Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coaching Carousel '08

In another thread, OldBay asked:
    > What 8 teams will be letting their coaches go?

Good question! Where will the coaching carousel be picking up & dropping off passengers next year? Can't pick 8? At least pick 6.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Smile Re: Coaching Carousel '08

Redskins
    Chargers
    Browns
    Jaguars
    Giants
    Lions
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Re: Coaching Carousel '08

I'll list my top 8 guesses for coaching changes, no particular order. Not saying there will be a change, just what I think the 8 most likely would be.

Green Bay ~ heading into year 3-4 if the team bombs, he might be out)
    Washington ~ If Gibbs doesn't improve Danny-boy's going to be furious)
    Jacksonville ~ I like Del Rio too, but his teams never get over the top with about 30 busts at wide reciever and who is going to QB this team? it looks ugly down there
    New York (Giants) ~ Tiki bashes Coughlin every chance he gets. It's classless, but it's what the players think
    Detroit ~ I think we may see a wretched repeat in Detroit. Why is Matt Millen still there? Honestly, I'm trying to figure out what makes him invulnerable to the pink slips. Maybe he doesn't check his voice mail or email.
    Tampa bay ~ Ok chucky, you won the superbowl, grace period is over about last year. 5-11 or 6-10 and you're out.
    Seattle ~ Holmgren has been there a long time, but not getting it done last year or the year before the Seahawks are in trouble...the west isn't as bad as it was when Shaun Alexander ran all over everyone. The seahawks might go sub-500.
    Carolina ~ John Fox has been there for 5 years. Delhomme got exposed, if Steve Smith is hurt at all this team really suffers.

My guess as to the 8 teams least likely
    New England
    Indianapolis ~ unless Dungy retires
    New Orleans
    Chicago
    Arizona
    New York (Jets)
    Houston
    Pittsburgh

By being fired:
    Giiants
    Skins
    Panthers
    Jaguars
    Chiefs- Herm Edwards guides the Chiefs to 8-8 reg season and "retires".
    BILLS- Levy gets Buffalo to 9-7, and retires announcing the turn around has been made, it's time for a new era.
    Bucs- Perhaps Gruden gets canned too for not being able to guide that ball fo much of a team to the playpffs.

The NFC West will be the class of the NFC and a hotly contested battle and 3 playoff teams. You heard it here. Seattle goes 8-8 finishing fourth.

Teams that are most likely to lose their coaches in some fashion next year: Redskins, Giants, Bears, Browns, Bucs, Panthers, and possibly Chiefs and Colts.

My lead-pipe lock: Cleveland is going to fire Crennel, because there is no way that group is going to get close to .500. He might be gone after 4-5 games.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Here are my thoughts.

Most likely to get fired:
    Del Rio - Jacksonville
    Crennel - Cleveland
    Coughlin - Giants
    Gruden - Tampa Bay

Two likely retirees:
    Gibbs - Washington (forced by DS, I don't think he'd fire him)
    Levy - Buffalo
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Sorry, but I cannot see Danny Boy ever firing Old Man Gibbs. If they have another sub-par season, Danny may just ask Joe to step down quietly. Why does he want to tarnish his legacy by working for Danny the Midget?

I'm not sold on Dallas' HC pick-up.I think he's just a filler 'til Jerry can throw a ton of money at Jeff Fisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Sorry, but I cannot see Danny Boy ever firing Old Man Gibbs. If they have another sub-par season, Danny may just ask Joe to step down quietly. Why does he want to tarnish his legacy by working for Danny the Midget?
    Agree 100%. It won't be a firing. It will be a gently urged retirement, with honor & dignity.
    Festivus

I'm with camdenyard, Crennel will not survive one more season. Aside from the Browns, my others would be:

Carolina (underachieved big-time last year)
    Jacksonville (rumors that Del Rio wants to leave aren't going to help him)
    Giants (if they have a bad year)
    Bucs (ditto)

You guys that keep talking about Marv Levy, did I miss something?

Jerry Jones won't fire Phillips after only one year -- that would be admitting that he made a mistake by hiring him. He can't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    You guys that keep talking about Marv Levy, did I miss something?
    Complete amateur speculation on my part. The guy's old, and has been in professional football for about 200 years. *I'd* retire, for sure. :)
    Festivus