Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: Boldin is a Raven!

Quote Originally Posted by Flipping Birdie View Post
    Wide receiver Anquan Boldin on being traded to the Ravens (courtesy of Ravens' Web site):

"“I’m definitely excited. For me, I’ve been hoping for this for a year since I first heard that the Ravens might be interested in me. I even talked with Ray [Lewis] about it a year ago. I really look at this as a great opportunity for me. They love football in Baltimore. I know that from when the Cardinals played there a few years ago. That place was loud, very impressive by the fans. The Ravens play a certain way. They play as hard and as physical as any team in the league, and I want to add to that. I think I play the way they play.”

Link

I know it his his job to blow smoke up our asses and make the fans feel good about themselves, but still:

It's the same BS that every traded player says I be damned if it dont sound good.

Great job Oz Like we always say right player, right price. And this was definitly both. Not the long term solution of course. But Boldin will help Flacco grow for a few years.

It's a good day to be a Raven!
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by pyite32 View Post
    I don't think Boldin is the answer for a #1 going into the future. I think we still need to draft a young WR who could stretch the field. Boldin is more of a posession receiver who is big and can make a lot of yards after the catch.

My best guess is they are going to try to trade out of the 1st b/c the receivers after Dez will fall to the 2nd
    Stallworth is the guy to stretch the field.

Blog Entries

I think the WR picture might be a bit shaken up after the combine. I didn't follow it too closely, but reports are that Dez Bryant did NOT make a lot of teams happy, coming off as immature and unmotivated. Reports were that he was constantly late for team meetings and practices, then he left the combine early which most prospects don't do...

So there's a chance he slides a bit. In fact the latest SI mock draft has Golden Tate going ahead of him to the Bengals, and us taking him. Granted, a good Pro Day could turn that around, but I think the guys I'd rather see us take are Arrelious Benn, Brandon LaFell, or Demaryius Thomas

So yeah, unless Gresham or a stud S or DL is there, I say trade back and try to pick up a 4th or 3rd.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

This is FANTASTIC news!!
    :ww:

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if they let Mason go, mainly because they can't keep all 3 and Clayton isn't a bad #2, he's just never going to be a #1.
    Don't mean to jump on you about and don't want to start another pro or against clayton string, but Clayton is not a good #2. I don't even have to look at his stats (which I know aren't good except the one year) to see that he disappears in every big game, and gets shutdown one on one by middle of the road CB's.

The only thing I would be interested in seeing this year is Clayton trying to be a Wes Welker type in the slot. Just running slants, sit downs in the zone for a checkdown, or slugos all game long.

Anyway, it is my opinion that it is absolutely imperitive that we resign Mason. Failing that we need to sign Walter to be the #2 because no one else on the roster can do it. Maybe Stallworth but he hasn't shown the abiltiy in the past to be consistant.
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    Stallworth is the guy to stretch the field.
    Yes but he hasn't proved he can consitantly be a difference maker at WR. My hope is with his taking responsibilty for his off the field mistakes and this basically being his last chance to prove he can play and get another contract that he buckles down and plays to his potential.

I just don't think we can count on that.

However if that happens and we have Stallworth and Boldin on the outside with Mason in the slot, lights out league.
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pyite32 View Post
    Anyway, it is my opinion that it is absolutely imperitive that we resign Mason. Failing that we need to sign Walter to be the #2 because no one else on the roster can do it. Maybe Stallworth but he hasn't shown the abiltiy in the past to be consistant.
    No Walter, about an hour after we announced the trade, he re-upped with the Texans.

Our contigency plan if Mason is gone would be Antonio Bryant or TO...

Stallworth and Clayton ideally should be competing for the #3 spot. So if Mason goes, I'd like us at least bring in someone who can push for the #2 spot. I'd even go with Kelley Washington returning for that.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Stallworth and Clayton ideally should be competing for the #3 spot
    I disagree. Stallworth has his job locked up without one snap. It's going to be up to Clayton to beat him out at this point.

No Walter, about an hour after we announced the trade, he re-upped with the Texans.

Our contigency plan if Mason is gone would be Antonio Bryant or TO...

Stallworth and Clayton ideally should be competing for the #3 spot. So if Mason goes, I'd like us at least bring in someone who can push for the #2 spot. I'd even go with Kelley Washington returning for that.
    Afgreed all around, but wouldn't pay Bryant much or for long... He's an enigma... I'm not sure I'd really be interested unless it was a bargain, I jsut have no idea what to expect from him.

Kelley would be a reasonable fallback at this point. We'd still be stronger then last year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I disagree. Stallworth has his job locked up without one snap. It's going to be up to Clayton to beat him out at this point.
    Look, we can throw Clayton under the bus all we want...Stallworth has been out of football for a year, and the year before that, he wasn't all that productive at all. Clayton hasn't been able to produce as a #2, but if he's got Mason and Boldin drawing heat off him, I'd bet he can be a damn good #3 receiver.

Stallworth probably has more POTENTIAL, but he needs to show it on the field in TC before I'll call him the favorite in that battle.

Look, we can throw Clayton under the bus all we want...Stallworth has been out of football for a year, and the year before that, he wasn't all that productive at all. Clayton hasn't been able to produce as a #2, but if he's got Mason and Boldin drawing heat off him, I'd bet he can be a damn good #3 receiver.

Stallworth probably has more POTENTIAL, but he needs to show it on the field in TC before I'll call him the favorite in that battle.
    Like I said, we disagree.

I believe your logic makes sense to us fans but I fail to see that's how the team is viewing Clayton at this point.

Assuming Mason returns, he drops to number 4, fighting his way to earn a #3 slot, IMO.

I love the move. Boldin was both the right player and the right price. There are too many elite prospects in this draft to give up a 1 or a 2, but none of the rookie WRs have the same kind of potential immidiate impact that Boldin can.

Now on O, the only "holes" I see are at #2 TE that could be filled with a late pick, and maybe a more explosive return man/ WR or RB prospect like Figurs was supposed to be. I like Jacoby Ford and Trindin Holliday in the draft for those kind of Sproles roles. Maybe grab Jimmy Grahm at TE at the end of round 2 or a guy like Peek later on.

:T2: