Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Can't Be Critical of Flacco?

For awhile now I've been listening to and reading things about Flacco and how he preformed in his second year. It seems like to some people you can't be critical of the guy and if you are your saying he's a bust or something.

This is one example of it;

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/..._be_Elite.aspx

Anyone that watched any Ravens games this season with an objective eye saw Flacco struggle. To me he didn't really make much progress from year one to year two. That doesn't mean I think he's a bum or a bust, it just means I think his progress was minimal at best. Now they want to say that it was injury related, while during the season everyone from Flacco to Harbaugh said the injury didn't affect his play. When you’re seeing Flacco perform at the same time he and his coaches are saying the injury isn't affecting him then what other conclusion can you come to, other then he hasn't progressed?

I, like Cam believe Flacco is going to be a really good QB, I'll hold off on calling him an elite QB for now. He has a lot of progress to make other then throwing the ball any where on the field from any where on the field for him to be an elite qb. I need to see his pocket awareness get better, I need to see him find an open receiver while two DE are pulling him to the ground, I need to see him take control of a game winning drive by getting his team in and out of the huddle before the play clock runs down to 8 seconds, I need to see him hit receivers in stride on a consistent bases. There are so many areas of leadership missing from his game and I'm not talking about all that rah rah crap. I guy called into the radio station and made an excellent point. Peyton Manning has been in the league for 12 years and when he's not on the field he's look at pictures and talking to his OC. Flacco is in his second year and when he's not on the field he looks like he's waiting for a bus. You would think this would be reversed but it's not.

I hope Cam reads this thread; I can call things as I see them good or bad without coming to a conclusion about the guy’s entire career.

2. Re: Can't Be Critical of Flacco?

Flaccos's rookie year compares favorably to Manning's. His second year does as well.

His rating increased 8 points from last year.

He threw 7 more TD's and the same amount of INT's, throwing 70 more passes.

He threw for 600 more yards than last year.

He has the 5th most yards all time for a QB in his first two seasons.

He has won 3 playoff games in his first two seasons.

He has not missed a game in his first two seasons.

With the weapons he has around him and dominant run game, it's hard to argue that the guy has been awesome for us. In only his second year, he put up some of the best numbers any Ravens QB has EVER put up.

We are really in no position to complain about what he has done. You can't expect a better first two years from a QB than what this guy has given us.

You also have no idea what is going on when Joe is on the sideline, who he talks to right when he comes off the field, what is happening when the camera is not on him. Maybe he knows what they did right and what they did wrong, so he doesn't need to talk to any of the coaches?

It's really unrealistic for us to expect him to throw for 300 yards a game, especially when he only has Mason and Clayton to throw to. If they gained more separation and got open, Joe would be able to get the ball out to them. Would you rather him throw balls up for grabs than keep it and take the sack?

Look downfield, the receivers are shadowed all day, every week. They are terrible, even Clayton knows it (hence him saying the Ravens need a "weapon in the passing game" this off-season).

I critique Flacco just as much as the next guy on here, so it's not like I will bitch at anybody that says something bad about him. The bottom line is that you need to look at the big picture and realize that what he just did in only his second year as a QB is remarkable. For the 18th pick, from a D-II school, with no weapons, without getting reps in training camp, with several nagging injuries, this guy is all we could have asked for.

Be patient. Once Ozzie finds him some capable WR's, Joe's stats will only get better. But for goodness sake, don't critique that he doesn't talk to coaches on the sidelines or say anything like that. It's just idiotic.

Re: Can't Be Critical of Flacco?

Just an fyi, you can't believe a coach when he says his starting QB has an injury that isn't affecting him. You can't even believe the player. No team in their right mind puts that kind of information out there unless they absolutely can't hide the injury or it's seriousness. Cam just said that if the public had seen how much time and effort joe put into rehabbing each week to get ready we would be very impressed. There was an obvious injury, it did affect his throws, anyone with working eyes noticed it. You don't give the other team more reasons to gameplay around the run, and only the run.
    There is only absolute black and absolute white, all else are shades of gray.

Quote Originally Posted by RockGod View Post
    Anyone that watched any Ravens games this season with an objective eye saw Flacco struggle. To me he didn't really make much progress from year one to year two.
    I disagree. I think he was playing well up until the Minnesota game where I believe he was injured after taking a beating. After that he struggled the whole way.

Now they want to say that it was injury related, while during the season everyone from Flacco to Harbaugh said the injury didn't affect his play. When you’re seeing Flacco perform at the same time he and his coaches are saying the injury isn't affecting him then what other conclusion can you come to, other then he hasn't progressed?
    The most probable conclusion is that the Ravens under Harbaugh, as they have done before, were lying about the injury status of one of their QBs for as long as they could.

Remember Kyle Boller and the pre season of 2008? What happened? Think back now. And what did Harbaugh say when Troy Smith was going to start the 2nd game with Joe Flacco backing him up and Kyle Boller nowhere to be seen?

Blog Entries

I think that argument that Flacco was not injured because he and the coach said so is ridiculous. Like Harb is going to come out and say "Flacco's injuries will severely limit him in the passing game, so if I was the DC for the opposing team I'd concentrate on stopping our running game, because seriously, we're not getting anywhere by air."

It's sort of like how we all know as an irrefutable fact that Carson Palmer's injured thumb wasn't negatively effecting his game. Why? Because he and Marvin Lewis said so, that's why.
    Last edited by Flipping Birdie; 01-29-2010 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flipping Birdie View Post
    I think that argument that Flacco was not injured because he and the coach said so is ridiculous. Like Harb is going to come out and say "Flacco's injuries will severely limit him in the passing game, so if I was the DC for the opposing team I'd concentrate on stopping our running game, because seriously, we're not getting anywhere by air."

It's sort of like how we all know as an irrefutable fact that Carson Palmer's injured thumb wasn't negatively effecting his game. Why? Because he and Marvin Lewis said so, that's why.
    It has been well documented by reporters that his leg injury is one of the worst they have ever seen. He had to rehab it continually and have blood drained from his leg multiple times a week. So yes his injury was bad.

I agree that his overall progress was not overwhelming, but I am going to reserve my judgement on him being an elite QB until we surround him with some viable weapons!
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

Blog Entries

The problem is, there's about three types of people, when it comes to opinion about Joe Flacco...

1. People who believe Joe Flacco is a golden boy, can do now wrong, etc.
    2. People who believe Joe Flacco is a decent QB, still needs to get better
    3. Idiots who believe we need to cut, trade, or set free in the forest Joe Flacco because he OBVIOUSLY can't be an elite QB in his career, looking the way he has the past two years.

I'm somewhere between 1 and 2, I'll admit. I believe Joe did struggle this year, but I think he did progress a little. He wasn't as careless with the football this year as he was last year. Consider, Joe had a HUGE improvement in fumbling the ball, and he really did have less "OMG, what are you thinking?" type throws...the problem was that he had those throws in critical situations, so it made it all the more :grbac:

But to say he's elite? Yeah, that is a stretch. He's still the 3rd best QB in the AFC North, nevermind looking beyond our own division.

The problem comes in when people of type #3 are around, which seems to me to be far more often than most think. It's these people who are sitting here, asking why would we want to trade Troy Smith when Joe Flacco was struggling, and asking why we DON'T give Troy an opportunity to start. Again, I'll admit, that when I see a thread saying something about criticizing Joe, I'm already expecting the argument to be coming from a person of type 3. So right away, I'm trying to argue against the crticism.

I think it's fair to say Joe struggled. I think he did improve a bit, but I also think he raised the bar pretty high with his performance towards the end of last season. When a QB is able to lead his team to the AFC Championship game as a rookie, the expectation is he'll play the same or better. I think because of the injury, and because our receivers just crapped out towards the end, Joe's game got weak and rusty. I really hope we shake things up at WR a bit...If Mason returns, he needs a LEGITIMATE complement at WR...Mark Clayton is not going to do it...I know we'll likely keep him based on monetary/contract considerations, but PLEASE make him your #3 receiver! Kelley Washington would be a nice guy to have back, but not as a starter. He should be competing with Clayton for that #3 spot. And we NEED a WR in the draft we can groom. I can understand passing on some guys last year, but this year, you can NOT leave this draft with nothing to develop at WR, because if we're lucky enough to have Mason back, i can't see him playing any more than one year.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Joe Flacco is the third best QB in the AFC North?

Carson Palmer stats: 282/466 (60.5%) for 3,094 yds, 21 TD, 13 INT, 83.6 rating
    Joe Flacco stats: 315/499 (63.1%) for 3,613 yds, 21 TD, 12 INT, 88.9 rating

I don't think Flacco struggled anymore then any of the good qb's. Everyone makes bad throws here and there, I think at times he forced some balls but when u have the Wr's he has thats to be expected. Imo if you take numbers, wr's, etc. out of the equation and jus go skill set, he's a top 10 qb. Next year alot of folks willl see that

It seems like to some people you can't be critical of the guy and if you are your saying he's a bust or something. ... Anyone that watched any Ravens games this season with an objective eye saw Flacco struggle.
    I don't disagree with this. Certainly you can find things to criticize about Flacco.

To me he didn't really make much progress from year one to year two.
    But here's the problem. You take it too far. It is literally impossible to argue that Flacco did NOT make significant progress from Y1 to Y2. Every single major statistical indicator went up significantly.
    Comp % up over 3 points.
    TD % up a point.
    INT % down half a point.
    TD:INT ratio up 50%.
    YPA up
    AYPA up
    Rating almost 9 points higher
    Sack percentage down
    This, on a bum ankle at the end of the year, which who knows how much that was impacting his play. And do not play the "If you just watch him" card. It's a card overplayed by fans who think that they can evaluate the intricacies of the game better than coaches. It's sort of like claiming you watch game film, when in reality you're just watching the game rebroadcast.

Flacco has his faults, there's no doubt about that. He's also a second year QB from D2. I'm sorta tired of parroting how favorably his first two seasons compare to some of the best QBs in the game. It's not hard to find things to criticize about him, but many of those criticisms - such as "he hasn't improved this year vs. last year" - are completely without merit.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I don't think Flacco struggled anymore then any of the good qb's. Everyone makes bad throws here and there, I think at times he forced some balls but when u have the Wr's he has thats to be expected. Imo if you take numbers, wr's, etc. out of the equation and jus go skill set, he's a top 10 qb. Next year alot of folks willl see that
    I agree with that.

At the begining of the year when he and the O line were healthy, he was putting up top 5 type stats with the Wrs and TEs we have.

:T2:

Just an observation. Go back to the tape of the Minnesota game when Flacco was backpedaling. He rolled his ankle over big time. I was sure it was a high ankle sprain and he would be out of that game and miss at least 2-3 games if not more. I was shocked that he didn't miss any time at all.