Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Bears fire R Rivera

What 8 teams will be letting their coaches go?

Re: Bears fire R Rivera

Quote Originally Posted by F Angelos View Post
    Update: Rivera hired as SD's linebacker coach. According to J Clayton he asked the Bears for a raise from $450,000 to $900,000.

I'm sure they hired him just to fire him, when they could have just hired Ron Rivera Now....

What I am noticing, is the trend of 1a and 1b coaching staffs. It has been mentioned that Turner was picked becuase essentially he was the only offensive candidate left, and they had already chosen their deffensive Guy.
    Dallas has Garrett, along iwth Phillips, Dom Capers in Miami, etc.

Talk about a rapid decline -- this guy was (apparently) a serious head coaching candidate for several teams, and now all the sudden he's a linebackers coach? WTF? In fact, wasn't San Diego one of the teams that interviewed him for the HC job? And then they don't even offer him the DC job, which was also vacant? Pretty strange sequence of events.

Was Rivera considered a minority candidate? If he was, maybe that's why he got so many interviews. I wonder how serious a candidate he really was for some of these jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    Talk about a rapid decline -- this guy was (apparently) a serious head coaching candidate for several teams, and now all the sudden he's a linebackers coach? WTF? In fact, wasn't San Diego one of the teams that interviewed him for the HC job? And then they don't even offer him the DC job, which was also vacant? Pretty strange sequence of events.

Was Rivera considered a minority candidate? If he was, maybe that's why he got so many interviews. I wonder how serious a candidate he really was for some of these jobs.
    I bet Turner & SD already have their DC picked out, and just haven't finalized arrangements yet. I'm curious to see who it will be. . .
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    I bet Turner & SD already have their DC picked out, and just haven't finalized arrangements yet. I'm curious to see who it will be. . .
    Actually it's already been announced -- Ted Contrell, who I think used to be the DC with the Jets, and wasn't even in the league last season. So Rivera is going to the linebackers coach, working for a DC who didn't even have an NFL job last year? I just think it's a little weird.

Here is what happens when you lose your job after every other opening has been filled... you get forced into taking a one year back step before youi shuffle forward. Part of Why Turner was brought in was that he was an offensive guy who had a defensive Coordinator in mind that both he and AJ Smith were comfortable with, thus the whole coaching staff would be set up and secondary to AJ Smith. Then Rivera gets fired... SD has virtually no coaching staff so could use a little veteran leadership and bningo. One year step, he'll be back at the forefront next year, or not, a la Fassell.