Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Where were you on 9/11/01

I was at work (no radio, no TV). A friend of mine worked in New York and started emailing me about what was going on and sending pictures. I was stunned. I told some of my co-workers what was going on and we got a radio and turned it on and started listening. At that time I worked next to BWI airport, so when the plane hit the Pentagon the owner of the company got everyone together in the conference room and sent everyone home for the day.

The thing I remember thinking was so eerie for days afterwards was driving to work and not seeing any planes in the sky.

I also remember how eerie it was without planes in the sky. And when you did hear one, every head around would turn up to look at it, as if it was the first one they had ever seen.
    She had me at "Hell, NO!"

I was at work as well, at the Alex. Brown Building in downtown B-more. The guy in the cube next to me told me that the first tower was struck, then my boss and I went into one of the conference rooms to watch the coverage on CNN on one of the huge TV screens. That's where we saw the plane hit the second tower. Many people filtered in and out of the room, taking in the awful scenes. At about 11am, they let everyone go home, partly because the Alex. Brown Building was one of the tallest in downtown B-more and being on the east edge of town, might be a target. No one knew what to think.

We were a part of Deutsche Bank which had their main office building right next door to WTC, and that building was ruined when the towers fell. I kept remembering all the times I went to the WTC, taking the PASS train from New Jersey to the station underneath. We had a couple people in my dept (IT) up there that day, and they made it out okay, having to walk/run up to the ferries near Chelsea Piers to get across into NJ.
    We also had offices in several of the WTC buildings, but no one was harmed. As for all those who perished that day, we shall never forget.
    :usa: :usa:
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

It was 1 week before my daughter was born and I just got back froma Doctors appointment,and there police were all over.
    My son, Joey, was born on the 17th. Amy was past due with him and sleeping when this all happened, I was just getting to work when the second one hit. I thought "they must be confused, they probably got a report from somebody talking about the first accident." By the time I got to my cube it was clear there was no confusion.

My dad (RIP) called Amy that morning and asked how she was doing, not knowing he woke her up. She said "fine" and he asked if the news was bothering her and then kind of joked "if that doesn't get you in labor nothing will." She asked what he meant and then she finally realized something big was happening.

I was pulling up to work at Price Waterhouse in Linthicum at the time. I had Stern on the radio and they saw the plane fly in to the tower out their window. They thought it was a helicopter or something at first. We were supposed to have an all hands meeting that morning but when the second plane hit and the plane hit the Pentagon, we all started watching coverage on the web and in an office w/a tv. That was the end of work for that day.

I listen to Howard Stern on Sirius all day while I'm at work and he replayed the show he did that day. It was very interesting to listen to his broadcast because Cabbie and Ralph called in and they were in their respective apartments downtown and could see everything that was happening. Their coverage was probably better than what we got from TV that day.

How did Stern manage that? I thought they weren't going to allow him to take any of the tapes with him?

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac
    How did Stern manage that? I thought they weren't going to allow him to take any of the tapes with him?
    He got them in the settlement with CBS after they sued him. That's all they have been promoting lately is "the tapes", and on Labor Day weekend they played all-request bits from over the years.

The Stern 9/11 show was very good. It is interesting to hear how much he has changed his tune over the years though. On those tapes, he was screaming for war and to blow up the Arab countries, and even to go into Iraq to get Saddam (they played the tape from 9/11/02 as well). Today, he is a staunch opponent of the war and criticizes Bush over it every chance he gets.

I agree, he has really come full circle on his views about the attack and what our response should have been to it, but the coverage that day was really great. I think that his views that day are what he really feels, but Howard has his own agenda and it's all about him and his career.

I'd really like to know what he is like today. I haven't listened since he left free radio.

Howard was born to be on Sirius -- the show is great. Artie is extremely funny. I don't like some of the other people on the show now -- Sal the Stockbroker and Richard Christy. They are just too gay for me. But the show is really great and Howard doesn't have to rant about being censored any more.

I was woken up by my brother who is a pilot for United who told me before the second plane that we were under attack. No planes fly anywhere near Manhattan at that altitude and if one is going down they are going to try their hardest to crash it into water not fly full speed into a building. The amazing thing is if you read the 9/11 Commision report we didn't send out fighter planes to stop Flight 77 until 20 minutes after it crashed into the Pentagon! Pilots said they were told to fly towards the Atlantic Ocean because the Russians were sending missles at us! WTF?
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.