Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Troy Smith Wants to be a Bownie

I know a lot of people think he is a good QB, but I am not sure why they feel that way. There is no evidence one way or the other. His agent speaks for him, and if he does not then Troy should shut him up. My feeling is we should let Troy start crawling his way to the Clowns.
    God Speed Troy, don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.

Blog Entries

I don't think the Clowns really want him.
    Used to be there was a "Raven factor" with the Clowns where any of our personell had a higher priority. Across the years we probably could put together a team and most of the FO with Ravens and ex-Ravens they grabbed.
    But I really think those days have ended, Holmgren changing all that. In the past I'd be more concerned hearing the Clowns involved, these days it is just another team.

Sure they would take him if we gave him away, but so would a bunch of other teams wanting to look at "the poor man's Michael Vick".

We have heard the Cleveland area rumbling only from the player side, and it makes logical sense in that light (area familiarity, unsettled QB starter...)

But this is a whole new regeime there, and I doubt if they'd pay much for unrealized paper potential, especially someone so resistant to translating his athleticism to another position.
    He could be a throw in as part of a draft day move, but I really think he won't get an offer out of our easily matching range. Now whether or not we match it or take the pick still has too many variables (dollars and how high/low of a 5th).
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

It may not be a good idea for him to crawl all the way to Cleveland, I mean that long exposed in the elements wading through countless bacteria and germs. He would run the risk of getting sick and who knows, might lose any chance he has of being a starter there.
    There is only absolute black and absolute white, all else are shades of gray.

browns just brought in Seneca Wallace... unlikely Troy will go there...

Blog Entries

So, wonder what Cindrich says now...

"uhhhh, Troy Smith would crawl to the Cincinatti Bengals...That is where he REALLY wanted to go all along!"

I'm putting down 20 bucks says next year, Troy Smith wears purple and black.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Wink Re: Troy Smith Wants to be a Bownie

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I'm putting down 20 bucks says next year, Troy Smith wears purple and black.
    I don't think so. I'll see your $20 and raise you $10.

Harbaugh doesn't want bad seeds. He has already had a year's worth of Smith's bullshit, and is likely to want to dump him whether the Ravens receive compensation or not. There was a reason why the Ravens leaked the story on Todd Collins.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Maybe...let me change my story a bit...

I'll bet 100 dollars Troy Smith is not a starting QB in Week 1 of the 2010 season.

Yeah, I could see us cutting ties with him and just using the tender as sort of "splashing the pot" to see if we can get something for him. I do think it's pretty telling that we 1) used the lowest tender possible on Smith instead of using a more expected 2nd round tender, which would likely make most teams fold their cards and 2) we reached out to Todd Collins. Moreso the first, but the 2nd kind've factors into it. I think more likely, we'd just have a quiet competition between Collins, Beck, and Smith for the 2 backup spots and at that point, either see if we can trade Smith or just cut him. More likely, just cut him because at that point, most teams will be smart enough to know we'd just cut him anyway.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Troy overplayed his hand.

Holmgren picked up Seneca Wallace .....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eneca-wallace/

I say get rid of that distraction fast. Jettison Smith for anything you get.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 03-09-2010 at 09:09 AM.

Blog Entries

Not sure why we'd want a backup QB of a different mold than our starter. He's short and mobile and IIRC doesn't have a big arm, though I have to confess, it's been so long since I've thought much about him as a viable QB that I've kind of forgotten what his strengths might be. In any case, to me it makes a lot more sense to have your backup be as much of a clone of your starter as you can afford to have, so that if you need to put him in the game you have as little disruption to the rhythm and flow of your offense as possible. I don't see how going from a huge, mega-armed QB like Flacco to a short, running, pea-shooter-armed QB like Troy would be anything but a paradigm shift for the Ravens if it had to happen in mid-game.

The only reason I think the Browns wouldn't want to make a deal with us for him is they're deathly afraid we'll turn that draft pick into a pro-bowl player who will beat their brains in for year after year and they'll never hear the end of it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post

The only reason I think the Browns wouldn't want to make a deal with us for him is they're deathly afraid we'll turn that draft pick into a pro-bowl player who will beat their brains in for year after year and they'll never hear the end of it.

then they should give us their 2nd rounder and they are probably safe, if however we get their 5th or 6th rounder, then they should be very afraid. Robiskie or AD?
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

His agent is a complete moron for airing this stuff out publically.

Even though Troy may feel a certain way, you don't go out and first, make a trade request during the middle of a playoff run, and then in the offseason, make your client out to be pathetically desperate to play for a division rival.

Troy needs to fire his agent and then get the hell out of Baltimore.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Not sure why we'd want a backup QB of a different mold than our starter.
    The reason you'd want that is for a change of pace and/or trick plays, primarily. We ran some very successful plays with him under center in '08. The Flacco receiver play, anyone? Another advantage can be that if he has to come in and play, teams aren't prepared for him. If you have specific plays designed and practiced, the defense could be caught off-guard to help off-set the dramatic downgrade of going from a viable starter to a backup.

Not saying that's what you want for sure or that Troy satisfies that as a good backup QB option, but there are reasons to want a backup in a different mold than the starter.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid