Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: OT / The ESPN bias for Big Jen ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post

Pointing out that Americans are innocent until being proven guilty, and that use of the term "alleged" helps protect ESPN from a lawsuit = "being a dick"?? Geez -- I wonder how you would react if I tossed a few f-bombs .... lighten up, Francis! It's just a discussion board.
    All I was saying is that when someone puts emphasis on a word it is done typically to draw attention to that word, which is typically done to influence someones thought about the topic. I don't see the need for them to do that. Just report the story, that's all.

Thank you,
    Francis

Blog Entries

I'd have to say I am on both sides here, they should use the word alleged and by all right.

The way they are saying it though, with the expression ALLEGED!!!!!!!
    makes it sound like just another woman trying to get paid and that it is probably BS and that Ben did nothing wrong because he ALLEGEDLY!!!! assaulted her, but no one knows.

Either way the reporting and investigation of the incident has been ridiculous, if it were a regular Joe he wouldn't be chilling out for 2-3 days prior to be interviewed. I mean WTF is going on, did he do it or not, is there evidence and statements. It doesn't take a week to figure out if someone is a predator, Johnny Blow would be taking off the street so he can't assualt another young lady. Mean while Ben is probably gearing up for another weekend of partying in a College Bar.

I know it takes time to investigate, but these guys seem like they don't have a clue when being asked questions or inerviewed

3. Re: OT / The ESPN bias for Big Jen ...

The only thing I hate about what ESPN is doing is the insistent mention of Ray Lewis when talking about Rapistberger's lawyer. Every single time they mention this guy's name they mention Ray's "double murder case".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    The only thing I hate about what ESPN is doing is the insistent mention of Ray Lewis when talking about Rapistberger's lawyer. Every single time they mention this guy's name they mention Ray's "double murder case".
    Yeah, I really wish Rothlisberger had hired different lawyers. It feels like both Ben AND Ray are being tried in the court of public opinion over Ben's incident.

Somebody said above that they think that ESPN keeps comparing this to Ray's situation to sway public opinion in favor of Ben...

Everyone in America who is not a Raven's fan is convinced Ray Lewis got away with murder. The effect on public opinion will be quite the opposite. It seems like this story keeps tightening its grip around Ben. His career has been officially asterisked.
    Last edited by Flipping Birdie; 03-09-2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: punctuation

My early guess on the outcome of this is an undisclosed settlement out of court to satisfy the 20 year old victim and then Ben spends the spring months in alcohol rehab so that this whole mess of his becomes framed as drinking problem and not a serial perpetrator issue. He will come out as Tiger did, say his apologies, shed some tears and suit up for summer camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    My early guess on the outcome of this is an undisclosed settlement out of court to satisfy the 20 year old victim and then Ben spends the spring months in alcohol rehab so that this whole mess of his becomes framed as drinking problem and not a serial perpetrator issue. He will come out as Tiger did, say his apologies, shed some tears and suit up for summer camp.
    Good thought. You know this is setting him up to be the redeemed one. ESPN's comeback player of the year anyone?
    "I HAVE SIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNED!!!"