Blog Entries

Player draft invites

From http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-attend-draft/

NFL confirms names of 16 players who will attend draft
    Posted by Michael David Smith on April 12, 2010 8:02 PM ET
    The new three-day NFL draft format will include an increased number of players attending in person, and the NFL announced today the names of 16 players who will be there.

The list of players includes the ones you'd expect -- Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford, Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy -- as well as some notable absences, including Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen and Florida quarterback Tim Tebow.

In addition to Bradford, Suh and McCoy, the players who have accepted invitations are running backs C.J. Spiller and Jahvid Best, cornerbacks Joe Haden and Brandon Ghee, offensive tackles Russell Okung, Bryan Bulaga and Trent Williams; defensive tackles Lamarr Houston, Jared Odrick and Dan Williams; defensive end Derrick Morgan, receiver Demaryius Thomas and safety Eric Berry.

The NFL hasn't said whether the 16 names it confirmed today constitute the full list of players who will attend.
    Interesting info to sort into our thinking as to who could fall to the Ravens.
    My guess is that these are players that insiders have good information are going the first day.

No Dez Bryant, can't see him not going day 1, but maybe character issues make him too hot of a potato?

Jahvid Best? Maybe they noticed Jeremiah's hyping, or maybe he really is a lot higher than we think on somebody's radar.
    Bay-Bay made the list, does that mean he is not expected to drop as far as 25?

Brandon Ghee yes and Wilson no? that is puzzling

More puzzling is
    Lamarr Houston
    Could potentially play the five-technique in a 3-4 scheme --- Saw draft stock soar on the heels of a standout senior campaign --- Impressive physical specimen whose best fit at the next level will probably come as an attacking three-technique in a 4-3 front.
    Either I'm missing something or there are plans to have some attendees make it to day 2 to create stories and fill some air-time. Highest I've seen him is 2nd, with a number of 3rd rd assignments.
    So maybe it doesn't mean they are first day locks, thoughts?
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Re: Player draft invites

two things to remember here...

#1 - Certain guys might be turning down invites just because they don't want the hoopla. I'm trying to remember who it was, I think Joe Thomas turned down an invite because he wanted to stay home with family and go fishing. You just can't argue with that.

#2 - Because of the (IMO, ridiculous idea) three day draft, the NFL WANTS to have some player going in the 2nd round on hand to boost the ratings. A player less 2nd round on Friday night prime time would fall so flat the NFL would be forced to abandon this idea. So they invited at least a handful of guys to have on hand who probably don't go in Round 1 but instead are around to make Day 2 look somewhat interesting.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

3. Re: Player draft invites

Tebow turned down the invite. He probably knew he wouldn't go on the first day and didn't want to look like a jerk being the only one there not picked.

Re: Player draft invites

Here's my hope is that the ratings aren't what they expect and next year it goes back to normal (Sat and Sun). Plus it gives horrible teams more time to gather thier thoughts. I'll miss my draft day/bar day at Padonia Station for the first round too on Sat. I can't be hung over on a Friday or want to be. It's was also a good excuse for day drinking besides game day