1. Where did Fangio go?

I have not heard where Vic Fangio went to after leaving here...Does anyone know?

Blog Entries

Re: Where did Fangio go?

nowhere yet, but I'm sure someone will bring him on staff as a position coach or Defensive Assistant.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

If one has to guess, Jets. They let like 5 coaches go and as far as I know haven't hired anyone yet.

The real question is "Why was he let go?"

Does anyone have the answer to that question?

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post

I don't know, by I suspect that he was quite miffed at being bypassed by a lesser qualified candidate who had Harbaugh family connections. Perhaps Fangio merely quit.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Personally, I don't really care.

He was a pretty bad DC for the Saints and Colts and had a wierd/secretive like role on the staff with Billick.

Frankly, after seeing that he can't pay attention to a TV monitor during challenges or keep up with the rulebook, I'm glad he is gone. I don't think he was anything special.

After watching him coach our linebackers at this years training camp, I agree, he was nothing special.

He hardly commanded my respect. I can't imagine he had the respect of our veteran linebackers.

He was about as far from Singletary, Fitzgerald, and Mattison as you could get.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post

A Raven's insider from another board I frequent said that the players and Vic did not get along at all. It was a mutual decision for him to leave.
    Section 517 since 2001!!!! Real fans sit real high!!!![

Blog Entries

I have no issue with the Pees hire...despite the conspiracy theorists on here making out like Harbaugh is trying to turn our coaching meetings into his Sunday backyard barbecues by hiring all his buddies, I think Pees was just another good defensive mind to bring in and help out on the staff. He had a lot of good college experience, did a good job with the Pats LBs between 2004-05, and did okay as the Pats DC for the past 3 years. He wasn't fired, he opted out for another opportunity. And he turned down a DC job with the Broncos to come here.

The only thing I have an issue with is why Fangio had to leave. Now, if it was his decision, basically saying "look, I don't like to keep changing roles", then ok, I think that's understandable, and let's part on mutually good terms. But he did an ok job coaching the LBs, don't think he necessarily deserved to be fired, but we don't know if that was the case or what.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    He wasn't fired, he opted out for another opportunity. And he turned down a DC job with the Broncos to come here.
    Couple of thoughts to add.
    Pees has documented health problems.
    Conventional wisdom says to reduce stress when health is an issue.
    Wanted by Denver for DC, but that can be viewed as Belicheat West, he may have seen that as a different location, same stress factors repeated.
    Not to say that the work won't be just as hard or demanding here, but the Ravens sure look like an organization that runs smoother. So maybe not afraid of work, just wants less extra stress?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    The only thing I have an issue with is why Fangio had to leave. Now, if it was his decision, basically saying "look, I don't like to keep changing roles", then ok, I think that's understandable, and let's part on mutually good terms. But he did an ok job coaching the LBs, don't think he necessarily deserved to be fired, but we don't know if that was the case or what.
    Yes we are curious about this.
    Ravens have a history of a stable org. With few exceptions, coaches/FO have left for promotions, situations like Brian's firing are the pretty rare exception, and even then significant staff was retained.
    Fangio definitely appears to be have gone against that grain, so we naturally are asking why.
    There is not a lot of scuttlebut, and wouldn't expect much. The Ravens have a strong track record of being tight-lipped about internal problems.
    (I heard nothing of Chester Taylor's bar troubles until well after he was a Viking).
    Another thread here went into areas of player unpopularity, and blown replay effectiveness. I think we have hit it there. Maybe not all but we sure should have a significant part of it.
    Looking at Hauschka for a minute as similar. It wasn't the miss at Minn that was the only thing, that was the 4th and final straw. I believe the missed lack of possession on the punt replay was the last straw, we have hints of things before that but we will never really know all that led up to it. Only thing I am watching to add to the equation is how long does Fangio stay on the market, and what does he eventually end up doing. That should color the picture a little better for me. Fangio has enough different things on his resume (experience) that he should qualify in numerous situations so I see length of unemployment as an interesting factor that could hint at something more.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Quote Originally Posted by Dont Know View Post
    If one has to guess, Jets.
    Guess I stand corrected, although it wasn't a terrible guess with there probably being a connection to where he was going.

His new gig

Blog Entries

Ok, Stanford.

With the Harb brothers connection that rules out any hint of secret moral turpitude, my final guess is now blown replay(s) and personality chafing with some current roster. Fangio should do well there. Sounds like he got along fine with John, so Jim shouldn't have any problems.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old