Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Two pivotal moments and additional thoughts

I do not think Indy is a bad matchup for us, the Ravens have just played like crap in the last 3 big games against them, making way too many self inflicted wounds.

They are great at passing and rushing the passer, but are not one of the most complete or dominant teams in the NFL. They just have had our number for one some reason I am just going to call luck or a reverse curse. They make a lot of plays, but like Deirdorff said, every time the ball bounces, it bounces right to them. Every time we make a play, something happens to wipe it out.

:T2:

I do not think Indy is a bad matchup for us, the Ravens have just played like crap in the last 3 big games against them, making way too many self inflicted wounds.
    And you don't think the mismatch has anything to do with that?

C'mon Man!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo Rizon View Post

C'mon Man!
    Of course not! Why on earth would skill have anything to do with the outcome of games when clearly it's all about the Ravens just happening to have bad games.

The Colts aren't a good football team, they're just really really really lucky against everyone else.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

C'mon Man!
    The turnovers that happen in the Indy games do not seem as forced as some of the ones vs the steelers.

They did not beat us down the way we did to the pats. The matchups are not that bad at all, they are just much moe clutch, and Joe has a long way to go before he is a passer on the level of Manning, Brady, Rivers or Brett.

:T2:

Angry Re: Two pivotal moments and additional thoughts

Some thoughts on the game last night. I agree w/ Galen and Mojo about the pivotal moments from last night...no question.

1. McClain dropping a well thrown pass by Flacco that likely would have been a TD on the first drive. Instead we settle for 3. Again, how many times did we see this team NOT convert in the redzone? And big players make big plays in big games and McClain choked.

2. I didn't like the game plan by Mattison. We rushed 3 or 4 FAR too often. How many times do you need to see Manning pick your team and the rest of the league apart to know you MUST get pressure on this guy?

3. I am SO sick of Cam Cameron calling games like a sissy. The offense was a disgrace last night and lost the game for us...AGAIN. I am open to a new OC next year. Cameron is FAR too conservative and when behind 20-3 he was still calling dive plays to Rice. C'mon man.

4. Gaither and Foxworth got taken to school ALL night. I am not saying to get rid of these guys, but they did not show up in the big game.

5. Joe Flacco has a long way to go to be a good QB. I think most Ravens fans on the board over-rate him. More often than not this year Flacco has been a liability compared to an asset. He is not a QB that goes out and wins games for the team...yet. He doesn't work the pocket. He doesn't go thru his projections...he locks on 1 WR and rarely scans both sides of the field.
    I think in time he will be that QB we can rely on and that will come sooner if we get him more weapons.

6. Speaking of weapons...in order of what we need IMO:
    1. A big time WR that can stretch the field and be a threat in the redzone. A guy like that can make the entire offense better. Ozzie..c'mon man.

2. A stud DE that can get to the QB. Potential free agents include Aaron Kampman, Kyle Vanden Bosch and Julius Peppers.

3. A shut down CB. Foxworth is a #2 CB at best...we need a #1 guy.

4. A TE. Todd Heap had a decent year, but too often he disappears for long stretches during many games.

We are on the right track, but stuck in 3rd gear. Next year its time to make some changes, get in 5th gear and become a legit contender for the SuperBowl.

FM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fanman View Post
    2. I didn't like the game plan by Mattison. We rushed 3 or 4 FAR too often. How many times do you need to see Manning pick your team and the rest of the league apart to know you MUST get pressure on this guy?
    I think the gameplan was pretty sound really. If they'd blitzed more often then you'd have seen Manning have a field day. Holding him to what they did was a pretty good outcome. If you blitz and don't give your secondary enough help (which I assume they'd need if Foxworth was as bad as you say) he'll just pop you over the top. They limited him as best they could. What they needed was a complimentary performance from the offense that could grind the drives out and give some rest to the D, that didn't happen and as the game wore on guys were getting tired.

4. Gaither and Foxworth got taken to school ALL night. I am not saying to get rid of these guys, but they did not show up in the big game.
    Gaither had a bad game, Foxworth I'm less sure of he had some bad plays but overall he didn't have a terrible game.

5. Joe Flacco has a long way to go to be a good QB. I think most Ravens fans on the board over-rate him. More often than not this year Flacco has been a liability compared to an asset. He is not a QB that goes out and wins games for the team...yet. He doesn't work the pocket. He doesn't go thru his projections...he locks on 1 WR and rarely scans both sides of the field.
    I think the injuries he's taken this year and some of the bad play at receiver has resulted in a loss of confidence in the people around him and it's slowed his decision making. But a lot of the time he's just not seeing anyone open.

2. A stud DE that can get to the QB. Potential free agents include Aaron Kampman, Kyle Vanden Bosch and Julius Peppers.
    As far as I'm aware those guys are 4-3 ends and probably too light for 3-4 End. We need a 3-4 end because Pryce is looking a bit up and down in games TBH.

4. A TE. Todd Heap had a decent year, but too often he disappears for long stretches during many games.
    He's been doing a lot of blocking this year, and been doing it well. When he gets out in routes and Joe seems him open he still plays the ball well. We need depth for sure, probably someone to groom or compete with him. I just don't think it's fair to blame Todd for a year in which he's done what he's been asked to do and largely done everything well.
    Last edited by Lee Van Cleef; 01-17-2010 at 09:00 PM.

I agree with TL that the Ravens are more of a mismatch against the Colts defense. This blog is a reminder of that: http://ravens24x7.blogspot.com/2010/...s-to-beat.html
    That blog from Tony is nightmare fuel.

Since the loss in '04 while Manning was chasing 48 TDs, I've said our failings were more on our offense.

You pressure Manning not just by hitting him, or making him punt, but also by showing him a deficit on the scoreboard. That is when he will occasionally press and make mistakes.

(Other times he will lead his team back from down 18 to beat Belichek's Patriots and move on to the Superbowl.)

Our defense has typically been able to give Manning fits for a time. However, there is no consequence because the Colts are usually still in the lead at the time. Peyton stays in control, and eventually builds a lead.

What I never realized was just how inept we truly were over the stretch. Not a single meaningful touchdown. I feel sick.