been a starter. He was the 2nd best WR on the team. I do not think he is lower than 4th now.

:T2:

I will preface this by saying I am not exactly a Clayton fan. As a first-round pick, he's only been marginally better than Travis Taylor. He can't stretch the field and his YAC has been disappointing. That said -

Many of you are annointing Stallworth as the #3 way too early. He's basically coming off a lost year and wasn't setting teh world afire even before that. Clayton still has to be #3 unless proven otherwise.

A sparkplug when getting a first down (dramatic ref signal)

Awesome dances upon TD's (I can't get enough of that NFL network commercial)

Wow, there's a reason to sign the guy.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    I will preface this by saying I am not exactly a Clayton fan. As a first-round pick, he's only been marginally better than Travis Taylor. He can't stretch the field and his YAC has been disappointing. That said -

Many of you are annointing Stallworth as the #3 way too early. He's basically coming off a lost year and wasn't setting teh world afire even before that. Clayton still has to be #3 unless proven otherwise.

Quote:
    A sparkplug when getting a first down (dramatic ref signal)

Awesome dances upon TD's (I can't get enough of that NFL network commercial)

Wow, there's a reason to sign the guy.

Agree for the most part. Most of us would say that Clayton has been a disappointment, and contributes little or nothing on ST. That said, he is something of a proven commodity, and might be regarded as veteran insurance in case Stallworth doesn't pan out.

Washington had a decent year for us, but I'm not sure he's any better than Clayton as a WR. As to Washington's 1st down/touchdown antics ...this kind of thing may appeal to some, but as camdenyard said, it sure ain't a legitimate reason to sign a guy.

Let training camp sort it all out, I say.

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Many of you are annointing Stallworth as the #3 way too early. He's basically coming off a lost year and wasn't setting teh world afire even before that.
    I can understand what you mean when you say that. I believe that the reason why he is being "annointed" is because he's the fastest Raven...period. Speed kills and he has it in abundance. He adds the deep threat that Clayton is not.

I believe that the reason why he is being "annointed" is because he's the fastest Raven...period. Speed kills and he has it in abundance.
    D. Williams has speed to burn too, but he could never get open or hold onto the ball. Color me unimpressed by Stallworth until he can do both consistently.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Kelley Washington isn't as good a receiver as Clayton. Also, Mason is year-to-year, so Clayton is certainly worth keeping around.

I see no reason for this.
    Maybe, but, last year, KW caught passes in big situations and Clayton dropped them. KW has size and can take a hit in the middle, Clayton does not. IMHO, it is time for Clayton to move on as Travis Taylor did.
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens