Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Schedule release/discussion (10 minute early spoilers?)

Seems like we will have the same ebb and flow as the last two seasons...especially with having 3 homes games in Dec. Not bad having one of the road games in Dec. at Cleveland.

First four games I can see us going 2-2. Hard to tell w Cincy. Could be 3-1.

We got screwed. I'll be the first to say it - the NFL is out to get the Ravens. (again).

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenfan_11 View Post
    We got screwed. I'll be the first to say it - the NFL is out to get the Ravens. (again).
    lol

Wink Re: Schedule release/discussion (10 minute early spoilers?)

Typical NFL. When the weather is great in early season: only two of the first six games are at home. But when it gets cold: four of the last six are home. Thankfully, only one home night game, even though it had to be scheduled in December.

And what's with this b.s. from Cass?:

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    “It’s a challenging schedule, and with the number of primetime games, it’s flattering,” team president Dick Cass said.
    Jets, Patriots, Steelers, Chargers, Colts and Cowboys all have five prime time games. Even the 4-12 Redskins get 3 games.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Typical NFL. When the weather is great in early season: only two of the first six games are at home. But when it gets cold: four of the last six are home. Thankfully, only one home night game, even though it had to be scheduled in December.

Jets, Patriots, Steelers, Chargers, Colts and Cowboys all have five prime time games. Even the 4-12 Redskins get 3 games.
    Honest question.

Do you think the NFL should schedule our games to ensure the best chance to have good weather games?

PP

6. Re: Schedule release/discussion (10 minute early spoilers?)

Well, with the possible exception of the Chargers, those are all "public teams." If a bunch of people will bet on the Steelers in an "even" matchup (and they will), Vegas oddsmakers will make the Steelers favored in the game because their job is to make money, not to treat any particular team fairly. That's why it's usually dumb to complain that betting lines vs. the Ravens are unfair. Same with prime time games. Those teams listed above get the best ratings. Networks have to sell ads to beer companies, so you're going to see the Cowboys on prime time in a higher proportion than you or I personally care to see them.

The Ravens' value as a franchise and nationwide popularity at least in part depends on the amount of national exposure we get and that we perform well when in front of a national audience. That is why it was so devastating to see the Ravens perform so god-awfully in their prime time games (we had a pretty severe streak going). Most fans and most writers don't watch the Ravens unless it's a prime time game, so that's why lazy people will say "____ team beat themselves" if the Ravens did manage to win one, even if it wasn't true. Since the Ravens finally have a dynamic offense (fingers crossed) there is more potential for the team to become more nationally popular, and Cass is probably expressing his enthusiasm for this possibility.

I watched 19 games last year, but I can't blame somebody who just watched the 09 Ravens take on Pitt, Indy, NE, and so on, for thinking we were a team of chumps who couldn't perform in the clutch. That's why it was so emphatically important that we played to our potential in the Wild Card round and put a huge whoopin' on NE, but even that was still written about and discussed in the context of "NE falls apart" rather than "Gee, this BAL team might be good." The more performances we have like that, the less Raven fans have to deal with this annoying crap. Although, until we can score a touchdown vs. the Colts D perhaps we don't deserve a reprieve.

I saw a thing on NFL network recently that the league was looking into scheduling more games in very cold weather cities like Buffalo early on in the season and giving more home games to cities like Tampa and Miami late in the season. Since when did the NFL give a crap about fan comfort?

Also, I understand that the Dolphins are charging $10 more for seats that are in the shade for the early season games.

I am just happy Southwest is now flying direct from PCB to Baltimore, so I can get to more games!
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Wink Re: Schedule release/discussion (10 minute early spoilers?)

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Honest question.

Do you think the NFL should schedule our games to ensure the best chance to have good weather games?

PP

Yes. The season ticket holder provides the backbone of NFL finances. Before TV began dictating NFL schedules, there had been a tilt towards warm weather and dome teams getting the late season games at home. That's how it should be today. This season, most of our December games should be in Atlanta, Charlotte, and Houston, and any prime time home games should be scheduled no later than the end of October.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Yes. The season ticket holder provides the backbone of NFL finances. Before TV began dictating NFL schedules, there had been a tilt towards warm weather and dome teams getting the late season games at home. That's how it should be today. This season, most of our December games should be in Atlanta, Charlotte, and Houston, and any prime time home games should be scheduled no later than the end of October.
    You're in favor of granting southern and domed teams an automatic late season advantage? Your club seats have softened you.

Seriously, this is probably the worst suggestion I've ever seen and I read the entire "Ozzie should trade for Peppers" thread.
    “I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats.” -Ray Lewis