Thread: 3-4 or 4-3 D?

3-4 or 4-3 D?

Will we be better off going with Pryce/Redding, Nagta, and Gregg up front and J.J., Ellerbe, Lewis, and Suggs doing the majority of the linebacking, with Kruger, Barnes. Gooden, McClain, and McKinney used in situational roles? Or consider the 4-3 by drafting a Derrick Morgan, Carlos Dunlap, Everson Griffen, or Jerry Hughes with our 1st, then taking behemoth DT Terrence Cody,(with No. 2) to have an unpenetrable line with a strong pass rush from both sides?

d

Blog Entries

Re: 3-4 or 4-3 D?

Not so sure you can count on Mt. Cody being there at the end of Round 2. I've seen some mocks where he goes as high as our pick. Plus, it would be pretty shocking to use those two picks (and then theoretically sit on our hands until Round 5!) on DL alone, especially when you consider we still have needs at TE, WR (youth), OL (with Gaither's status up in the air, not to mention Birk's age), CB, S...

Granted, if the best player available both times are DL, we probably go that route, but I can't see that being our draft strategy. Generally, when teams have stocked up on one or two positions early in the draft, one or two of those prospects were busts, because you end up reaching for need.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Cody has to make it pass us, Jets, and the Chargers. I think he won't make it till round 2 or late round 2. His position is to valuable and rare.

Don't think we will take Cody even if available.

Ravens are one of the few if not the best team to play a hybrid 3-4 / 4-3. This requires a mix of talent (e.g.., Haloti Ngata, Terrell Suggs, Jarrett Johnson) who can play multiple positions.

Too big of a competitive advantage to give up for one player.

Ravens would look to draft players who fit into their system in my opinion.

[QUOTE=Merlin;204446]Don't think we will take Cody even if available.

Ravens are one of the few if not the best team to play a hybrid 3-4 / 4-3. This requires a mix of talent (e.g.., Haloti Ngata, Terrell Suggs, Jarrett Johnson) who can play multiple positions.

Too big of a competitive advantage to give up for one player.

Ravens would look to draft players who fit into their system in my opinion.[/QUOTE

Well, then who would you draft?