Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Restructuring...Jamal??

Ravens | Team trying to restructure J. Lewis' contract
    Wed, 21 Feb 2007 21:09:58 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Baltimore Ravens are trying to restructure RB Jamal Lewis' contract. The team will owe him a $5 million roster bonus due March 3.
    Is this to soften the blow of his release or are we seriously trying to keep him?

Will this help our cap situation, or was this preemptively put into the current cap figures?

Could it be to make room for an AD extension??

????
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

Re: Restructuring...Jamal??

I would rather just be done with Jamal. I will always have fond memories of his time with us, but both parties need to go their seperate ways.

Jamal is not effective here anymore, but if he is still on the roster Billick will give him 20+ carries. It is time to find some explosive fresh blood and to find out what Daniels can do.

PS- I want Musa gone as well. He is always injured and wasting a roster spot.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave52 View Post
    I would rather just be done with Jamal. I will always have fond memories of his time with us, but both parties need to go their seperate ways.

Jamal is not effective here anymore, but if he is still on the roster Billick will give him 20+ carries. It is time to find some explosive fresh blood and to find out what Daniels can do.

PS- I want Musa gone as well. He is always injured and wasting a roster spot.
    Agreed. Jamal's best days are behind him. We need to look at RB in the draft and get some fresh blood in here.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

As good as Jamal has been for us we were good to him also. It's time to move onto another running back next year. Jamal has two bad knees and he can't run as much as he could in the past. His body is very old for his age.

I was at the 295 yard game a couple years back (man that was a blast!) so I loves ‘em back in the day. But I have to fully agree with ya’ll. He isn’t as quick to find the hole, and even when he finds it, finally smashes through it he no longer has the speed to take advantage of the open field.
    Part of me thinks some serious re-structuring of his contract is definitely due but I think that is the heart talking not the mind. The mind says let him go and get some fresh blood back there.

We also need to do something with Anderson, we are paying good money for him and if I recall correctly he only had somewhere around 38 touches last season. Seemed like a waste of cap space… I think if we either drafted someone quick and wiley for the outside runs and utilized Anderson for the pounding runs up the middle we would open a while lot more in the running game.

OK, I’m still new here, I’m going to stop typing now… ;)

I think if the Ravens are trying to restructure his contract, its so he can stay. Personally, I like Jamal. If he has the determination, he can be good for 1300+ yards next year, assuming he stays healthy.

Unless we can restructure the deal to save more than 8M, I think we should just cut Jamal. We can use that money to re-sign Pashos and JJ.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

I think this is a loyalty thing more than anything else. I would like to see the Ravens go in a new direction with a running back that can cut back run side to side and show some break away speed. Jamal could be like a Jerome Bettis type, but he clearly is not our long term answer and we need someone Steve McNair can depend on, otherwise, we will be too dependent on our passing game.

Not suprising, really. Jamal started to run better 2nd half of last year, and he had medical problems.

The issue here is how much we pay him. Replacing him at RB might be tough with a late 1st rounder at best. I wouldn't be suprised to see a restructuring and then see us draft a RB NEXT draft.

I agree that "restructuring" doesn't really make sense, but what I do agree with is speaking to acquiring a RB next year.

Tony Lombardi, Aaron Wilson and others have consistently spoken favorably of PJ Daniels who seems lost in the shuffle. Musa Smith can't stay healthy, he's out.

So we're going to trust our fate to Mike Anderson, PJ, and some rookie?
    Mike Anderson showed spark at times last year, but why didn't he play more when Jamal Lewis was so obviously struggling? Without access to the clubhouse (even then you might not get an answer) all you can do is speculate.

Drafting an early RB makes sense next year when the class appears to be loaded with talent at the position. McFadden, Ray Rice, Steve Slaton, Pat White, Ian Johnson, Jamaal Charles, Jorvorskie Lane, Jonathan Stewart....that's an impressive crop. Slight problem: These RBs know that too and some are bound to take out the $5 million insurance policy and roll the dice on going earlier the next year.

Jamal could come back and be serviceable, but not for an $11.67 million cap figure. Heck, even a $5 million cap figure. Especially not at the cost of losing Jarrett Johnson (at the very least an experienced competent backup), Pashos (average tackle that works super hard, at worst he's depth if not attracting mega attention as a free agent), or Ovie Mughelli assuming he wasn't a contract year wonder.

This also gives the Ravens a year to evaluate PJ Daniels as well. If Daniels looks great, Anderson and Lewis might be gone after the year if a top flight back becomes available to the Ravens.

I think its worth bringing him back but at a REDUCED rate of course. From what I've heard.. I think there talking about a one year deal with a possible option around 3-4 mil. I agree with most everybody else that Jamal's better days seem to have passed. I do however think he is still "servicable" and will help in another championship quest. As far as the draft , it still shoudn't deter the Ravens front office to use either a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB. The name of Michael Bush and M. Pittman comes to mind just as a thought. Where the other backs fit in .. is still to be determined. Musa Smith has always seemed to be on the brink.. and then he gets injured. Anderson is decent but nothing specatcular.. Daniels.. haven't seen him as of yet so who knows. We''ll find out soon enough free agency and the draft are right around the corner.

Why are the Ravens being "loyal" to a player that publicly quit on them last year, and who also had the greatest three-year falloff of any RB in NFL history? Oh, that's right, the same reason they are loyal to Ray Lewis who backstabbed his team and head coach, and CMAC, who is simply an idiot. And they cut loose AD? Nice cap planning there. Next thing is we will be keeping a done Flynn and Mulatalo to keep Ogden happy. Sheesh.