Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Boldin not the answer for WR woes...then who?

No one would argue with the notion that the Ravens must seriously upgrade their passing game. To do that it will require better personnel at wide receiver. But for those clamoring for Anquan Boldin, you better think again.

More here

What receiver(s) would solve those woes?

Re: Boldin not the answer for WR woes...then who?

I'm back and forth on this. It's not exactly fair to put Boldin up against Mason over the last few years without at least mentioning that Boldin's equaled Mason's numbers over 27 games to Mason's 32. Up until this year, Boldin has produced the highest yards per game of any of the receivers taken over the last ... I don't remember. I did the research and it was over a five or seven year stretch, can't remember and too lazy to look it up. Yes, he has Fitz on the other side of him, but if you look at his production per games without Fitz and with Fitz, there's really no drop-off. He's also done it with Blake, McCown and Leinart as the primary passers, so it's not just Warner that makes him better.

Now, all of that made a very compelling case coming into the 2009 season. But this past season has given me pause, because I tend to agree with Tony at this point. Boldin isn't likely the answer.

Boldin's YPG are the second lowest of his career. His lowest was Y2 with McCown at QB. His TD/G are the third lowest. And those numbers are significantly lower than his career numbers prior to this season. His 68 YPG, while still good, is down over 15% from his 81 avg; and his 0.27 TD/G are staggeringly lower than his 0.50 TD/G avg.

Boldin seems to be showing signs of aging. He's approaching 30 and his body has taken significant wear-and-tear. While I assume he'll be productive for another five years or maybe more, I don't know that he'll ever produce at an 80 yard per game level again over any meaningful stretch of time.

Could he be a decent #1 for us? Yeah, he certainly could be one. Would he likely be a big upgrade over Mason? No, probably not.

Boldin's a guy I'd be happy to bring in if we could ship a 3rd rounder to the Cards and pay him $5MM - $6MM a year to play ball for us for four or five years. In such a case, I'd let Clayton walk in FA and work hard to bring Mason back, while drafting a young receiver to hopefully take Mason's place in the next couple years. A top two of Boldin/Mason would be a solid combo (though still lacking the deep threat, although Carson Palmer works pretty well without one).

But the Cards will probably want a 2nd rounder, and/or Boldin may hold out for the $9MM/year he was hoping to get this off-season. In such a case, I would definitely not want him.

And I also agree that he's not going to be a dominating receiver for us (or anyone for that matter). He could work here, but in order to be give us more than what Mason has to this point, we would need more from the #2 position, which would require either keeping Mason, or another upgrade. Boldin wouldn't have the instant impact on us that a Brandon Marshall or Vince Jackson would have.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    What receiver(s) would solve those woes?
    FWIW Tony, not sure that there's just one. If we hold Mason, then yes, just one. If Mason retires or goes elsewhere, while we can upgrade with one big name, it's not going to solve the position.

I think my prefered method is one off the market, re-sign Mason, and draft one.

The market guys I'd go after, in order of preference:
    - Vince Jackson
    - Brandon Marshall
    - Dwayne Bowe
    - Anquan Boldin
    - Braylon Edwards

No one else out there can even move the needle a little bit. Braylon probably can't, either.

- C -

www.oblongspheroid.com

Interesting his and Mason's stats are so similar. Seems he's just a bigger possession guy who benefits from having the D's #2 or #3 corner on him.

My gut tells me Oz isn't going to be able to land a big name WR in free agency. Mostly because of the crazy CBA rules and the Ravens finishing in the top 8.

Oz will have to do it through the draft.

I dont want Clayton back, I believe Mason retires. So bring back Kelley, DWill, a rookie WR and 1 or 2 smaller names from free agency. IMO that is most likely to happen.

Unless Oz gives up that first rounder for Marshall.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    I'm back and forth on this. It's not exactly fair to put Boldin up against Mason over the last few years without at least mentioning that Boldin's equaled Mason's numbers over 27 games to Mason's 32. Up until this year, Boldin has produced the highest yards per game of any of the receivers taken over the last ... I don't remember. I did the research and it was over a five or seven year stretch, can't remember and too lazy to look it up. Yes, he has Fitz on the other side of him, but if you look at his production per games without Fitz and with Fitz, there's really no drop-off. He's also done it with Blake, McCown and Leinart as the primary passers, so it's not just Warner that makes him better.

Now, all of that made a very compelling case coming into the 2009 season. But this past season has given me pause, because I tend to agree with Tony at this point. Boldin isn't likely the answer.

Boldin's YPG are the second lowest of his career. His lowest was Y2 with McCown at QB. His TD/G are the third lowest. And those numbers are significantly lower than his career numbers prior to this season. His 68 YPG, while still good, is down over 15% from his 81 avg; and his 0.27 TD/G are staggeringly lower than his 0.50 TD/G avg.

Boldin seems to be showing signs of aging. He's approaching 30 and his body has taken significant wear-and-tear. While I assume he'll be productive for another five years or maybe more, I don't know that he'll ever produce at an 80 yard per game level again over any meaningful stretch of time.

Could he be a decent #1 for us? Yeah, he certainly could be one. Would he likely be a big upgrade over Mason? No, probably not.

Boldin's a guy I'd be happy to bring in if we could ship a 3rd rounder to the Cards and pay him $5MM - $6MM a year to play ball for us for four or five years. In such a case, I'd let Clayton walk in FA and work hard to bring Mason back, while drafting a young receiver to hopefully take Mason's place in the next couple years. A top two of Boldin/Mason would be a solid combo (though still lacking the deep threat, although Carson Palmer works pretty well without one).

But the Cards will probably want a 2nd rounder, and/or Boldin may hold out for the $9MM/year he was hoping to get this off-season. In such a case, I would definitely not want him.

And I also agree that he's not going to be a dominating receiver for us (or anyone for that matter). He could work here, but in order to be give us more than what Mason has to this point, we would need more from the #2 position, which would require either keeping Mason, or another upgrade. Boldin wouldn't have the instant impact on us that a Brandon Marshall or Vince Jackson would have.

- C -
    I like idea of Boldin for a 3rd and pairing him with Mason, i would be ok with paying him 5 mil a year but no more then that. We would def. have to get a guy that can stretch the field having those 2 as your 1 and 2. I just look at T.O. being available w/o giving up picks and a more reasonable salary and think we need to take a look. Obviously there are risk with taking him but i think its def, injury risks with Boldin. I think your getting the same player as Boldin thats a faster but doesnt have quite the hands, nonetheless he's a playmaker. Pair him with Mason if he stays, keep all your picks and i still take 2 WR's in the first few rounds.

I think the only way to get a great Wr at a good price is to draft one and have them turn out to be a lot better than Clayton. If we had drafted Vincent Jackson and Sidney Rice instead, we would not be having this conversation.

There is still a slight possibility that one of the P squad guys will become a Colston like beast with better deep ball placement by the QB. Last year in camp the best looking Wr in terms of getting open was Harper. Riley has the best size speed combo on the roster. Smith also looked the part at 6-2, 220.

This looks like a great draft to get a day 1 and 2 prospect at WR and bring back one or two of the FAs like Clayton/ Williams/ Washington if they are on the cheap.

WR is obvious, but I still think the bigger need is a pass rusher that can draw and beat a double team and a TE that can stretch the seems.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    There is still a slight possibility that one of the P squad guys will become a Colston like beast with better deep ball placement by the QB.
    The chances of that happening are slim to none. Colston is a very rare expection.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I think the only way to get a great Wr at a good price is to draft one and have them turn out to be a lot better than Clayton. If we had drafted Vincent Jackson and Sidney Rice instead, we would not be having this conversation.

There is still a slight possibility that one of the P squad guys will become a Colston like beast with better deep ball placement by the QB. Last year in camp the best looking Wr in terms of getting open was Harper. Riley has the best size speed combo on the roster. Smith also looked the part at 6-2, 220.

This looks like a great draft to get a day 1 and 2 prospect at WR and bring back one or two of the FAs like Clayton/ Williams/ Washington if they are on the cheap.

WR is obvious, but I still think the bigger need is a pass rusher that can draw and beat a double team and a TE that can stretch the seems.
    I agree, people arent seeing the huge need on the down line, we have to rush the passer better, if we dont i dont care who we get at WR we arent gonna win a super bowl. I like our ability in this draft to get a couple WR's and a TE. I also like the upside of the 2 ps guys, we could have a young talented core very soon.

Boldin was great before Fitzgerald was ever in Arizona, when he had garbage at QB and there was nobody else in town to take coverage off him. Yes, the injuries are very much a concern, but... the problem is, there are no perfect receivers out there to pluck off a tree (unless you draft one yourself). The Ravens have reached a point where I think they have to roll the dice on one of these guys and hope they win.
    ERIG20, your local draftnik

Signature currently under construction

10. Re: Boldin not the answer for WR woes...then who?

Boldin is a very good WR, but I'm just not sure he fits in here. His speed and physicality are better suited opposite a speedster that can stretch the defense (think Hines Ward - Santonio Holmes). We don't have that other guy, which would make him decent here, but not worth a 1st rounder and 9M/year.

The Ravens need a big target that demands double coverage AND can block. Vincent Jackson and Brandon Marshall are the best two fits, and it's really not even close. I would give up our first rounder for either of them in a heartbeat.

With that in mind, I don't know if those guys will be available, or if Ozzie will break the bank even if they are. I really really hope something happens on this front, but at this point I am expecting a draft pick to patch the hole.

I have discussed the WR's that should be viable first day picks in a few other threads, and I think D. Thomas is our best option by a pretty good margin. Would I take him over Brandon Marshall? Hell no. With costs and future control in mind, would Ozzie take him over Marshall? Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I just look at T.O. being available w/o giving up picks and a more reasonable salary and think we need to take a look. Obviously there are risk with taking him but i think its def, injury risks with Boldin. I think your getting the same player as Boldin thats a faster but doesnt have quite the hands, nonetheless he's a playmaker. Pair him with Mason if he stays, keep all your picks and i still take 2 WR's in the first few rounds.
    TO is gonna be 37 next year, and his production dropped off a cliff this year. Yeah, I know that he wasn't QB'd by Garcia/McNabb/Romo, but still. He's at an age where productivity is minimal, and given his history and what most Baltimoreans think of him, is he really an acceptable answer?

I wouldn't touch him with a 20 foot pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    My gut tells me Oz isn't going to be able to land a big name WR in free agency. Mostly because of the crazy CBA rules and the Ravens finishing in the top 8.

Oz will have to do it through the draft.
    I'm not buying this yet. All four of our top receivers are free agents. We aren't retaining all of them and trying to get another receiver. DWill is the only guy who might not get picked up by another team in free agency. The only question is if we re-sign all three of the younger guys and Mason retires, does it mean we can't sign someone else? I dunno, I didn't think that was the case but it might be.

Very low chance we don't lose one of our receivers to free agency. I don't see why we couldn't upgrade via FA or trade.

- C -

www.oblongspheroid.com

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    Boldin is a very good WR, but I'm just not sure he fits in here. His speed and physicality are better suited opposite a speedster that can stretch the defense (think Hines Ward - Santonio Holmes). We don't have that other guy, which would make him decent here, but not worth a 1st rounder and 9M/year.

The Ravens need a big target that demands double coverage AND can block. Vincent Jackson and Brandon Marshall are the best two fits, and it's really not even close. I would give up our first rounder for either of them in a heartbeat.

With that in mind, I don't know if those guys will be available, or if Ozzie will break the bank even if they are. I really really hope something happens on this front, but at this point I am expecting a draft pick to patch the hole.

I have discussed the WR's that should be viable first day picks in a few other threads, and I think D. Thomas is our best option by a pretty good margin. Would I take him over Brandon Marshall? Hell no. With costs and future control in mind, would Ozzie take him over Marshall? Maybe.
    I agree, financials play in. I do think that draft picks are the most likely route to get our #1 WR of the future and probably another around the 3rd or 4th rd. Hopefully Ozzie gets a mid level free agent WR as well. I know they'll get someone i just hope they are as aggressive as im hoping.