Stay or Go? Which current Ravens will be moving?

I put together a chart of all players listed on the Ravens most recent 53 man roster and I've projected the likelihood of their return. You can find it here

Would be interested in your thoughts and what Raven may make a surprise exit and how it might happen...

Have a great day!

Re: Stay or Go? Which current Ravens will be moving?

Why was Nakamura missing from the list?

Why was Nakamura missing from the list?
    He's in there at the bottom

Actually, I had him originally among the 53 man roster and took him out because he was on IR. I forgot to plug him back in. Thanks for the heads up.

Blog Entries

good work, this was tough to go through, and obviously some guys chances will increase when the dust settles from FA and Trade. I misread the percentage and notes on Gooden as being for Ellerbe and was about to mouth off saying Ellerbe is 100% staying. Re-read and agree completely on Gooden, he'll be back, but Ellerbe is probably the favorite to start now. Gooden needs to show something to convince us he can be Ray's eventual replacement, otherwise we're back to looking in the draft. Some of the DL will likely be retained, a lot you have as 50 or below shots. I think Dwan should be retained, given his play at the end of the season.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I love this kind of stuff, but right now you need to expand the list and percenatges to the traininhg camp 80 man roster. A lot of trades and moves can be made to get from 80-53 and most of these guys will at least make it to camp. Why let any RFA just walk or cut any bubble vet before the end of camp?

The Ravens web site has 65 guys that are under contracted or RFAs and I expect most of them to at least be tendered and in training camp.

1. Ayanbadejo, Brendon 75%

2. Birk, Matt 95%

3. Carr, Chris 75%

4. Cousins, Oniel 70%

5. Divens, Lamar 20%

6. Drew, Davon 35%

7. Ellerbe, Dannell 99%

8. Fitzhugh, Keith 5%

9. Flacco, Joe 99.8%

10. Foxworth, Domonique 99%

11. Gerard, K.J. 20

12. Gooden, Tavares 90

13. Gregg, Kelly 85

14. Grubbs, Ben 99

15. Hale, David 55

16. Harper, Justin 30

17. Heap, Todd 95

18. Johnson, Jarret 99

19. Katula, Matt 95

20. Kruger, Paul 99

21. Lawrence, Matt 10

22. Lewis, Ray 99

23. Mattison, Bryan 5

24. McClain, Jameel 20

25. McGahee, Willis 70

26. McKinney, Brandon 75

27. Nakamura, Haruki 85

28. Ngata, Haloti 100

29. Oher, Michael 100

30. Parmele, Jalen 45

31. Paschal, Marcus 10

32. Phillips, Jason 55

33. Price, Maurice 20

34. Pryce, Trevor 85

35. Reed, Ed 85

36. Reitz, Joe 10

37. Rice, Ray 100

38. Riley, Eron 15

39. Rodgers, Stefan 5

40. Rolle, Samari 1

41. Smith, Marcus 55

42. Suggs, Terrell 99

43. Talavou, Kelly 75

44. VanDeSteeg, William 5

45. Webb, Lardarius 90 (10% PUP list)

46. Williams, Cary 45

47. Zbikowski, Tom 90

RFAs

48. Barnes, Antwan 75

49. Beck, John 55

50. Burgess, Prescott 55

51. Chester, Chris 95

52. Clayton, Mark 90

53. Cundiff, Billy 75

54. Gaither, Jared 99

55. Jones, Edgar 75

56. Koch, Sam 99

57. Landry, Dawan 99

58. McClain, Le'Ron 99

59. Moll, Tony 45

60. Smith, Troy 75

61. Sypniewski, Quinn 25

62. Terry, Adam 40

63. Washington, Fabian 80

64. Williams, Demetrius 50

65. Yanda, Marshal 99

Then there are a lot of UFAs Most of them are most likley gone.

Mason, Derrick 40
    Edwards, Dwan 25
    Bannan, Justin 25
    Washington, Kelley 20
    Walker, Frank 20
    Tyree, David 15

Ivy, Corey 5

Smith, L.J. 5

There is still plenty of room on the 80 man for draft picks and FAs, but not a lot of room on the projected 53 for day 2 guys and bubble types.

This should be a very busy off season and interesting all the way through.

:T2:

Blog Entries

One concern for Chester is Shanahan and the OL that has to be rebuilt down there.
    They already signed Kory Lichtensteiger, a backup C/G from Shanahan's Denver days. They have a lot of rebuilding to do on that line, and have also hired Bobby Turner as running backs coach. Turner spent the last 15 seasons as RB coach with the Broncos, including 14 years under Shanahan. Since Turner arrived in 1995, Denver has produced the most yards rushing in the league.
    That tells me that an athletic interior lineman's value just went up, and depending on what they find/assemble.... Chester could be given a nice offer, especially if they return to zone/cut blocking.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    One concern for Chester is Shanahan and the OL that has to be rebuilt down there.
    They already signed Kory Lichtensteiger, a backup C/G from Shanahan's Denver days. They have a lot of rebuilding to do on that line, and have also hired Bobby Turner as running backs coach. Turner spent the last 15 seasons as RB coach with the Broncos, including 14 years under Shanahan. Since Turner arrived in 1995, Denver has produced the most yards rushing in the league.
    That tells me that an athletic interior lineman's value just went up, and depending on what they find/assemble.... Chester could be given a nice offer, especially if they return to zone/cut blocking.
    He should get a 2nd round tender. Depending on how bad another team wants him I can see letting him go or matching if he is only offered low end starter money. You can not have enough guys like Chester on the team, but I am not sure how much the ravens would spend to keep him and could be pretty happy letting him go and picking up another 2nd round pick.

:T2:

Good list. I agree with the #'s on the stay/go %'s. I was thinking about the depth at inside LB with Ray, Ellerby, McClain, Burgess, Ayanbadejo, Phillips, and Gooden. With Reed's future in doubt, who thinks that there is a chance that Gooden could be tried out a safety b/c of his speed? Maybe not to start, but for depth maybe like how they got Edgar Jones to stay. I'm just saying that he doesn't seem all that physical, but can run with WR's and TE's so why not see what he can do in the secondary. I think we can probably see that he may not be Ray's heir apparent since Ellerbe probably has manhandled his way into that spot. I mean he can't be any worse in coverage than Roy Williams can he? I think on a team like this he can easily lose a spot if he cannot adapt as what are the odds that another free agent comes in an wows us. With the Ravens abilty to find talent especially LB's, I feel that there is a pretty good chance. With Harbaugh's multitasking team concept I feel that Gooden better try new things real quick.

Blog Entries

I don't have an issue with Gooden experimenting at SS...I was initially going to point to size as a problem, but after comparing Gooden (6'1", 235) to Landry (6'0" 220), it's not all that off...It's really about mentality, speed, and instincts. If Gooden really commits to learning it, it could be a beneficial move.

That said, I'm not sure if it's the best career decision for him...At S, we do have some nice depth already with Zbikowski and Nakamura. We got to see a good amount of Zbi filling in for Ed this year...We would've got a good chance to see Nakamura filling in for Landry, except for that blasted injury. So Gooden could try his hand there, but it would likely take him a good year or two to really make the transition, and by then, one or both of those guys might make their mark on the team enough to stay ahead of Gooden. And Gooden is actually older than both Zbi and Nakamura, so he can't win from an age perspective.

I think the best thing for him is to work hard on his physicality against the run, and try to position himself to be Ray's replacement. He has the speed to be a sideline to sideline player, just needs to be stronger playing the run. Gooden and Ellerbe as a ILB tandem would be a very nice pairing for the future. And we still have Jason Phillips we keep forgetting about too.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

I'm with you on that. I just think that since we probably don't run alot of 3-4 anymore, Gooden's playing time could become situational and with our ability to be stacked at LB every year he should explore some other avenues. That being said, if he kills it in the offseason and puts like ten pounds of muscle without the athletic sacrifice he can easily become what we thought he would be. Personally I like having this problem on our team.

I also think that Zibbie is fundamentally strong at S and could become a starter for us possibly (need to see a whole season). Also I think that Kruger will come in next year ready to go with a whole NFL offseason to get bigger and stronger. I like our chances to be even more stacked on defense than last year depth wise and DCo Mattison looks like he knows what he is doing.

Blog Entries

We're actually running 3-4 a lot more than we run 4-3...Unless you consider Suggs a true DE (which he's really not), we have 4 LBs on the field on most plays (Suggs, JJ, Ray, Ellerbe), with our down lineman being Pryce/Edwards, Gregg, and Ngata. To really transition to a 4-3, we need different DL, so it'll take a few years to have the DL personell to effectively run that, since our DL right now is built more to occupy blockers to allow our LBs to get open. In the 4-3, our DL needs to be able to be the primary pass rushers.

Yeah I was counting Suggs at DE since he had his hand in the dirt alot this year, but I understand what you mean. Our inability to pass rush with just the front four could have merged the two alignments later in the year.