Thread: De/olb?

De/olb?

In the upcoming draft we will draft at least one player to cover at least one of those two positions. This is due to the loss of AD, and potentially JJ. Suggs has played OLB before and does so every time we shift ot the 3-4. So my question is this, you are Ozzie, and you have decided that AD is out of the plan, how do you man these two positions as starters today and from here on forward. How do you cover depth? Whom do you draft and when?

Me, I'd start by re-signing JJ cheaply for 3-4 years. Next, I'd go into the draft thinking I can go in either direction or both. Suggs, Johnson and Cody can all play both positions. I would consider using the 29th pick on either Jon Beason , Adam Carriker, Jarvis Mossor Puz. All are likely to be gone, and that's ok because maybe players like Abiamiri, Johnson, or Woodley fall futher then they should, though the only other OLB i really like is Shaw, also from Penn State, though I suppose Robison could be interesting to try there after what he showed today. I think that in general I prefer the idea of getting a Full Sized DE listed above in rds 2 or 3, and shifting Suggs back to OLB full-time. I think that Johnson likely provides depth or potential starting ability at DE and CODY provides depth and situational rush skills. I don't know muych about developmental guys, but if we go DE on day 1, I wouldn't mind an OLB with ILB potential on day 2, or the opposite, if we go a hybrid type Rush End on day 1, I wouldn't mind a BIG DE or maybe even college DT project to provide future depth at End taken day 2.

So what do you say?

Re: De/olb?

I agree on trying to retain JJ for this year if at all reasonable. He was a solid backup and while he might not be AD I think he will fill in admirably in the DE-OLB role shared by AD and Suggs. In exchange right, we're going to lose a little versatility, but AD is of a rare breed athletically. Besides, I have absolute faith in Rex Ryan.

Carriker would be a great fit for the Ravens. He did quite well during Senior Bowl week and has shown dedication in his numbers at the combine. While some might view it a detriment that he's a DT/DE hybrid, that fits perfectly in the Ravens offense in the Trevor Price role where he could fit well into a line position at the 3-4 and 4-3 level.

I do agree it seems like he'll be selected before the Ravens pick, he's done so well when examined recently.

Stewart Bradley is also an option for third round or late second depending on your take of his play.

It'll be interesting to see how the holes are filled, but resigning JJ makes the most sense at the moment and if we find a great player to draft at 29, well, then you take the best guy you can.

It could be scary to see what Mike Nolan can do if he gets his hands on AD and Clements in FA and Carricker in the first RD. They have the picks and cap space to do all of this and still address the Offense in both FA and the draft. It should be interesting to be a '9ers fan this year.

no kidding. there are rumors about AD having a deal already worked out with the 49ers on profootballtalk.com ....but isn't that tampering? I need to do some reading on that.

There is also the potential of grabbing Okoye, Reggie Nelson, Landry, or even whoever the #1 corner of the draft may be.

Imagine the improvement with two new corners and a guy like AD.

Either way, with all that money...SF can fix the defense and be a big threat to dominate their division.

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post
    no kidding. there are rumors about AD having a deal already worked out with the 49ers on profootballtalk.com ....but isn't that tampering? I need to do some reading on that.

There is also the potential of grabbing Okoye, Reggie Nelson, Landry, or even whoever the #1 corner of the draft may be.

Imagine the improvement with two new corners and a guy like AD.

Either way, with all that money...SF can fix the defense and be a big threat to dominate their division.
    Better we lose AD to the 49ers than the Browns or another AFC team. Losing AD to the 49ers would be a good consolation to not keeping him.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

I agree 100%, i was just curious about the mechanics of tampering charges in the NFL.

Yes techinically another team cannot talk to a player under contract with another team without permission. But, it happenns every year with the 12:01 am signings.