Could Boller be a situational Wide Receiver?

For the sake of maintaining thread integrity, I started this thread so as not to pollute another. I think it would be an interesting experiment if the Ravens were able to afford putting Boller in a couple times a game as a situational receiver.

I do not think in anyway this SHOULD be done, but am simply fantasizing about the possibilities. Teams such as Seattle and Detroit have done it with positive results, and based solely on his speed and size, I think Boller could be as successful as Josh McCown and Seneca Wallace in the same capacity.

To continue on what festivus stated in another thread, I think Boller's hands, route running, and ball security would all have to be good enough for him to even get consideration as a receiver. However I disagree with ClericBlackDave's assessment that he is not fast enough to play the position. I remember a couple of times seeing Boller streaking up from behind Jamal Lewis in an attempt to block for him. In my opinion, if Boller is fast enough to catch up to Jamal Lewis in the open field, he is fast enough to line up at receiver. And I am for certain that Boller is as fast, if not faster than, Josh McCown.

Your opinions are welcome.

Re: Could Boller be a situational Wide Receiver?

I think that might be a neat idea for a trick play, but I think Boller's a QB and has too much value to change position.

There is a strong possibility he may be a starter in Baltimore when McNair if he doesn't attract strong interest on the free agent market.

We did that with Randy Hymes. He's not here any more.

We also see how WELL Antwaan Randle El worked in washington.

Boller has value as McNair's backup. You don't jeopardize that.

Some of us would argue Boller has value as this team's future. Regardless, thats a moot point. For next year, Boller is at least backing up McNair and I wouldn't have it any other way.

WR? Pul-lease.

If we had depth there, I'd love to see it. He has the heart, and the toughness, and wouldn't mind taking the hits. I love seeing ideas like that on the message board.

It would be great, in a fantasy world. It will not happen on this earth, in my humble opinion.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I love Boller's heart, I really do...but can any of you seriously imagine Kyle Boller going over the middle?

It has to be safer than standing behind our line before Billick took over.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by Mobtown View Post
    I love Boller's heart, I really do...but can any of you seriously imagine Kyle Boller going over the middle?
    I can. That's why I said it won't happen on this earth. But I smile every time I think of it. :)
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I'm not suggesting a full blown conversion to WR like Hymes, Bennett, Jones or Randel El. Just about a dozen snaps a season where he lines up as a WR like Wallace and most recently McCown.

Both Wallace and McCown are #2 QBs on their respective team's depth charts. Generally speaking, they are just as valuable as Boller.

Also, we all know he can take a hit.

He'd be a better WR than Moore, but let's get real, he's a QB. It might be fun and might even work for an occasional trick play, but it's not his position.