Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2010 Ravens Draft With and W/O Mason

Id make the following trades(the points matchup according to the trade value chart)

Ravens trade their first rd pick to Tampa Bay for their 2nd, 4th, and 5th rd pick

Ravens trade their 5th round pick, the 5th acquired in the Boldin trade and their 6th to Carolina for their 4th and a future 7th

With Mason on the Roster

2nd-DE Tyson Alualu- Relentless and active 3-4 DE, will start as a backup rotation guy and eventually start

2nd-TE Rob Gronkowski- Imo he is very close to Gresham, he's faster, big fluid guy, more willing and better blocker. Gresham is a possibilty but i think he is gone before this pick.

4th-CB Donovan Warren- Projected as a 1st round corner early in the process but a bad 40 and some inconsistency drops him here, he's still a good player, physical, good fit for the nickel has upside to start in time

5th-WR Blair White-Think a little bigger and a little faster Jordan Shipley

W/O Mason

2nd-DE Tyson Alualu-see above

2nd-WR Demaryius Thomas-Our future #1, as much upside as any player in this draft, Lafell is a legit option if Thomas isnt there, i think Lafell just plays better then he test

4th-CB Donovan Warren-see above

5th-TE Colin Peek-Bmore Hokie put me on to this guy so i found whatever highlights and info i could on him. He's a sneaky athlete, tough, good hands, and he will be on the field from day 1 because he is a great blocker. He shut down Sergio Kindle in the national title game.

Thoughts?

2. Re: 2010 Ravens Draft With and W/O Mason

Thomas won't be around for long in the 2nd.

Warren won't be there in the 4th.

I love Alualu and Peek, but don't see the value in adding late picks when there isn't much room on the roster for many players. I think we are better off consolidating picks and gathering quality instead of quantity.

I'm not so sure that Mason's situation affects the Draft that much. Without him, we are still in a better situation than we were last year (that ended in a playoff trip and victory). They were never going to reach for a WR in the first place.

I would like either of these outcomes of the first round:

1st - D. Thomas
    2nd - T. Alualu

OR

1st - C. Dunlap / J. Odrick
    2nd - M. Gilyard / C. Mitchell

OR

1st - K. Wilson / K. Jackson
    2nd - T. Alualu / C. Mitchell

Re: 2010 Ravens Draft With and W/O Mason

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    Thomas won't be around for long in the 2nd.

Warren won't be there in the 4th.
    QFT

I love Alualu and Peek, but don't see the value in adding late picks when there isn't much room on the roster for many players. I think we are better off consolidating picks and gathering quality instead of quantity.
    I think the opposite. There's so much talent in this draft, I'd FAR rather take quantity. Gimme as many picks as we can get this draft, cause I don't know that there's been a better class in the last 15 years, or if we'll see another one this good for the next 15...

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Why are other teams wanting to make these trades? Why, for example, does Tampa Bay want to move up from the 2nd to the 1st?

Second, Ozzie picks best player available, not need. Same picks with or without Mason given the same slot. Now Ozzie might want to move up or down based on the board and need, but when we go on the clock it is best player, not need.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Why are other teams wanting to make these trades? Why, for example, does Tampa Bay want to move up from the 2nd to the 1st?

Second, Ozzie picks best player available, not need. Same picks with or without Mason given the same slot. Now Ozzie might want to move up or down based on the board and need, but when we go on the clock it is best player, not need.
    Thought it out and did a 2nd rd mock for the entire before i just plugged teams in. Tampa desperately needs help at DE and the could take a run at JPP with our 1st round pick.

Carolina is a little short on picks and need to restock talent a little (WR,DE,LB,) so that deal makes since from that standpoint. I get your point though

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

But you are twisting it a little bit. Positional need is a part of a players GRADE and location on the board. IF we have Mason in the fold, all WR''s will be equally downgraded on the Raven's board. When on the clock it makes little difference, but when setting up the board it certainly does.

If Oz has Kyle Wilson ahead of Demaryus Thomas, he will take the corner whether Mason is aboard or not. But he may slide Thomas ahead before the draft if he feels we really need a playmaker on the outside. He stays true to HIS board.

Combinations seemed okay. Dunlap/Gilyard would be a disaster. Why couple an underachieving misfit with a Percy Harvin type who is scared to go across the middle? No Thanks. Donte Stallworth is our deep threat.

Assuming we keep our picks, I would like to see a corner taken in either the first or second round. Kyle Wilson is a good value in the first round, while Brandon Ghee and Kareem Jackson seem viable in the second round.

Demaryius Thomas is an interesting prospect, but will most likely be taken to early in the draft - He is not a first round wide receiver. He has limited tape, and has been unavailable to research futher during the combine process. He is a physical monster, but lacks great hands and is a miserable route runner. These things can be taught at the next level, but he is a project, no doubt.

Wide receiver should be addressed in the first two rounds, but we are not bound by it. Unless Dez Bryant falls, we should wait until round two. Thomas may still be available along with Damian Williams.

In Ozzie we trust.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    QFT

I think the opposite. There's so much talent in this draft, I'd FAR rather take quantity. Gimme as many picks as we can get this draft, cause I don't know that there's been a better class in the last 15 years, or if we'll see another one this good for the next 15...

- C -
    You make a interesting point, this is a extremely deep draft, we could really stock up and some spots and get younger. The problem would be the later rd guys making them team but i guess that may push some vet. backups along

9. Re: 2010 Ravens Draft With and W/O Mason

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post

If you are talking about gathering as many 2nd or 3rd rounders as possible, I'm all for that. Picking up a 5th rounder in exchange for moving out of the first round? I don't see it.

I am looking at last year's class having no one after the third round stick on the roster. I see just as few spots up for grabs this year.

If I was running the Lions or taking over a new team (thus looking to infuse the roster with "my type" of players), I would be all over that type of deal. I don't see it being in the best interest of the Ravens, however.

I am looking at last year's class having no one after the third round stick on the roster. I see just as few spots up for grabs this year.
    Interesting thought that doesn't get alot of attention. In the scheme of things there is really not a lot of spots up for grabs on this team. Needs yes, but spots debatable. If we resign Mason, currently there isn't a lot of room for a mid round receiver. We already have those types of guys so I think we are looking for that 3rd receiver in the 1st or second (#1 heir apparent). Pass rusher yes, heir apparent to Heap YES. All others even corner may not be as big a need as first thought (Webb's already jogging and doing drills). I need to see how leading up to the draft plays out first, but there isn't alot of turnover on this team for open areas at the moment. Not to mention the first and second year guys already on the team that are getting ready to battle these incoming rookies. Tough sledding on both sides.

What makes you think that Tampa wants to trade for our number 1

If you are talking about gathering as many 2nd or 3rd rounders as possible, I'm all for that. Picking up a 5th rounder in exchange for moving out of the first round? I don't see it.

If I was running the Lions or taking over a new team (thus looking to infuse the roster with "my type" of players), I would be all over that type of deal. I don't see it being in the best interest of the Ravens, however.
    Essentially we are moving from 25 to 35 and getting a 4th and a 5th for it. This assuming the guys we target dont fall to 25. The second trade allows us to move back up, thus getting quality over quantity. 4 or 5 solid picks for this team are better then 6 or 7 picks because later ones may not make it so i agree from that standpoint. I threw this scenerio out as a option but as long as we leave the draft with a solid DE, TE, CB, and WR im fine with it, however its done.