Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Moore, Sams, Darling offered tenders

I don't understand why the team is keeping Devard Darling when they seem to have no intention of using him? And the only thing keeping Moore on the team is his towering height. Other than that, both WRs are expendable.

However, Sams is a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by dbcw View Post
    I don't understand why the team is keeping Devard Darling when they seem to have no intention of using him? And the only thing keeping Moore on the team is his towering height. Other than that, both WRs are expendable.

However, Sams is a keeper.
    The tender is not a commitment. For different reasons, all 3 of these players could find themselves in the unemployment line, making 0$ from the Ravens.

They still have to *make the team*, and I would not be terribly surprised if none of them do.

Sams ain't no keeper, either. :2c:
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave52 View Post
    ... I would love it if someone took Darling off our hands for a third rounder though.
    Yeah that’ll happen right after Cinci makes a season with no arrests…

Sams may have a couple problems but I do love to watch him run with the ball. I just want to make sure we don’t get another Brightful. I hate it when I have to watch the game through my fingers, wincing at plays (Brightful returns, Boller long passes – or snaps for that matter etc…) At least we know when Sams is in there he’s gonna get us good yards.

4. Re: Moore, Sams, Darling offered tenders

Sams was the Jump start this team needed when the offense couldnt get it going. Once Sam's got the ball movin, the offense seemed to get rollin a little better. Mianly because Sam's would run half the field. I hope they get this guy signed again and just help him out with his Drinking Problem. Also I dont wanna see Corey Ross running any return, scared the crap outta me everytime he tried to catch the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    I just want to know why we're throwing money...ANY money...at scrubs like Darling and Moore. Save it for Ovie.
    Ovie signed with the Falcons, so he's not available.

As for Moore and Darling that is 1.7M in wasted space right now that could go towards our rookie pool. At this point, I'd take a Paul Williams and any other WR from the draft over Darling and Moore.

I am surprised that Kelley Washington has not visits or interest. I'd take him for the price of Darling and Moore (well about 1M).
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Blog Entries

if we can get a 6th rounder for Moore, someone must be smiling on us. We cut the guy last year, and then I had to slap my forehead when we re-signed him.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by MoK55 View Post
    Sams was the Jump start this team needed when the offense couldnt get it going. Once Sam's got the ball movin, the offense seemed to get rollin a little better. Mianly because Sam's would run half the field. I hope they get this guy signed again and just help him out with his Drinking Problem. Also I dont wanna see Corey Ross running any return, scared the crap outta me everytime he tried to catch the ball.
    Sams had one great game (Cleveland? Not sure) and that was it. He was a better-than-average return guy, but not more.

/begin rant/
    Concerning your comment about the team needing to 'just help him out'.

Art Modell was one of the first NFL owners to institute aggressive support for players with substance abuse problems. To my mind, it's one of his lasting contributions to the sport - compassion and treatment for those who need it.

Don't think for a *second* the team does not try to help each and every player with that demon on his back. Unfortunately, as you may know, when it comes to addiction, even the best treatment plan and guidance will not help the one who isn't ready for it.

I would like to have found something from the old days when Modell was a pioneer on the issue, but I did find this link from 2000:
    But it was the Ravens' venerable owner, Art Modell, who perhaps set the tone for the NFL's prevention-first attitude in terms of policing player conduct, offering this summation Tuesday as means of explaining the league-wide problem:

"You have to understand the psyche of the players," Modell said. "Some of them come from broken homes. No mother, no father. They're drooled on by all the athletic directors and coaches in America. Then they major in ballroom dancing and the pros throw $8 million at them.

*That* was the Ravens under Art Modell, and I doubt that attitude has changed under Steve Bisciotti. Compassion and aid first, rightly hidden from the fans.

Not trying to be a critic, just trying to educate.
    /end rant/
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

For Sams - would an injury settlement have been less cap hit?
    There would have been no cap hit to let Sams go, he was a RFA who we could have made a free agent by just not making an offer. We made an offer he gets but he can shop his services.

Our offense went to pot when he went down, I don't think it is a coincidence.

A good return man – which Sams is – gives a great initial spark to an offensive drive. Once Sams went down Ross just didn’t offer the same spark (not did he remember the fair catch rule most of the time).

I’m with Greg on this one.

I wish Sams a speedy recovery and look forward to him back in Purple next year.

We're still going to need some help from somewhere in the return game, however, as Sams will probably miss 4 games when his DUI comes to court. And what if he gets another? He could be gone for the year! I don't mind a low tender offer, he's shown he is very valuable on the field, but he really needs to prove himself as responsible adult before I really count on him.
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

11. Re: Moore, Sams, Darling offered tenders

Festivus,

I was wrong about the Helping out part. I did not relize how in depth they got. I completely understand that you can reach out and help somoene to a point and if they person doesnt want the help they will refuse and continue down the wrong path.

But would you not rather have a return man who is better then average, then have one who is just average. I do not wanna have to deal with watching Corey Ross attempt to catch the ball. It was just completely fustrating. I do not wanna see Mark Clayton go in either just because I would hate to see him get hurt.

The point I would be more concered about is Sams not mentally recovering from this injury. When he starts to question himself once he catches the ball.
    Last edited by MoK55; 03-06-2007 at 01:59 PM. Reason: added a name

Quote Originally Posted by MoK55 View Post
    I was wrong about the Helping out part. I did not relize how in depth they got. I completely understand that you can reach out and help somoene to a point and if they person doesnt want the help they will refuse and continue down the wrong path.
    Sadly most of us know people in that struggle. I wasn't trying to give you a hard time & I hope you didn't take it that way.

If Sams signs for the low tender offer this year that's fine. He was an above-average return guy, as I said. I am hoping if he leaves we can do better than Ross, who is below average.

I'd settle for average.

Concerning the low tender offer:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwaihir View Post
    We're still going to need some help from somewhere in the return game, however, as Sams will probably miss 4 games when his DUI comes to court. And what if he gets another? He could be gone for the year! I don't mind a low tender offer, he's shown he is very valuable on the field, but he really needs to prove himself as responsible adult before I really count on him.
    I agree 100%. I don't mind it but I hope we have, and this isn't *too* much to ask, a better alternative to Sams if/when he serves a suspension and if/when he does something like this again.

Both for his own sake and for the team's, I hope he is now a better, healthier man.
    Festivus