Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Ray Rice for a 1st & 2nd ???

Wow...can't believe anything so absurd would happen. You would pray to get somebody as good as Rice in the 1st or 2nd...but you know the thing is...we already have somebody as good as Ray Rice...its Ray Rice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    On the other hand, RB's have a limited shelf life and a No. 1 & 2 is a pretty enticing offer.

Now where might such an offer originate from? My source didn't say but it would not surprise me if it came from Bill Belichick.
    Enticing speculation but I think it is just fantasy.
    I'd do it in a heartbeat. We have aging playmakers on D (Ray/Ed) and hopefully no prospect of having a very high #1 pick in the future. With as deep as this draft is, we could set ourselves for excellence for years. But just see it as a pipe dream, can't see another team doing it (unless Ditka goes back to his Ricky Williams days). I wouldn't call Rice untouchable, but don't think we will see an offer we can't refuse, but there have been idiots in the past (Herschel to the Vikes anyone?).
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

RBs have short careers, so taking a 1 and 2 for Rice might be a good deal, but I wouldn't like it because I love the guy, even if in the long run it made the Ravens a little better.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    RBs have short careers, so taking a 1 and 2 for Rice might be a good deal, but I wouldn't like it because I love the guy, even if in the long run it made the Ravens a little better.

Running backs do have short careers, we remember the exceptions and lose sight of the extreme shortness. We remember Emmitt Smith but not so much Timmy Smith (SB rushing record), remember the Walter Paytons but not so much the Bo Jacksons (except with a lot of "could have").

I wouldn't like it either by a long shot. But I'd still do it, especially this draft.
    Turn a couple of years of production (already) out of a #2 for a #1 and #2? It is a no brainer, but you have to bury your heart to do it, don't think any of us would like it.

I think this summarizes the feelings of many fans (particularly those wearing No. 27 jerseys on game day) and it might also describe the feeling in the Ravens' front office if in fact this proposal was floated out there.

Sometimes there is a strong emotional attachment to a player who by most accounts is overachieving and someone who just happens to be a great guy, loved by teammates and solid in the community.

He could be worth even more than that at the end of his rookie deal. Say he is 25 and MVP of the NFL with an LT like season 25 TDs or some junk. Then it will be a very tough choice to pay him a truck load of cash or trade him for pretty good picks.

:T2:

Ray is a unique talent, as I posted earlier. It makes absolutely NO sense to even consider trading a talent like Ray, that means so much to the success of our team Right Now! To do so is ABSURD! Let's win a SB first, before going off half-cocked like we are doing now.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Who on earth would give a 1 and a 2 for a RB? I think the level of unmitigated bullshit passing for "rumor" has hit a new peak.
    Didn't Mike Ditka trade like 6 picks for Ricky Williams one year? No chance this deal happens though. The Ravens would be out of their minds to trade one of the best players in the league.

why would we trade away a guy who has only played 2 years for draft picks for our future... isnt that essentially being the montreal expos of the nfl? at some point you play for the present

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlacco View Post
    Didn't Mike Ditka trade like 6 picks for Ricky Williams one year? No chance this deal happens though. The Ravens would be out of their minds to trade one of the best players in the league.
    Yeah maybe and only maybe if someone traded us six picks then maybe possibly Ozzie would consider it, other than that there is no way Ozzie even bothers listening.

A guy going into his third year, a possible MVP candidate, not a malcontent at all.......you believe they would entertain this, I have some oceanfront property in PA to sell you.
    Section 517 since 2001!!!! Real fans sit real high!!!![

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlacco View Post
    All six of N.O's picks that year (1-12, 3-71, 4-107, 5-144, 6-179 and 7-218) plus 1st (2-Arrington) and 3rd (64) in 2000.