Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Will trading for Boldin change the Ravens' draft strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    It could, but not quite yet for me.
    Still have some unsettled things like Gaither and Yanda, and to a lesser degree Chester and a TE and possibly a FB.
    I'm not going to start drooling over the O until the OL locks down. If Gaither and Yanda get ridiculous offers, I can see our draft having to change because once it gets past the top maybe 5 or 6, then it is best relative player available with hair splitting between some players/positions.
    I'm holding off till I know we don't have holes open on the OL.

Once that happens I'll join you
    The way I see it as long as we would get good compensation for each guy we are pretty much in a no lose situation even though it would be a gamble to reshuffle the O line.

The Ravens have already become a legit top 10 O. they led the NFL in rushing TDs last year, both top backs had 5ypc and a ton of yards and TDs. Heap and Mason put up solid #1 Wr and TE stats and Flacco was top 10 in Qb rating. They blew the Pats D away on the road.

The balance that should be there next year will make the Ravens O almost impossible to match up with.

The consistancy was not what it should have been, but the production at SD, NE and even the steeler game that slipped through Mason's fingers was proof of the potential, that should turn into much better production this year if Flacco stays healthy. The passing game last year was fine until he and Gaither got hurt. With better WRs TEs and a consistant O line ther is no reason Flacco and the O should not grow.

:T2:

Re: Will trading for Boldin change the Ravens' draft strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    The Ravens have already become a legit top 10 O. they led the NFL in rushing TDs last year, both top backs had 5ypc and a ton of yards and TDs. Heap and Mason put up solid #1 Wr and TE stats and Flacco was top 10 in Qb rating. They blew the Pats D away on the road.
    Apparently you don't think Jared Gaither had anything to do with this, or else you would see how we could lose in this situation. Do you remember before last draft? How we all felt we needed to do something to stop Woodley... Many thoguht we needed Pettigrew, some a tackle like Loadholt in the second. If anyone thought we had a reasonable shot at Oher, we would have all been asking for him.

But the thing is, he SOMEHOW fell to a reachable distance to TRADE UP in the FIRST ROUND to solve that problem. But most everyone around here is fine with getting any first round pick for Gaither like we can score a guy like Oher EVERY YEAR now???? Did no one hear that if the draft was doen over, Oher might go #1 overall? Do you think that's going to make it easier to get players that can play RT and LT at a high level?
    NO, these players go early and often in every draft. Basically every guy that is good in the league is a mid first round pick at the latest. We lucked out and got Gaither for a 5th round supplemental, and we LUCKED OUT getting Oher late in the first. There's plenty of Robert Gallery's out there too.

There is plenty of opporunity to lose... it's certainly not all win here.