Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OT / The ESPN bias for Big Jen ...

... has been noticed by fans outside of Baltimore and the Ravens.

The Junks do an excellent job breaking down the bias and where ESPN has it's priorities (around the 10 min mark of segment 1)

http://1067thefandc.radio.com/2010/0...-junkies-3810/

Blog Entries

Re: OT / The ESPN bias for Big Jen ...

I've noticed several things that piss me off about this.

1.) The number of people commenting on the stories are all "innocent until proven guilty", and "no charges filed" etc (which is 100% correct). But they are the same people saying Ray is a murderer when he was never convicted of that

2.) Most media reports say he retained the same lawyer as Ray. In what seems like an attempt to me (in the context I've seen it used) to lessen the accusations on Big Jen.

3.) It is driving me crazy how every report especially on ESPN emphasizes ALLEGED sexual assault, Like there is NO WAY he could have done it, like this girl is making it up and just couldn't say no to him.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    3.) It is driving me crazy how every report especially on ESPN emphasizes ALLEGED sexual assault
    I believe that Ben may have a decent case for a lawsuit against ESPN if they didn't say "alleged".:grbac:

btw: this is not France .... innocent until proven guilty. I believe that he's done something wrong, but I'll wait until hearing some facts come out of the investigation before concluding anything. Maybe she's a 2nd gold digger, or maybe Ben is a rapist or molester. I don't know and neither do you, or ESPN reporters.

Like there is NO WAY he could have done it, like this girl is making it up and just couldn't say no to him.
    That's your impression, only. Is anyone from ESPN saying that the girl made it up? ............ didn't think so.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

1.) The number of people commenting on the stories are all "innocent until proven guilty", and "no charges filed" etc (which is 100% correct). But they are the same people saying Ray is a murderer when he was never convicted of that
    This has quieted down, IMO.

I have several friends that are Shittsburgh fans and that's all I heard for 10 years -- Ray is a murderer.

Well, karma is a bitch and now those same friends have their collective mouths zipped.

I give ESPN a pass on the "alleged" statements. I remember them saying the same thing for Tiger when all that nonsense first broke. This story broke late in the week and nobody was talking until Monday.

While I do think there is a bias towards some stars in pro sports, today they ran a couple of segments on Big Jen but were VERY careful to slip in "alleged" (and rightfully so) any chance they got.

Strictly speaking as a Purple-and-Black fan, I look forward to crisis in the Three-River Cesspool. However, as a lawyer, I know that you have to qualify all reports as "allegations" since a story about a crime is one-sided to start. The scary part of the system is that anybody can walk into a Commissioner's office and shovel garbage and charges are filed. You then have to engage an attorney to defend yourself while the accuser gets taxpayer dollars to present the case. It happens a lot in family law cases to gain an advantage (custody, alimony, use of the house). The "breaking story" sounds great, but so did the Duke lacrosse one. Best to wait until all the security cameras and the witnesses are in before figuring this one out. Frankenstein may not be as he is portrayed; it is just his looks that throw us off.

Blog Entries

Where there is smoke there’s usually a fire! The exception to this is when you are dealing with women, alcohol and high paid athletes. But this is the second occasion within the last 365 days that we have smelled the smoke.

And ESPN is bias !! MIKE & mike open a segment of the show this morning with “You know, I know about Big Ben but Allen Iverson is going through some really tuff…..”, 5 minutes later they commercial and transition into March madness! C’mon Iverson is a head case ??? really?? what else is new?

TMZ is now reporting that the "alleged" assault took place inside the woman's restroom of the night club.

Things have gone from bad to worse for Big Jen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    TMZ is now reporting that the "alleged" assault took place inside the woman's restroom of the night club.

Things have gone from bad to worse for Big Jen.
    Im no lawyer but I know it’s going to be pretty hard to explain why your client was in a women’s rest room, let alone the fact that he was accused of something while in there on top of it . Not looking good if this is true

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I believe that Ben may have a decent case for a lawsuit against ESPN if they didn't say "alleged".:grbac:

btw: this is not France .... innocent until proven guilty. I believe that he's done something wrong, but I'll wait until hearing some facts come out of the investigation before concluding anything. Maybe she's a 2nd gold digger, or maybe Ben is a rapist or molester. I don't know and neither do you, or ESPN reporters.

That's your impression, only. Is anyone from ESPN saying that the girl made it up? ............ didn't think so.
    Of course I don't know and of course you don't either and neither does ESPN. My point was the huge emphasis on the word alleged. It is ALWAYS alleged until proven. Obviously it's my impression... I wrote it, not sure it required you to be a dick about it though...

Of course I don't know and of course you don't either and neither does ESPN. My point was the huge emphasis on the word alleged. It is ALWAYS alleged until proven.
    Yeah but why's the emphasis bother you so much? They do it with EVERYONE that's accused of something prior to being found guilty. They did it with Ray Lewis back in '00. This is the standard, and it SHOULD be the standard. If some chick accused you of raping her and ESPN reported it, would you want to hear them talking about the rape, as opposed to the alleged rape?

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Yeah but why's the emphasis bother you so much? They do it with EVERYONE that's accused of something prior to being found guilty. They did it with Ray Lewis back in '00. This is the standard, and it SHOULD be the standard. If some chick accused you of raping her and ESPN reported it, would you want to hear them talking about the rape, as opposed to the alleged rape?

- C -

I think everyone needs to relax a little. I said no where that I belive her or him or anyone.

My point is more about the news/media anyway not just ESPN. It's like when you here a woman is murdered, the news will say police SAY the husband is not a suspect at this time. While it is a statement of fact the emphasis on the word "say" makes it seem like they don't belive it. Their job is to report a story not emphasize anyword.

I agree the should say alleged rape, I am aware that no one is guilty until proven, which should be the case. Being in sales for the past 10 years, I am well aware how to lead people to believe something is true or not true by emphasizing or not emphaszing certain words. TO ME, all they have to say is alleged not ALLEGED

Wink Re: OT / The ESPN bias for Big Jen ...

It is ALWAYS alleged until proven. Obviously it's my impression... I wrote it, not sure it required you to be a dick about it though...

Pointing out that Americans are innocent until being proven guilty, and that use of the term "alleged" helps protect ESPN from a lawsuit = "being a dick"?? Geez -- I wonder how you would react if I tossed a few f-bombs .... lighten up, Francis! It's just a discussion board.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).