Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

And people wonder why we call them the "Clowns"

So, the one QB they have had since they were re-born that was at least slightly successful, Derek Anderson, they outright cut. They QB they draft to be the future of the franchise, the trade for a RB and a pick. They QB they sign via free agency is 35, had the lowest passer rating in the league last year, and threw 8 TDs vs 18 INT. Quick, someone call Stoney Case, he might be able to get a deal with the Clowns.

Here is the link to SI for the move with Quinn:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp
    Future MVP of Superbowl LXIX

Re: And people wonder why we call them the "Clowns"

You can't possibly hammer the Browns for cutting a former Pro Bowler in DA but then turn around and hammer them for signing Jake Delhomme who had one bad year last year.

Their moves, to me, made fine sense. DA has been godawful other than five games, which I posted in another thread. That includes his Pro Bowl season. Delhomme has been solid except for last year when he inexplicably fell apart. Odds are good he "regresses to the mean" and has a much better year this year.

They're also clearly setting up to draft a QB of the future. Seems pretty clear they're bringing in Delhomme to be a short-term starter for a year or two, while they groom their QB of the future. Clausen? Bradford probably won't reach them, but I doubt they pass on him if he does. Colt McCoy? Odds look pretty good to me they won't get out of the second round without a QB.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

With Holmgren doing this I am sure that a QB is on the horizon for them. Maybe Kevin Kolb or a rookie in the first round. Where do they pick in the first?

Blog Entries

They pick 7th

Hasn't Holmgren's M.O. been to have a rookie QB sit the first year and learn?
    So he has Jake as a so-so adequate starter, Wallace as wildcat and back up, so looks like they are eyeing a QB in the draft.
    At 7 though, I'm guessing that Bradford could be 1 for Rams and wouldn't surprise me to see Wash at 4 have Shannahan looking for his Elway (but LT is a crying need there). Seattle at 6 could also be in the market for a QB.

Looks like a circus to figure out (figures they are clowns).
    Do they mortgage and move up? are they figuring McCoy will be there in the 2nd? I'm guessing one of their first 2 picks is a QB.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

With the acquistion of picks could they be trying to leapfrog the Seahawks to get Clausen. Me thinks we will have a flurry of trades in the 1st if there is a run of any sort or players start to drop. Maybe this works in the Ravens favor if teams start to reach.

I think it is pretty good chain events for the Browns in getting rid of Anderson and Quinn and picking up Delhomme. At least they have a QB now that has demonstrated that he belongs in the NFL while they work on a franchise guy.

Sure beats the scenario that was going around here the other day with Troy going to Cleveland to create one of the all-time bust 3 QB brigades of Quinn, T. Smith and Anderson....at that point I would have been pulling out the "clowns" card.

They just dumped another of their 1st round picks (LB K. Wimbley) to the Raidahs.

Take a look at the first round picks by that club since 1999 and what they got out of those picks. It's unbelievable how bad they have been. Next, thank your lucky stars for one Ozzie Newsome.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

I heard something sick on the radio today...Delhomme was owed about 12 mil this year from the Panthers. And now he's getting 7 mil this year from the Browns...

Jake Delhomme, regardless of how little he plays this season, is getting paid 19 million dollars.

:grbac:

If I'm Drew Brees or Peyton Manning, this KILLS me
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    They just dumped another of their 1st round picks (LB K. Wimbley) to the Raidahs.
    Wasn't Wimbley the guy that we swapped one pick up with them to take Ngata and they took him?

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Wasn't Wimbley the guy that we swapped one pick up with them to take Ngata and they took him?

- C -
    Yep.

Honestly, I don't see this as a bad move. It is showing the people of Cleveland that the Browns may actually be moving in the right direction.

If you ask me, Denver is the loser in this deal. They must not have realized 1) There is a reason Quinn was 22nd and not 1st. 2) They apparently suck with the whole "watching game film" thing.

I don't think the Browns are crazy for cutting DA -- like PSUasskicker said earlier, he really hadn't done much outside of his one good year. I was mildly suprised they traded Quinn, because I thought they would at least give him a chance, but I guess Holmgren had already made up his mind. He may end up regretting that decision.

Delhome is worth a shot, I guess, but the deal they signed him to was way more than he should have received. Who were they competing against for his services? Picking him up wasn't a bad move, IMO, but they seriously overpaid for him. They're probably going to start him now over Wallace just because of his salary, which is a situation they could have avoided by signing him at a more reasonable price.

They're clearly going in a new direction, but so far, it looks like change for the sake of change.

Troy Smith is so bad the Broncos picked Brady Quinn over him. They could have had Smith for a 5th round pick and I don't think his salary would have toped 2mil. I guess that Heisman isn't as important as many around here think it is. IDK but I watched Troy play and I never saw why anyone thought he was a NFL qb...