Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Whats next on the Ravens "to do" list ?

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Dude! YOU have been the one touting receiver as the second or third least valuable position on the field!

You can say no other way around it, but if I look at you saying this first round sucks, and I look at pretty much every major media member and NFL FO that I have heard talk about it as the best in years, I'm pretty sure I know who's word I'll take. Bradford is way better a prospect than Stafford. And just because there aren't a ton of awesome QBs doesn't make it a bad first round.

Ozzie has spent 5 of his 28 first and second round picks on offensive linemen. Interior OL is a position teams don't typically spend high picks on. Two of his 16 first round picks have been on tackles, one on a guard. In total, 18 of his 111 draft picks have been on offensive linemen. Typically a team carries 8, maybe 9 OL on the 53 man rosters, 15%. Ozzie's spent 16% on OL. I'd say your evidence that Ozzie doesn't value OL is less than compelling.

Those numbers, BTW, don't even count Gaither, who you consider to be a top flight tackle.

You are once again putting words in my mouth. I have never, NEVER said I want us to trade him for a second round or less pick. I simply said that seems to be his market value, and that it should tell you something about his value to the team.

You are still hung up on how much better you think Gaither is than a guy like Jason Peters. I simply don't know how to get through to you on this. I don't care what you or I think about just looking at them play. Try for one minute to step outside what you've been watching or hearing or whatever. Let's just say you are a Lions fan with no concept of how good Gaither is or isn't. You think your team might be willing to give up the first pick in the 2nd round for him, and are trying to figure out whether or not you should be thrilled with that move, or pissed at it.

Last year, the Eagles went out and got Jason Peters - a guy who's maybe top 5 and certainly regarded as a top 10 LT in the league. They traded the #28 overall, a 4th and a 6th rounder to Buffalo (according to the draft value chart, this is worth around the #23 overall) and subsequently signed Peters to a 4 year extension with $53MM in new money.

This year, Gaither gets tagged for a 1st rounder. Anyone with a need at LT can sign him to an offer sheet and get him for their first round pick, or probably spin a trade with Balt for his rights (assuming Balt doesn't want to match the offer). There is nothing in terms of interest for days. No movement. No rumors. Nothing. One year after the sixth or seventh best OT moved for way more than what the Ravens seem to be "asking" for him.

How much value do you REALLY see in giving up the #33 overall to get the guy?

What does it tell you about Gaither's value in comparison with Peters, specifically how the other 31 GMs that professionally evaluate NFL talent think about Gaither's value in comparison with Peters?

And if Peters is as bad as you seem to think he is, how good REALLY should you be thinking Gaither is, given that Gaither isn't getting anything close to the interest Peters did for a far lower asking price?

- C -
    It says exactly what ONE GM was thinking LAST YEAR, and is different then this year.
    It can also be telling that Roy Williams garnered a king's ransom such a short time ago, and Brandon Marshall has gotten one bite on his first round tender.
    I think it says more about the climate of the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    It says exactly what ONE GM was thinking LAST YEAR, and is different then this year.
    It can also be telling that Roy Williams garnered a king's ransom such a short time ago, and Brandon Marshall has gotten one bite on his first round tender.
    Jonboy

I probably fall in between you and PSU with regards to Gaither.

But you must admit that if Gaither is really as high regarded and as good as you say he is, he'd have seen an offer sheet by now.

We all agree how important LT is to a team's success. Yet Gaither is out there for ANY team to have for a 1st round pick.

There is also no cap and yet he still hasn't received an offer.

Gaither's work ethic is clearly an issue. There's no doubt the guy has all the tools to be great. He's also extremely young.

Yet not one offer.

What is your explanation for that?

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Jonboy

I probably fall in between you and PSU with regards to Gaither.

But you must admit that if Gaither is really as high regarded and as good as you say he is, he'd have seen an offer sheet by now.

We all agree how important LT is to a team's success. Yet Gaither is out there for ANY team to have for a 1st round pick.

There is also no cap and yet he still hasn't received an offer.

Gaither's work ethic is clearly an issue. There's no doubt the guy has all the tools to be great. He's also extremely young.

Yet not one offer.

What is your explanation for that?

PP
    What RFA has signed an offer sheet?

I am not sure what the time table is, but I think nothing can be read into that until an offer is on the table.

Most of the time, teams just keep the pick and wait a year until they are a UFA like in the case of Jason Brown.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    What RFA has signed an offer sheet?

I am not sure what the time table is, but I think nothing can be read into that until an offer is on the table.

Most of the time, teams just keep the pick and wait a year until they are a UFA like in the case of Jason Brown.
    First. Thanks JW, once a single RFA is reported to have been offerred an "offer sheet" we can talk.
    Second, Do we even know? DO we hear after the week has been sorted out to find out if the Ravens will match?
    Maybe it is "known" we would match a reasonable offer and people don't want to get used as negotiation pawns, when they may wait it out and get a shot next year.
    I will admit that most GM's are not likely to share as high of an opinion as I, and many probably value both RT and LT less then I do.
    It is certainly surprising that little more then rumors has been reported on his behalf... I'd be very surprised if that is how the situation is resolved. If it is, then I highly doubt we see a single RFA change teams.

First. Thanks JW, once a single RFA is reported to have been offerred an "offer sheet" we can talk.
    Second, Do we even know? DO we hear after the week has been sorted out to find out if the Ravens will match?
    Maybe it is "known" we would match a reasonable offer and people don't want to get used as negotiation pawns, when they may wait it out and get a shot next year.
    I will admit that most GM's are not likely to share as high of an opinion as I, and many probably value both RT and LT less then I do.
    It is certainly surprising that little more then rumors has been reported on his behalf... I'd be very surprised if that is how the situation is resolved. If it is, then I highly doubt we see a single RFA change teams.

But again, your assertion regarding Gaither is that he's bordering on being at elite LT. What other player out there has a 1st round tender that is would fall into that category? Marshall is the only one and his off the field issues are what are holding him back.

Gaither is 23, possess unbelieveable natural talent, and has performed pretty well in his short career.

PFF (I think that's it) lists him as the 5th rated left tackle in the league.

Yet no offer a week into free agency?

Don't get me wrong, I'd be more than happy to have Gaither back and I think he will back.

But IMO his work ethic has clearly diminished his value. He undoubtedly has the tools to become elite. I just think the Ravens, and most other teams, think he's got alot more to prove.

Because if he truly were a top 10 tackle, he'd have seen an offer by now IMO.

I think Ozzie knows how other teams view him right now and is in the midst of proving it to Rosenhaus.

PP

Twitter update:

DanKolko

RT @SI_RossTucker: GT WR Demaryius Thomas said the Ravens really like him, tell him he got a 7 of 7 on his interview; are setting up a visit

That's pretty ridiculous. You're backpedaling pretty quickly now. Roy Williams was considered a very good to great receiver and was available for less than what the Bills got for Peters. Brandon Marshall is a great receiver who has MAJOR issues that have both impeded his ability to play (suspensions) and his performance on the field. It's not saying something about the state of the NFL. The state of the NFL doesn't change that much in one year. The only exception to that argument is to argue that a team would be MORE willing to offer Gaither a ridiculous deal because there's no cap anymore.

More than that, your example is terrible because while Marshall has all of those major issues surrounding him, he's STILL got teams that are really, actually, legitimately considering him as an option. Seattle, with the #6 and #14 picks, appears to be giving him a serious look. Other teams are believed to be interested as well. And yet here sits Gaither, a guy you're calling elite, at a position you argue is the second most important on the field, with no interest at all; while a guy with major issues at a position you believe is one of the least valuable in the league is getting all kinds of looks.

I get your point. You believe Gaither's elite. I don't care if you want to continue thinking that. I just don't get how you seem incapable of understanding that the market is speaking VOLUMES about Gaither's actual value right now. If you want to remain willfully ignorant, I suppose that's your right. But I don't know how you can continue to try to justify your stance.

But again, your assertion regarding Gaither is that he's bordering on being at elite LT. What other player out there has a 1st round tender that is would fall into that category? Marshall is the only one and his off the field issues are what are holding him back.
    And, like I said, he's actually getting interest, despite all his major problems.

I think Ozzie knows how other teams view him right now and is in the midst of proving it to Rosenhaus.
    Yeah, I think this is dead on. Ozzie'd probably like Gaither back, wants to make it very clear that he won't be taken for a huge contract for a guy no one considers to be elite, and frankly is probably thinking "And if someone does think he's elite and signs him, great."

Obviously I don't know that for sure. But there's almost no other reason I can see for offering him only a 1st round tender that makes sense.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Obviously I don't know that for sure. But there's almost no other reason I can see for offering him only a 1st round tender that makes sense.

- C -
    Like I said from the beginning... to get a competitive quote. Ozzie doesn't want to bid against himself and give him the highest contract at his posion LIKE HE ALWAYS DOES. Honestly, the Ravens have very little negotiation room south of there without competing offers.

The only way any of us know anything for sure, is if there is an offer. Once Giather get's his next deal and whom it's from is when we will know his league-wide value.

I KNOW that I value him more then most, but I certainly hope Oz values him more hten you do.

I KNOW that I value him more then most, but I certainly hope Oz values him more hten you do.
    If no one else does, why does it matter if Ozzie does or not?

- C -

www.oblongspheroid.com

If no one else does, why does it matter if Ozzie does or not?

- C -
    Because this team will be worse off if Gaither Plays for another team.

Because this team will be worse off if Gaither Plays for another team.
    You understand that just because Ozzie may value Gaither around where I value Gaither, it doesn't mean that he's going to be playing for another team, right?

- C -

www.oblongspheroid.com

You understand that just because Ozzie may value Gaither around where I value Gaither, it doesn't mean that he's going to be playing for another team, right?

- C -
    correct, for this year. As long as another GM doesn't agree with me, which, you are correct in that we LIKELY would have heard that by now.
    Next year, is another story. I'd hope we would tag him if we can't get a deal done. Unless of course we bring in a RT that is sufficient in the interim. That would mean spending a high pick on a player wihtout gaining a 1st for Gaither this year.