Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Whats next on the Ravens "to do" list ?

Now that we ( Ravens ) have our true #1 receiver in Boldin.. what should be the next order of business.???

1. Re-Sign Mason ( or not ..some may say)

2. Add a Free Agent DE,DT,CB etc ( Right player , Right price of course )

3. Work a trade of a player for picks

4. Wait for the NFL draft to solidify all other team roster moves.

If nothing else our off season has already been a hit.

Re: Whats next on the Ravens "to do" list ?

Re-sign as many of Ngata, Flacco, Gaither, Rice as possible...

With the draft a month-and-a-half away I'd like to see Ozzie get some more picks. They are in no hurry to sign Mason. Let him test the market. If he comes back great, if not, we will be fine now that we have Boldin. We still need to draft a WR anyway and we have needs at DE, TE, and Corner which can be addressed in the draft, but we need more picks.

Hopefully a team will be interested in Gaither. If we can get a 1st round pick for a player that we picked up in the supplemental draft that would be great. Then we can trade one of our first round picks for a few in the later rounds. We will not be able to keep Gaither and Oher long-term, so we might as well deal Gaither now while his trade value is high.
    Boh

-Re-sign Edwards or if the price is too high adequately replace him

-Draft an Athletic 3-4 DE

-Add another corner whether it be the draft or free agency

-An heir apparent to Heap in the draft

-figure out the backup QB situation

-a future #1 WR

Blog Entries

If we re-sign Ngata it will be after the draft.
    Flacco and Rice wont receive pay day just yet and I think they might be shopping Gaither, might be a draft day decision.

I think they should resign Mason and Chamber's re-signing with KC should help with the market value, Mason is older than Chambers so he shouldn't be looking for much more than Chamber's 3/12M, Mason should be around 2/7M.

Any new word on M. Jackson, with the injury record i don't see them getting into a bidding war with Philly, but if the price is right bring him in.

I would like to see a trade worked out to get more draft picks. We don't really have many players to shop, Gaither was put out there, and you would think Willis but there is just to many FA's out there at the RB position. The rest of our RFA's wouldn't sniff the field on some teams so they draw no interest.

The next question in my mind is who is getting the Ax after the draft?

I can't image that Pryce will be back with his current contract, they will probably try to re-do his contract and give him a pay cut or just flat out cut him. We also have a good amount of LB's especially if we pick another in the draft or UFA like my man Ellerbe.

Quote Originally Posted by BaltimoreBoh View Post
    With the draft a month-and-a-half away I'd like to see Ozzie get some more picks. They are in no hurry to sign Mason. Let him test the market. If he comes back great, if not, we will be fine now that we have Boldin. We still need to draft a WR anyway and we have needs at DE, TE, and Corner which can be addressed in the draft, but we need more picks.

Hopefully a team will be interested in Gaither. If we can get a 1st round pick for a player that we picked up in the supplemental draft that would be great. Then we can trade one of our first round picks for a few in the later rounds. We will not be able to keep Gaither and Oher long-term, so we might as well deal Gaither now while his trade value is high.
    If they let Gaither go tackle becomes a bigger need than Wr was.

I would like some sort of argument or evidence that the Ravens will have some sort of money problems if they pay Gaither Jordan Gross money. Oher is under contract for 4 more years. His deal was 5 years 13 mil. They may get half that back in #74 jersey sales. Just because he can play LT does not mean he has to or is going to get a new contract before his rookie deal is up.
    Gaither can be restricted again next year with a franchise tag if need be. Nagta is coming up soon, but Flacco, Rice, Suggs, Boldin, Foxworth, Webb, Oher all the young starters at high dollar positions are under contract long term at reasonable rates.

There are a lot of big money vets that will not be on the payroll when new big money deals come due. Unless they start losing money, or making a bunch of mistakes on free agents, how are they going to have too much finacial trouble to keep a starting 23 year old LT? Who is going to offer him more than they can afford to pay and give up a 1st round pick? It makes no sense. No other top RFAs have been signed to offer sheets yet, and without a poison pill or ridiculous offer they almost never change teams. The Ravens seem to keep most RFA for at least that year they are tendered even if they become high dollar UFAs the next year. Jason Brown, Bart Scott and AD pretty much all played at least one RFA season before hitting the UFA market that still gave the Ravens comp picks.

To me no matter where you rank Gaither among the 32 starting LTs in the NFL, at 23 he is more valuable than a 1st round pick because so many fail as starting LTs. Good or bad Gaither has not been close to a failure as the LT. If you look at any highlight tape of the Ravens O you see Gaither getting the job done and I never hear a lot of talk of examples of the games he was terrible and gave up multiple sacks or pressures.
    This is just one of many national sources that indicate Gaither's value vs the rest of the NFL.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/arti...es&arc=&id=122
    "
    Top ten left tackles
    Name Team PBP
    Jake Long Miami Dolphins 2.37
    Joe Thomas Cleveland Browns 2.44
    Jared Gaither Baltimore Ravens 2.62
    Andrew Whitworth Cincinnati Bengals 3.06
    Sebastian Vollmer New England Patriots 3.26
    D'Brickashaw Ferguson New York Jets 3.47
    Joe Staley San Francisco 49ers 3.48
    Jason Peters Philadelphia Eagles 3.60
    Barry Sims San Francisco 49ers 4.06
    Bryant McKinnie Minnesota Vikings 4.41

Bottom ten left tackles
    Name Team PBP
    Demetrius Bell Buffalo Bills 9.58
    Levi Jones Washington Redskins 9.55
    Mario Henderson Oakland Raiders 9.08
    Mike Gandy Arizona Cardinals 7.64
    Orlando Pace Chicago Bears 7.63
    Eugene Monroe Jacksonville Jaguars 6.82
    Jordan Gross Carolina Panthers 6.71
    Duane Brown Houston Texans 6.66
    Flozell Adams Dallas Cowboys 6.61
    Jonathan Scott Buffalo Bills 6.41

"

There is a lot of talk about him right now because there should be a lot of interest.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true
    "
    Scenario No. 1
    There are two teams with multiple first-round picks, the Seattle Seahawks and San Francisco 49ers. Both teams are looking for an offensive tackle in the draft as well as a safety. Do they look at the Baltimore Ravens' Jared Gaither, stack him up against this year's offensive line draft class and say, "Here's a 23-year-old kid with 28 NFL starts at 6-foot-9, 340 pounds who is proven and better than everyone in the draft except for Russell Okung, or maybe he is even better than him?"
    "

:T2:

I agree, if Gaither goes, then OT becomes a bigger need then WR was last week.

LT is the 2nd most important positon on the field in my mind. Thus, that makes it's backup a very important thing. His Backup is also our RT, another importnat position, who's backup is much easier to fill.

If there is not money to sign them both, it's becuase you are wasting it in less improtnat areas. that's the bottom line as far as I'm concerned.

I doubt we get rid of Gaither without getting a pick high enough to use on an OT they'd be okay with stepping in as a starter, either at RT or LT. Barring injury, I don't see any chance we're going into next season with Oher at LT and someone currently on our roster like Cousins as our starting RT.

However, that's different from saying they'd be okay paying Gaither long term money to sign him. Regardless of Gaither's abilities and whether he's truly a top 5 or just a top 15 LT in this league, the Ravens FO chose not to tender him at the highest amount, and doesn't seem to be too aggressively pursuing re-signing him long term. That may change quickly of course. But on the surface it would seem there may be some question about what they feel is his value. They could be waiting to see if the nagging injuries he seems to have a lot, or work ethic questions, or something else we haven't heard about, may be hindering him; or if he works through them, then start aggressively pursuing him re-signing.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

I'd like for them to keep Gaither, but it appears that they are shoping him. It may just be to see what his Market value is to show him some contract numbers to lock him up long term to a decent but not inflated contract.
    If we do trade him I would hope it is for a high 1st rd pick atleast in the top 15 and yes we will need to address T if that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoNo View Post
    If we do trade [Gaither] I would hope it is for a high 1st rd pick atleast in the top 15 and yes we will need to address T if that happens.
    Seriously... If that was his value, we'd be hearing about more than just Bleacher Report rumors that are getting shot down by credible reporting sources that there are teams interested in signing him to an offer sheet or trading for his rights.

Teams can have him for a 1st round pick right now if they want him that badly. Even if internally we said "We're going to match anything they offer," another team would be knocking on his door to get the offer sheet down if they thought he was worth it. But then again, if the Ravens planned to match any offer no matter what, they'd just have tendered him at the 1st and 3rd rate.

Right now, the silence is deafening.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    But then again, if the Ravens planned to match any offer no matter what, they'd just have tendered him at the 1st and 3rd rate.
    No they wouldn't have because with the highest tender they would be bidding only against themselves.

Just out of curiousity, who was the last RFA the ravens tendered at a 1st and a 3rd? I can't remember anyone off the top of my head.

12. Re: Whats next on the Ravens "to do" list ?

From Adam Schefter's Twitter:

Even after signing Donte Stallworth and trading for Anquan Boldin, the Ravens still are attempting to re-sign free-agent WR Derrick Mason.
    GOOD.