Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: Baltimore trip 2010!

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenGordon View Post
    Where's the best bar to watch road games. We'll be looking for somewhere to watch the Bengals game. I seem to (vaguely and blurrily) remember going to Mothers post Browns game last year for a bit. That any good for away games? Basically I want somewhere with a bit of atmosphere.
    Fells Point (Ben) is your man for that kind of advice.
    "We ain't stinking Redskins fans in this Town sonny!"

I want to go tot the Terps game but it really depends on what time KO is at. I will be driving from Ocean City to either College Park or Baltimore's Inner Harbour on Saturday 25th!

So who is up for picking me up from my hotel (Mariott at waterfront) on Sunday morning?

Sorry Irish, no help here. Mini van will have 6 or 7 people in the seats, coolers and free loaders in the aisles, ice luge in the back hatch and the back bumper throwing sparks at the gas tank.

Ah no worries, if no lift available I'll just get a taxi to the tailgating spot :)

Since I'll be eating and drinking before the game, let me know how much I need to cough up - will it be the same crowd as last year?

So, has anyone arranged for a spot on Fox News?

Quote Originally Posted by cb99 View Post
    Unfortunately we've had to bail on our Baltimore trip - flight prices seem to be much higher this year. Also couldn't get a schedule to work out for a multiple sport trip. (that didn't have me jumping from train to train!)

We've booked Denver instead - flights were strangely much cheaper (€500) and managed to score 4 lower level seats in the ticketmaster sale for Raiders @ Broncos.... Avalanche playing at home twice that weekend and CU buffs hosting Texas Tech sealed the deal... Icing on the cake would be if the Rockies made the NLCS!

So, fingers crossed that we'll all be attending the Superbash this year shouting on the Ravens...

Until the release of next years schedule!
    Jeez, had to do a fair amount of searching to find my last post…. Since my last foray onto this forum, we’ve been & done Denver (2010), all the home teams lost! (Yip, that was the blowout game 59-14 to the Raiders)

2011, unfortunately bypassed the Ravens again (out of sight did not mean out of mind – Lived every moment of every win, but also of Evans drop & cundiffs miss last year & Browns catch 2 years ago to set up the Steelers (spit) win). Didn’t really go into too much examination of the schedule as first thing that popped out was the Southwest Classic & Cowboys at home the same weekend. Couldn’t turn down a doubleheader at Jerryworld! Icing on the cake was game 1 of the ALDS falling on that Friday (If you count the Aggies as the home team, all home teams lost again). By the way, Jerryworld needs to be seen to be believed, outstanding venue. Atmosphere at the Southwest Classic was a couple of notches above the Cowboys game, could have been something to do with the games though, Southwest Classic was a humdinger (even with an 11am start!), ‘boys game was marred by the implosion (again) of Romo against the Lions.

Anyways, I digress… We need to get back to our winning ways… So we turned to Baltimore.. Flights booked (4 hardy souls making the trip this year) & schedule almost sorted. Standard operation for us, 5 nights, as many sporting events as possible.

Wed 26th Sept – Baltimore Hockey Classic
    Thurs 27th Sept – Browns @ Ravens (already circled July 20th in my diary for tickets)
    Fri 28th Sept – Red Sox @ O’s – hopefully they’ll start winning again,, if not fireworks night!!
    Sat 29th Sept – Need to figure out what is the easiest trip by public transportation (or cheapest by taxi!), Virginia Tech V’s Cincinnati in Fedex or San Jose @ Navy…. Any opinions? Renting a car not an option, come on we’re Irish, don’t intend on being sober for any extended period of time.
    Sun 30th Sept – Up the road to Philly for Giants @ Eagles

Flying into BWI on Wednesday afternoon & out of Newark on Monday evening. 4 nights Baltimore (Mount Vernon hotel booked, cheap as chips); 1 night Philly

Sat 29th Sept – Need to figure out what is the easiest trip by public transportation (or cheapest by taxi!), Virginia Tech V’s Cincinnati in Fedex or San Jose @ Navy…. Any opinions? Renting a car not an option, come on we’re Irish, don’t intend on being sober for any extended period of time.
    Annapolis vs. Landover (the armpit of the state) ? It's not even close!

There's plenty of cheap public trans either way. On a Saturday, your choices are more limited, however.

To Landover, I would guess that you take an Amtrak to New Carrollton, them WMATA Metro subway just one stop to Landover, the hike one mile (I know you're Irish, but you may want to consider carrying a gun for this last leg). I have no idea why Va Tech is playing Cincy in Maryland -- will 10,000 show up?

To Annapolis, I believe the best bet is now to take the Light Rail to Glen Burnie (Cromwell), then board a bus to downtown Annapolis. Hike back to stadium via Rowe Blvd. (Perhaps you can talk the bus driver to drop you off at the stadium on the way to its last stop downtown). Try the MTA bus trip planner.

The biggest differences are:

- the quality of the games ... Navy games are uniquely exciting, lots of pagentry, flyovers. The crowd is more passive, but sober. Get there early for the pre-game stuff. ACC games are more like drunken brawls. I have no idea what a Va Tech game played in Md will be like.

- Annapolis is a boating and tourist attraction by day, and a bar & nightclub attraction at night. It would take one all weekend to sample all the local bars. Landover, on the other hand, is host to the derelict Landover Mall, a mega-Church, some local subdivisions, and a lot of crime.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Nialls is coming over for the opener MNF against Bengals.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Annapolis vs. Landover (the armpit of the state) ? It's not even close!.
    Excellent, Thanks... As tempting as drunken brawls are, Annapolis it is!! Will have to shout for Navy in Dublin on Sept 1st now!!!

Went to Army Navy a few years ago,,, pregame was substantially better than the actual game!

Any idea on how much a taxi would be back to Baltimore from Annapolis if we stayed for a few pints after the game?

Quote Originally Posted by TOEMAN View Post
    Nialls is coming over for the opener MNF against Bengals.
    I trust that rascal will get in touch if he wants another shot at having crabcakes at a waterfront crabhouse in Annapolis!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any idea on how much a taxi would be back to Baltimore from Annapolis if we stayed for a few pints after the game?
    Based on BWI cabbies, it's going to be in the $60 - $100 range. Much cheaper would involve an exchange, such as taking Super Shuttle from downtown Annapolis hotel at $35 first passenger, $12 additional, to BWI airport, then $1.65 to downtown Baltimore via Light Rail.

Or if you get stuck, call me and I'll pick you up to let you sleep with the widow next door.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Or if you get stuck, call me and I'll pick you up to let you sleep with the widow next door.
    Intriguing!

There seems to be options to join open (paid tailgates) in both Philly (phillytailgate.com) & Annapolis (usna alum).. Can't seem to find any in Baltimore (done a fair amount of googling - All I can find is a non-alcoholic one in a fire station & one that was held in the sports museum for 1 game 3/4 years ago). Do any exist?

I was just kidding about the widow next door. Remember, this is the USA: She likely is already sleeping with Messrs Smith & Wesson by her side.

As to non-alcoholic tailgate parties ... huh? I have never heard of such blasphemy. While Baltimore is not Dublin, we do consume a lot of beer. A little factoid while I was growing up: Baltimore had more taverns per capita than any other major US city.

There is a fire hall somewhere near the stadium, but others will have to address if they sell beer (liquor licensing is a funny business).

There are several outdoor pubs set up for game-day food & drink & live music, under the I-395 viaduct along Ravens Walk , which is the pathway connecting the baseball and football stadiums.

ravens walk.jpg

Beers are at Ravens Walk much cheaper than those sold inside the stadium, but selection may be limited to Bud, Miller, and other watered down malt drinks.

There are several outdoor pubs set up for game-day food & drink & live music, under the I-395 viaduct along Ravens Walk , which is the pathway connecting the baseball and football stadiums.

ravens walk.jpg

Beers are at Ravens Walk much cheaper than those sold inside the stadium, but selection may be limited to Bud, Miller, and other watered down malt drinks.
    Ta,, went down to Ravens walk last time I was over (4 years ago) ... maybe it was the cold, but didn't seem to be much going on... certainly didn't look like the picture! Didn't realise there were pubs on the way.... Sounds like a plan!!