Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jarrett Johnson signed?

I was just reading John Claytons wrap up on the flurry of activity today and caught this.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=2786311

The biggest loser Friday was the Ravens. Right out of the box, they lost three players -- right tackle Tony Pashos, Mughelli and Franklin. They are expected to lose linebacker Adalius Thomas to the Patriots on Saturday morning. The Ravens stopped some of the bleeding by re-signing defensive tackle Jarret Johnson for around $13 million over three years. Plus, they also have a decent chance of re-signing halfback Jamal Lewis. Last year, the Ravens lost several players in the opening days of free agency but were able to rebound. Can they do the same thing again?

And since when is Johnson a DT?

PP
    Last edited by purplepoe; 03-03-2007 at 12:47 AM.

Re: Jarrett Johnson signed?

Good.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Good.
    I wouldn't say "good" yet. This is not being reported anywhere else. I'd wait for some legit confirmation before celebrating.

If JJ is re-signed, I think he's the next break out star to emerge from the shadows a la Bart Scott.

Think about it. Last offseason, we lost Kemo and Weaver (both who went on to do squat) and we kept Bart Scott. Scott went on to become a star. This offseason, we lose AD, Pashos, and Ovie, and we (hopefully) keep JJ. JJ is the most underrated player on this team.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

I'm seriously seriously not sold JJ. I hope I'm wrong but $13 mill over three years? I can't believe that's his market value. Last I heard he was on a visit San Fran along with Clements.

Blog Entries

it's that damn new cap. People are spending Confederate money...I'm sorry, but no way is Mughelli the NFL's best full back, far from it...

JJ is worth 2-3 mil a year, but that would put his contract at 9, not 13.

Aubrayo Franklin leaving is a non factor...now we just have to hope Dwan steps up.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    it's that damn new cap. People are spending Confederate money...I'm sorry, but no way is Mughelli the NFL's best full back, far from it...

JJ is worth 2-3 mil a year, but that would put his contract at 9, not 13.

Aubrayo Franklin leaving is a non factor...now we just have to hope Dwan steps up.

Again, this is NOT reported anywhere (internet or TV), so don't count this as news until it is made official. Clayton has been wrong about signings before.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    Again, this is NOT reported anywhere (internet or TV), so don't count this as news until it is made official. Clayton has been wrong about signings before.
    Brent Harris on Comcast is reporting this also.
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.

Blog Entries

according to ESPN's Sleeper FA list, ESPN expected JJ to get 4 mil a year somewhere, listing him as the top sleeper.

I'll wait to hear what he gets, but he's definitley the mold of player I'd want to replace AD.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    YES IT IS.

Brent Harris from OUR local station reported it as well.

Why are you so freakin hell bent on this?

And to everyone who says he's not worth it, then what do you want the Ravens to do? Obviously the market is crazy with some of the insanse contracts given out. Johnson was drafted here and the coaches know him very well. It's certainly a much better signing than many others so far around the league. Hell, he probably could've gotten more from another team.

PP

I'm seriously seriously not sold JJ.

He'll be a fine AD replacement. i wasn't sold on adalius until we resigned him and then he started ripping shit apart.

I think for most non-1st round draftees it takes 3-5 years of seasoning to get to where you're going.

I think the future is bright for JJ. Just like it is/was for someone like Bart Scott.

On defense, we are DAMN GOOD at coaching up talent. i would attribute that to Ray as an on the field coach, and also to the coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    He'll be a fine AD replacement. i wasn't sold on adalius until we resigned him and then he started ripping shit apart.

I think for most non-1st round draftees it takes 3-5 years of seasoning to get to where you're going.

I think the future is bright for JJ. Just like it is/was for someone like Bart Scott.

On defense, we are DAMN GOOD at coaching up talent. i would attribute that to Ray as an on the field coach, and also to the coaching staff.
    In my mind he's a poor man's AD and that's not a compliment.

He's not as quick, he's less athletic, he's weaker at the point of attack, he doesn't read the game as well and he doesn't cover as well as AD. You can say that about a lot of people but to me JJ doesn't seem athletic enough to drop in coverage, he's not got the pass rush moves to get after the QB and he's not got the strength to take on O-linemen in the run game (I remember in particular our game at Denver in 2005, he played most of the game and every single play he was against Matt Lepsis and he got owned on every single play.

He strikes me as a jack of all trades that you can pick on routinely. Far rather surrender a bit of versatility and sign or draft a higher quality, but less versatilie sam to complete the trio with Ray and Bart.

all things considered, it's going to be a step down no matter what we do.

even a top olb-de in the first may not be quite as good. There has been some looking at Spencer, but he's rising on "internet" boards.

Porter is an option if he's healthy, but will probably be too much money. Not quite the man in coverage and being all over the field, but able to run with TEs and much better pass rusher.

I've been looking around and JJ seems the best option to come in and play along with seeing if Cody is worth keeping around at all.