Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Concern over corners overblown

With the front 7 we now have, we won't need any CBs not with 6 guys blocking just Ngata and Cody while Suggs and Kindle breeze by everyone else and Ray blitzing up the middle. Some just don't understand that.

Our CBs will be back there drinking a cool one while watching the show.

:happyanim
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-26-2010 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Really.. We need a number one. The whole depth chart looks better if they move down a notch.... It's been an issue since Cmac and Rolle and will be for at least one more year.
    Yep, us and about 25 other teams.

To me, our biggest failing with CBs was not grabbing Jabari Greer last year when he was floating around.

You guys understand that there's only one dude named Revis and one named Asomugha, right? Dominant, shut-down corners don't grow on trees. Even good ones are hard to find.

We've got five solid ones for their given depth. We don't particularly need more unless we find out that both that suffered season-ending injuries last year will miss significant time this season. Significant > 6 games.

Oh, and early projections are they won't miss six.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Oh, and early projections are they won't miss six.
    I think Harbaugh is BSing us fans in this regard. We know for a fact that he doesn't mind lying to the fans about injury statuses from his first pre season here as a coach if it's in the interest of the team.

Add that there is nothing to be gained by admitting a need for corner and I just can't see him telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Nobody is going to be able to call his bluff until tc opens anyway at the earliest.

To me, there is just too much negotiation leverage to be lost. There is a huge difference calling teams or agents saying you are interested in an upgrade of your 5th string CB Walker/Ivey compared to calling admitting that you are looking for healthy bodies because you cannot even field 4 CBs and your season is about to go down the drain before it's even started.

Blog Entries

Even if you believe that everything Harbaugh tells you is a lie, do you really think Ozzie would let the situation get so bad to where we are just hoping a good vet gets cut and decides to come here? Trust me, if they knew that the injuries were so bad to where the chance of them being available by Day 1 was completely zero, Ozzie would've made his move already. Yeah, maybe both won't be 100% by Day 1, and we'll need a guy as a stop gap for a few weeks. But I can't see Ozzie identifying we need someone for most of the season and then saying "well, I'll see what we get through the draft, and then play the vet market by ear".
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

The problem is that the first mini camp starts in the next week or two. You can't go into mini camp with only 2 NFL quality corners healthy (Foxworth and Carr). They either need to make a committment to Walker now and/or hold an open try out with guys like Harper, Smoot, Lucas, Bly, Townsend and James (or whoever) and may the best man win...similar to how they picked up Kelly Washington last year which turned out pretty well. I'd like to see them do both...add Walker and pick up another guy. At this point, they need to add at least one guy and then maybe they wait until training camp to pick up another guy depending upon how Washington and Webb are coming along and how they feel about Gerard and Williams based on their mini camp performances. If they only have 2 NFL quality corners at mini camp, they're wasting everybodies time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswarrior19 View Post
    Yep, us and about 25 other teams.

To me, our biggest failing with CBs was not grabbing Jabari Greer last year when he was floating around.
    Did any of the other 24 NOT draft a corner? About 40 corners were drafted, we may have been the only team not to draft one. Heck even NYJ, certainly one of the "7" drafted a first rounder because they realized they need 3 starters.

Did any of the other 24 NOT draft a corner? About 40 corners were drafted, we may have been the only team not to draft one. Heck even NYJ, certainly one of the "7" drafted a first rounder because they realized they need 3 starters.
    I guess my point is, once we made the decision to trade out at 25, we weren't getting anything near a #1 CB anyway. Chances are, there wasn't a true shutdown corner anywhere in the draft.

In the later rounds, Oz made the decision to go with the TEs, etc. instead of a developmental corner.

We will likely need to add CB depth before the start of the season. I'd rather that depth be vets with NFL experience than some hopeful rookie. I'm waiting to see us sign a Fred Smoot or Dre Bly type in the event that Fabian and Webb can't go week 1.

According to Fabe's twitter, he is able to run although not at full speed yet.

If we had taken the best corner on our board instead of David Reed and Art Jones in Rd 5, would we feel any better about our situation? I surely wouldn't.

Newsome reminded reporters that there are still four months till Training Camp and that the Ravens’ roster is “fluid.” In essence, the Ravens will be looking at free agency options.

“We’ll find a way to add a corner,” Harbaugh said. “We’ve got guys who can play. Two guys are getting healthier, and I’m real excited about what we’re going to do in the secondary. We’ll be fine.”
    Along with a list of available free agents http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/...he_Market.aspx

Blog Entries

Off that list...

Don't touch Will Allen for the DUI (I believe in 2nd chances, but combine ACL injury and that, not something we need), Pass on Nick Harper because of the injury, pass on Smoot because he doesn't play the run well...

I'd be ok with Dre Bly or Ken Lucas, but I think I'd probably most want to see William James. He won't be a gamebreaker, but looks like he should be a solid addition that would upgrade over Frank Walker and maybe Chris Carr.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Heck even NYJ, certainly one of the "7" drafted a first rounder because they realized they need 3 starters.
    No, they drafted one because Crommartie is a giant question-mark, and Revis has only three more years before he will be able to demand a $100MM contract.

And we have three starters. Say we draft someone in the first round like Wilson. Eight weeks into the season we've got Foxworth, Wilson, Webb, Washington and Carr; and you're whining about how our pass rush sucks and Suggs is worthless. How is that anything but a giant bucket of Fail?

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

I'm pretty sure we will make an addition before August when it matters, but the last two SB winners had average cornerbacks (one elite safety) and a superior pass rush. Sound familiar? The concern is overblown.

Does anyone have a list of potential cuts?
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens