Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs down Protesting Vick at Ed Block Courage Awards

The guy is a sleeze bag and I wish that Ed Block's name weren't becoming besmirched by this controversy:

More than 100 protesters, carrying signs with slogans like "No awards for dog killers" and "Cowards abuse animals," assembled outside a Baltimore County banquet hall this afternoon, outraged that Michael Vick was there to receive an award for his courage and sportsmanship.
    But when is enough, enough? These stupid protests aren't going to bring back the lives of the abused dogs, and they aren't going to impact Vick's career, since he's already been reinstated. All that they are accomplishing is increasing the overhead costs of the Ed Block Courage Awards, diluting an already diluted pot aimed at charity.

Time for these do-gooders to move on!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

2. Re: Protesting Vick at Ed Block Courage Awards

Get a life, people. There are much bigger issues in this country (and world) that they could devote their time to bitching and moaning about.

The sad thing is that some resolution might come from supporting other causes, but this demonstration will do nothing at all.

Re: Protesting Vick at Ed Block Courage Awards

They've shut down half of Woodlawn because of this nonsense.

It's the foundation' s fault, not the protesters. I called this the day it was announced who won. They knew this was going to happen and still let the bum get the award. Not forcing Philly to change their nomination is the problem here.

Ed Block's name was tarnished a few years ago when it was reported they are unable to get below the 85% overhead costs that tax-free organizations must. For every dollar donated to this "charity" a dime or less goes to those in need.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    It's the foundation' s fault, not the protesters. I called this the day it was announced who won. They knew this was going to happen and still let the bum get the award. Not forcing Philly to change their nomination is the problem here.
    The charity needed to grow a pair when Vick's name first crossed their desk and should have sent it back.
    I actually supported Vick's return because he seemed to be doing everything right, up until this award BS. At the initial controversy he came out and said "I deserve this. No one knows what I have been through." He should have showed some class and quietly declined, and we should never even know he was a factor.
    Actual user comment from a yahoo sports article:

On this given sunday you will witnesses why we'll called steeler nation!!!

1st amendment rights there kids, besides a higher than 85 % administration cost is beyond ridiculous for a charity

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post

But when is enough, enough? These stupid protests aren't going to bring back the lives of the abused dogs, and they aren't going to impact Vick's career, since he's already been reinstated. Time for these do-gooders to move on!
    No way. Is it really that bad that those protecting animal rights use this tragedy as a spring board to spread awareness? No, it will not bring those dogs back, but it may inspire others to push for harsher penalties or better yet simply get involved.

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    Get a life, people. There are much bigger issues in this country (and world) that they could devote their time to bitching and moaning about.

The sad thing is that some resolution might come from supporting other causes, but this demonstration will do nothing at all.
    Who's to say what people should and should not be concerned with? You? Public opinion? I think you're being rather insensitive to this situation. Maybe someone got involved because their dog was stolen and mauled in a "training" session, or maybe they just give a shit about animal rights. Who really cares why they are doing it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CRZA938 View Post
    Who's to say what people should and should not be concerned with? You? Public opinion? I think you're being rather insensitive to this situation. Maybe someone got involved because their dog was stolen and mauled in a "training" session, or maybe they just give a shit about animal rights. Who really cares why they are doing it.

10. Re: Protesting Vick at Ed Block Courage Awards

Because it's a complete waste of time and inconsequential use of resources. And it's apparently become a nuisance to those in the area, let alone those attending the dinner.

Thumbs down Re: Protesting Vick at Ed Block Courage Awards

Quote Originally Posted by duffybr View Post
    1st amendment rights there kids, besides a higher than 85 % administration cost is beyond ridiculous for a charity
    First Amendment is carried to extremes. The Ed Block awards are not held on the US Capital grounds -- if I recall my Constitutional law classes from many years ago, 1st amendment in this case is a bogus argument. If these protesters were on private roperty, they should have been arrested.

How about the crazies protesting homosexuals in the military to disturb the funeral of a Westminster soldier killed in battle? Is that an OK abuse of the 1st Amendment as well?

Whether or not the 85% is real -- I have been told that it was just media sensationalism -- if extra money had to be spend on security to keep the do-gooders and other crazies away from the events' participants, then even less than 15% would trickle to the charities.

No way. Is it really that bad that those protecting animal rights use this tragedy as a spring board to spread awareness? No, it will not bring those dogs back, but it may inspire others to push for harsher penalties or better yet simply get involved.
    Aw, screw those assholes! Let them write letters to the editor, tweet their twitters, blog their blogs, or whatever makes them happy to keep up this stupid crusade against a hoodlum who has been reinstated into the NFL. Just get them the hell out of the way from the people who paid thousands to attend and enjoy this event, and stop harassing innocent drivers in Baltimore County.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

12. Re: Protesting Vick at Ed Block Courage Awards

What Vick did was wrong....He paid his debt, did his time! People need to get more involved with people being killed and tortured...Animals are innocent, but they are animals..I love pets, but we eat animals, right? Let it go people, let it go!! I know this doesn't seem like a popular thought, but I am sick and tired of PETA and their shananagans...Been eating animals since Biblical times:p Heck, they eat cats and dogs in other countries! Why don't they go and protest those countries and leave Vick alone..He is trying to be a better person, but PETA wants his blood....Sad Where is forgiveness?