Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Irvin fired by ESPN

This story broke Fri and nobody on here has heard yet? ESPN finally confirmed it last night on Sportscenter. No word yet on replacement. Maybe he and Sterling Sharpe can start their own pre-game show network.
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.

Re: Crackpipe Irvin fired

& they can take Sean Salisbury with them, he of the "jew" comment & pictures of his privates that got suspended for a week by ESPN.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PARavensJeff View Post
    & they can take Sean Salisbury with them, he of the "jew" comment & pictures of his privates that got suspended for a week by ESPN.
    When did he make a Jew comment? Please provide the details.

You didn't hear about that? You need to be more plugged in. It was on profootballtalk.com when it happened. Salisbury said he didn't say it, but he did.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/1-16-...ugh1-31-07.htm

scroll down to 1-23 & then back up, there are a couple stories about his comments he made about Manning & howthey moved the ball.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

much a"jew" about nothing here...

so he slipped and said "jew" instead of "chew." If it was some kind of anti-semetic joke it wouldn't even make sense.

It's not like he was like "the refs must be jews they called such a cheap penalty on Glenn for holding" or something like that.

RnT, the suggestion is he would have used the word 'jew' for one of its offensive definitions, specifically:
    jew (v.)
    "to cheat, to drive a hard bargain,"

His point being, the quarterback was taking small amounts, what he could get.

It's a word you don't hear much, at least not used that way, but 'chew' makes no sense in context, whereas that offensive useage of 'jew' appears to be exactly what he was trying to say.

Defend him if you want, I believe he used the word 'jew,' I believe it slipped out, I believe it's completely offensive even if not intended that way, and if sportscasters are going to be disciplined/fired for saying offensive stuff, then he should be disciplined/fired.

Plus there's the whole thing with, um, photography. He's just got to go, in my book.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

he said they will "bite, jew, and swallow" or something.

Here is the quote:

"No need to panic. We'll nip. We'll tuck. We'll go. We'll crunch. We'll Jew. We'll do it all and they nickel and dimed them and Peyton made the play when it mattered."

Here is a link to the audio. I have no idea why someone would use blatantly offensive llanguage on live tv, in a studio, but he does.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

He definitely said "Jew" but whether he meant to say it, who knows. It was all typical Salisbury nonsense anyway.

As far as Irvin goes, good riddance. I definitely won't miss his semi-literate ramblings. As an analyst, he was the worst.

Re: Irvin fired by ESPN

Who takes his place?

Schottenhiemer? Parcells?

?????
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

In his pre-Cowboys days I thought Parcells did a nice job, when I heard him. I think he was a weekly guest on one of the radio shows, but I can't remember for sure.
    Festivus

Im pretty sure ESPN has already lined up Parcells.

PP