Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Would you tag AD?

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    You stated it as I had been thinking - but I didn't want to wake up the McNair supporters. Yes - what is evolving now is exactly what I had been concerned about last year when the FO coughed up the $33 million commitment to McNair.
    • Had we brought in a competent -- but affordable -- vet instead, there could have been enough money under
    the cap to afford re-signing or tagging Adalius Thomas.

There's not a lot that we can do about it now without reopening a few other vet contracts. Hopefully, Thomas will give Oz a day or so to match his best offer.
    Who is your competent, but affordable qb? Was there one? Collins? Volek? I don't think so. It's easy to make a statement like that, but you can't pull one out of your ass that suits your needs, The available qbs are, well the available qbs!

At thsi point someone is going to answert that question with Garcia or Huard, it's jsut not fair speculation at this point. BTW i feel that Mac easily outplayed both of these guys, just 5x's the dough.

I go back and forth on this. Bottom line for me is not mortgaging the future on this 1 person.

Ozzie and DeCosta have to make the tough decision.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    At thsi point someone is going to answert that question with Garcia or Huard, it's jsut not fair speculation at this point. BTW i feel that Mac easily outplayed both of these guys, just 5x's the dough.

I think the question is whether or not you man a competent cheap vet to start, or a competent, cheap vet to backup Boller. Which then begs the main question: do you think McNair was the reason for 13-3 and do you think Boller could have at least gotten us to 10-6.

I think Boller with vet backup gets comparable results, for less money. A great year by our D-line, a healthy year for our team are the reasons for 13-3. The Cleveland / San Diego comebacks were far more Matt Stover and the defense than they were McNair. I'd put 2 of our 3 losses on McNair.

I go back and forth on this. Bottom line for me is not mortgaging the future on this 1 person.

Overall, I feel sad that we mortgaged the future for McNair but won't / can't now for ADT, someone who has meant more to this franchise than McNair has so far IMHO.

My guess is the franchise lets AD go into free agency. They low-balled him the last time around and know they deserve this; the could have just as easily put him down for a 5 year deal with a slight larger signing bonus.

Lets hope McNair puts a playoff win on his baltimore resume considering we paid him 33 Million in theory

So today is the day. Since I see things half-full I think by the fact the Ravens have been waiting till the last day to make a decisions means they are working on a long-term deal to keep AD that makes sense from him and the organization.

Or...I could be completely wrong and AD will become a FA. I don't think the Ravens will tag him since they only have done it 2 times in 11 years.

AD is too much of a quality guy and teammate for the Ravens to tag him. They only do that when character issues are involved. I would be severely disappointed if the Ravens did tag him, I thought they had more class than that! We've had him for bargain basement prices his whole career and he deserves a big payday. If we can't match it he's gone - no hard feelings on either side, its the business. I do think if we can come up with some sort of offer at least in the same ballpark as what he's offered, I think he would take a slightly lower offer from us to stay!
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

One of the most valuable players on the team, but he has to be let go. Cash.

My dream scenario is finally dumping both Lewises, then signing AD to a nice two year contract with the surplus.

McNair is a class act, but expen$ive and old, and I think Boller could be better at this point.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

With all of the AD threads, I guess this doesn't require its own topic. I waa talking last night with my brother, a NE fan, and maybe AD could Fill Teddy Washington's shoes. He fits their profile of the middle aged vets, btu they liek th ebargain to middle priced type, not the top FA type of player. I think that we could be competitive with their offers, but who else are his real suitors. I've heard, SF, SD, NYG, NYJ, any others?

If AD goes it will mostly likely be to SF and reunite with Nolan. I would say NE #2.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I think that we could be competitive with their offers, but who else are his real suitors. I've heard, SF, SD, NYG, NYJ, any others?
    Green Bay has been reported as having AD at the top of their list of offseason acquistions. If true, I guess that means they think we won't franchise him.

By the way, this has probably been addressed in some thread somewhere already and I didn't see it, but can the Ravens even afford to franchise AD? I'm not so sure they can.

They don't have to be able to until FA begins, btu simply cutting Jamal fits us under the cap. Unfortunately, until his cap number is moved or reduced there is no room to do ANYTHING else.

I suppose we can add Cleveland to the list as well.
    Hmm LB didn't seem to be that big of a need for GB, they have some great young 'backers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Thomas is our team's "impact player". Of the 22 starting players, Thomas had more to do with the Ravens 13-3 playoff team than any other.

What do you base this opinion on? The guy had a good year, no doubt, but lets be serious. He had no better a year than Ray, and Bart Scott had an equally (if not more) impressive year than AD.

AD is enjoying a lot of hype and it is well deserved, but lets all take a deep breath and look seriously at the "impact" he made on this team.

To be honest, I think he made a bigger impact as a ST player than as a LB on a team of great LBs.

For me, the biggest impact player (on the D anyway) this year has to have been Bart Scott or Chris McAllister.

On McNair:
    regardless of your position on McNair's quality, reality is that his cap hit ($5.45 million for 2007 and $6.45 million for 2008) alone this year would not have been enought to keep AD here. Nice job working in that errouneous 33m number again though. You two should at least try to have some idea what you are talking about. I'll help, McNair's deal is effectively 3 yrs @ $20m.
    Last edited by Mobtown; 02-22-2007 at 08:59 PM.