Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

More Front Office Stupidity (San Francisco)

Per profootballtalk.com

LEMENTS BLOWS OUT THE CURVE

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the San Francisco 49ers have signed cornerback Nate Clements.

It's a mind-boggling eight-year, $80 million deal, with $22 million in guaranteed money, and it makes Clements the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history.

A league source tells us that, as a practical matter, it's a six-year deal worth $7.25 million per year.

Clements was expected to be pursued by several teams. But he never got out of San Fran.

80 million???? What is the NFL coming to???

Clements is not worth that at all.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

Re: More Front Office Stupidity (San Francisco)

Did you even read it? It's really 6yrs about %43.5m, that's real steep, but he is a top notch corner, and they are hard to come by.

What I read off PFT just said 80 million, 6 years, and 22 million bonus. No breakdown, excuse me for not reading the same article you did.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

Re-read your own post, that's where I found it.

:bag:
    -Mark Clayton

*giggles @ Nolan*

That's a ton of money, but the Niners are serious about becoming contenders now, and their secondary was one of their weakest areas. Clements is the kind of players who can help them go to playoffs

I think the 49ers made a smart move. With Walt Harris coming out of obscurity and emerging as a Pro Bowl CB under Nolan's scheme, adding a top tier CB like Clements makes them even more competative in their division with all the great WR tandems they must face. Money well spent in my opinion.

Michael Lewis is also another good pick up for their secondary.

The deal is actually 7 years, 6 mil a year. If you want to laugh at the 9ers for that, laugh at the Ravens for franchising C-Mac twice and then giving him the current contract.

You dont know how much a shutdown type 1a franchise corner is worth until YOU DON'T HAVE ONE