Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Where were you on 9/11/01

Yup, just like me to bring the place down.

It's 9/11.

I'm not sophisticated enough to write anything too thought provoking or philosophical. I thought it might be worthwhile as Ravens fans, thinking back to what we were each doing that day.

Five years ago, I was sitting in my car outside my dentist's office. I had my Micky D's coffee, waiting for my 9AM appointment, listening to 98 Rock. Lopez (RIP) gave the report of the first plane hitting the WTC. I thought it was a Cessna or some other small plane. I walked up to the office and the Doc had pulled out a small color TV and perched it on the receptionist's desk. I watched in the waiting room with three or four other people as the day's events unfolded.

We know the rest. While I got my teeth cleaned, both towers collapsed. I went back to work where we had a TV and sat and watched with my wife.

Today she made me take down the Ravens flag and put up the Stars and Stripes.

If you have a flag, please consider flying it for 24hrs in remembrance especially if it normally sits in your closet. Spare a few thoughts for the thousands of families whose lives were forever changed that day.

If you feel moved to post anything political, we would appreciate it if you could post it in the proper forum.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Admin Steve; 09-11-2006 at 08:24 AM.
    Admin Steve :uk:
    Screwing up Ravens message boards since 1999.

Re: Where were you on 9/11/01

I was in Buffalo, NY in a meeting in an office building directly across the street from the Buffalo Airport. The thing I remember most about that morning was seeing plane after plane landing at the airport out the office window, but NO planes taking off. It was eerie.

I was at work when someone came out of their office and said a plane had hit the first tower. We all kinda went "What?" and thought the same as you Steve. Must have been some nutcase who got turned around. I got a small TV that we have at the school and we watched in horror as the second one hit and the aftermath. A co-worker of mine husband worked at the Pentagon and she was frantic and when she finally heard from him was when we found out about the third plane . . . . I won't say what he does, but he knew what he was talking about.

I left work about an hour after that when we heard that it was a terriost attack. At that time my daughter was in a Jewish preschool and all I could think of was to get her the hell out of there and home with me and safe. My oldest was in Garrett County at the time and called home and asked what to do. I told her to stay where she was because she was far enough away from DC that if they kept it up she would at least be safe.

It was a horrible time . . . my sister was in DC for a meeting and I couldn't get in touch with her and didn't hear about her being safe until the next day.

I remember being terrified about some of the people that we knew that worked in Washington and lived in New York who posted on the old board. It was quite a relief when they all finally checked in.

I still cry every time I see any kind of footage or hear any commentary about that day. I will never forget the images or how I felt or why we do what we do as a country to protect ourselves.
    Screw 'em all

Proud Member of BASH - Baltimore Association of Steeler Haters

It was 1 week before my daughter was born and I just got back froma Doctors appointment,and there police were all over.
    Your Local Embroidery and screen printing Company..
    Cecil Countys Number 1 Raven Fan

I remember I was actually on the beach in Ocean City, MD when a friend came to me and told me what had happened!

We all went back to the apt and just sat in silence by what was unfolding. I can't believe that was 5 years ago! When you think about what happened on that day it really makes you appreciate everything and everyone around you.

My thoughts are always with those who lost their lives on that day and with their families and friends who are left behind

:usa:

Five years ago today, I was where I am at now which is work. I was flipping through sations on my portable CD/AM/FM/TV player (which I am actually using right now also), and came across the JoJo & Kenny show on Mix 106.5 for a couple minutes, when one of them said that a plane had just flown through the WTC. My first thought was that it was an accident with a pilot not knowing what he was doing. I made the announcement in the room what had happened. Then immediatley after that, a co-worker who was home that day called in and said another plane had hit the other tower, and that's when I along with others knew something was wrong.

I went upstairs to the cafeteria, where there was a big TV, and saw what was happening. It was almost unreal. I remember seeing the first tower fall and just being in disbelief. I don't think I worked anymore that day, and since I work for the Police Dept at Headquarters in Towson we were considered a target so the entrance was blocked off and security guards were everywhere.

I pretty much stayed glued to the television all day when I got home, besides reading the old RN2 Ravens board. I just remember being in disbelief, and for me, it didn't really sink in until the next day.

I was at work and had no clue what was going on until I saw all my co-workers crowded around the radio listening. Then I heard. I was in total shock & disbelief. They let us go home the rest of the day.

I was at a convention at the Inner Harbor Marriott when I caught a glimpse on the lobby TV of the first plane hitting the tower.

A huge crowd gathered quickly and everyone was absolutely silent for about 20 minutes until the first building went down, then all hell broke loose and people started crying and screaming and shouting.

My brother-in-law (Chris) is a LT in the FDNY and when I saw that building go down I immediatly made a bee-line for the front door and headed for my wife's office. I knew she would be a mess and I had this over-whelming feeling that I simply had to get to her immediately.

As soon as I stepped outside the building a BCP Bomb Squad truck came screaming by with sirens full blast. I considered for a momment that NY may not be the only target and I instantly went into a near-panic mode.

I found my wife safe but in hysterics on the 8th floor of her office building. She had been trying to get her sister and brother-in-law (and the rest of her family who work in NYC) on the phone since it all started and had yet to reach a single member of her immediate family.

It was almost 3 more hours until she got a call from her sister who, as it turns out, had stayed home with morning sickness that day. Chris had finally checked in and told her that he was OK, but that he couldn't talk.

The rest of the family called in through out the day and thankfully all were safe.

Chris lost 6 members of his house during the first building collapse and another 6 during the second collapse. He has been battling with grief, survivors guilt and a host of health issues ever since.

My family and I take a momment each 9/11 to stop and reflect on the bravery of the NYPD and FDNY. Those men are the purest definition of heros and they should be celebrated at every opportunity.

/salute to the men and women who dedicate their lives to protecting ours.

/salute to the soldiers who protect our borders and fight our wars.

I actually had taken the day off to go fishing. I went over to pick my buddy up and he told me that a plane had just flown in to the WTC. I sat down and we watched in disbelief as the second plane hit. To this day I can't put in to words the feeling I had watching that, and hope I never have them again. We continued to watch as the towers fell. In half stun half panic I went and got my son and brought him home, called to make sure my daughters were OK, and spent the rest of the day in a haze watching the news.
    SS

Blog Entries

www.cnn.com has a stream from 9/11/01 in real time if you are so inclined to want to see it unfold.
    Admin Steve :uk:
    Screwing up Ravens message boards since 1999.

11. Re: Where were you on 9/11/01

I was work out at Bayview Hospital. I remember setting in the lounge area when the first plane hit..

Political comment removed
    Last edited by Greg; 09-12-2006 at 10:38 AM.

Response to political comment removed.

If you see something on a forum that doesn't belong please just alert a moderator, responding and especially quoting the offending remarks just means we have more to clean up.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Greg; 09-12-2006 at 10:39 AM.