Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: What do people think about Gaither for a 2nd?

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    That's a pretty foolish decision to have been made.
    WHy would yoiu make a decision like that when there is 300+ days to change your mind before you have to decide?
    Teams do it all the time. One example of a reason would be that because in three years, Gaither hasn't changed the fact that he dogs is on a somewhat regular basis. So then maybe he changes that for his contract year, but why should the team believe that's the real case and not the three years worth of data prior, and that he'll start doggin' it again as soon as he signs his contract? Hence, they decide to go a different direction.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Teams do it all the time. One example of a reason would be that because in three years, Gaither hasn't changed the fact that he dogs is on a somewhat regular basis. So then maybe he changes that for his contract year, but why should the team believe that's the real case and not the three years worth of data prior, and that he'll start doggin' it again as soon as he signs his contract? Hence, they decide to go a different direction.

- C -
    If he is this good when he dogs it, hwo good is he going to be when he trys? JO number 2? If, as a KID, that jsut turned 24, who dogs it so bad he is headed out of town no matter what, then we can assume he's at his floor. What's his ceiling? Best in the league? IF he dogs it so bad, then why is he still so good?

IT just seems foolish. All of this "certainty" talk is foolish. I think it is a negotiating ploy to get the kid to grow up quick before he is gone. But I see no reason a rejuvinated Gaither doesn't get re-signed. Same old, same old, sure send him packing, but a new attitude and he should stick around for even fairly silly money.

Blog Entries

If we trade Gaither (something I'm against) it has to be for multiple picks in my view. You're going to need one pick to replace Gaither anyway.

It is very difficult to find great OT. Look at the Ravens history. Other than J.O., what great tackles have we had? Now we have 2 great tackles, which is a luxury, and we want to part with one of them.

We could not replace Gaither with an equal replacement, even if we moved Oher to the left side. Flacco is a traditional pocket passer and still a very young QB. He already was seriously hurt last year in that Minnesota game and he never fully recovered from it.

I would read the riot act to this Gaither and get him to change his lazy ways. The Ravens knew all about his work ethic when they took him in the supplemental draft, yet they still drafted him. It wasn't a problem then, and it shouldn't be a problem now.

The only way I would trade him is if he is causing trouble with the coaching staff and we, the public are unaware of what is truly going on.

I just think great tackles don't grow on trees and if you lose Gaither to get a second round pick, then you are going to have to use that pick on getting a servicable right tackle.

Almost no one - myself included - has ever said that they WANT Gaither to go, despite how more than a couple of folks on this board like to over-dramatize how there are a ton of people that want him gone.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    There is no reason to think he will not be here for the next 4 years. That is when Oher will be up for a new deal, and by then so many of the big money over 30 vets on the roster will be gone, and there are not that many other guys here that will have the leverage to get huge deals.
    I believe Gaithers time in Baltimore will be up as soon as he's eligible for free agency. Also I believe the rumblings from insiders about his work ethic, his agent Drew Rosenhaus will want elite tackle money or close to it and that may be the sticking point why Gaither is still in Baltimore if the Rosenhaus track record means anything. If there are questions about attitude and work ethic before a player cashes in it usually doesn't get better once the contract is signed.

People act like the Ravens have a problem with Rosenhous clients, when in fact, we have several, and ejoy fairly solid status with him compared to the league.

As Ravor has hinted, if there is a deal done for something like a 2d it will be because the Ravens know something we do not.

TL wrote that Gaither is supposedly in The Program. Obviously if the Ravens do not have much confidence in his ability to stay clean then he'd be gone for whatever is fair market value for someone with the proverbial million dollar arm and ten cent head.

So yeah, I'd send him for a 2d, if that's what he's worth behind closed doors. His big downside may be one not visible on the field...
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    As Ravor has hinted, if there is a deal done for something like a 2d it will be because the Ravens know something we do not.

TL wrote that Gaither is supposedly in The Program. Obviously if the Ravens do not have much confidence in his ability to stay clean then he'd be gone for whatever is fair market value for someone with the proverbial million dollar arm and ten cent head.

So yeah, I'd send him for a 2d, if that's what he's worth behind closed doors. His big downside may be one not visible on the field...
    I see your point, but 16 games with Gaither in the fold on THIS TEAM is worth more hten a second round pick.
    Unless he is IN THE PROGRAM like Holmes is, as in suspended and not quitting, then I guess I would have to agree that 12 games of Gaither is probbaly worth a second...

But really, it's gonna be legal soon enough and shouldn't be a worry... 5 years or less if Obama is reelected, perhaps more if not.

Blog Entries

Bear in mind he hasn't signed his tender yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    People act like the Ravens have a problem with Rosenhous clients, when in fact, we have several, and ejoy fairly solid status with him compared to the league.
    I never stated the Ravens have a problem with Rosenhaus, if you got that out of my post it's your imagination running wild.
    I guess you don't remember the T.O. saga, it's about the money with Rosenhaus. If a team ponys up the money Rosenhaus is a fan. He's doing his job.