Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is david carr worth bringing to Baltimore?

I've been mumbling about this possibility for a few weeks, but wanted to see what other people thought given that the possibility of Carr being traded seems fairly certain according to this article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...arr/index.html

I'm sure everyone's heard of his flaws here and there, but I think coming in here and being co-#2 with Boller might be a good thing for him. I mean, the poor guy has been sacked 249 times while going 23-53. That's not all on him, there hasn't been a decent O-line in houston and has there really been a running game outside Ron Dayne flukishly pounding 2 teams this year?

I just like the idea of having a guy who has been around for a bit that has a lot of potential and let him sit behind Mac9 for a year with Boller and then let the two of them go at it to determine who may be the starter in 08 or maybe even letting Boller go at the end of 08 with Mac9 still starting and Carr starts in 09.

Taking any and all offers and the Texans are a team in trouble with only 1 first round pick in day 1. Might it be worth trading some equivalent of a 4th rounder to them to get Carr? I'm not thinking we should give up a 1st day pick by any means.

Thoughts?

Re: Is david carr worth bringing to Baltimore?

IMO, the next starting QB here in Baltimore should be Boller or a fresh start.

I'm not sure what having Carr here at the same time as Boller and McNair would accomplish, besides waste more of our precious cap on a position that is locked up for at least next year.

Thats just another reason I dont see the Ravens taking a QB on the 1st day.

Does Houston trade Carr? I dont know what team is really looking for a QB like that, and I'm not sure why the Ravens would be. I'm not sure who replaces Carr there yet, unless its Jeff Garcia or something.

All in all, I think the QB position is something the Ravens stand pat on in '07/08, and let the chips fall where they may.

At best you see a late rounder drafted, but we already have Olson.

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post
    1. Might it be worth trading some equivalent of a 4th rounder to them to get Carr? I'm not thinking we should give up a 1st day pick by any means.

Thoughts?
    I haven't watched the Texans much since, um, ever. So all I know is what I read, which is that the poor guy gets knocked down and gets up so often you'd think he was the bad guy in a horror movie.

But I have no problem trading a 4th rounder to get a quality young 2d/3d string quarterback, if that's what he is.

I'll put my faith in the FO on that one, is my short answer.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

that'd be incredibly stupid.

I would look into a deal to bring Carr here. Maybe a AD for Carr/draft pick deal, or a Boller for Carr deal? David Carr needs a change of scenery and would probably do well here. If Carr were to come here, Boller would then be traded or cut. No sense in having both Carr and Boller as backups to McNair. The Boller ship has sailed here in Baltimore and he needs a fresh start as much as Carr.

I will say that, in my opinion, Carr still has a future as a NFL starter while Boller has a future as a backup in the NFL.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Carr is someone I can see blooming into a great QB when put in a stable situation. He has a great attitude, all the physical skills, poise, and is durable. He was the consensus 1st overall pick for a reason, he can be a true franchise guy.

If Carr was comfortable with sitting on the bench for a year or two, gathering himself, learning from Mcnair, he could become for us a guy that is only a shade worse than Palmer and better than Ben.

If he is willing to sit and rehabilitate his career and the Texans don't ask too much in a trade I would pull the trigger on this.

I read the Texans are looking for another pass rusher I wonder if we could send them a franchised AD (contingent upon Houston and AD working out a long term deal) and Kyle Boller for Carr. Boller and Plummer (who Kubiak wants) could then fight for the job.

I would take David Carr in a heartbeat. Word is that Gary Kubiak wants to bring in Jake Plummer to start for the Texans, and let go of David Carr. If a 3 team trade is possible, I'd love to do it.

Carr has the intangibles you look for and has the physical tools. He's been plagued with a horrible situation; he started on an expansion team from day 1 and has had one of the worst offensive lines in football. Receivers have been scarce, and Domanick Davis has been the only guy in Houston that has been able to run the ball--that doesn't say much.

Carr has a bad rep because the Texans are horrible, and people see his barely mediocre numbers. Give him a fresh start on a good team, and I would bet that he would look like a MUCH better player.

He's young and his best years are ahead of him.

Although, I also think that Kyle has a good chance of being a quality starting NFL QB, so take my comments with a grain of salt!!

again...that is incredibly stupid.

There is no chacne that Carr comes in and performs better than Boller did in relief, so what is the point.

I find it amusing that people forget how damn effective Boller has been in the last several games that he has started or played most of (I'm counting Cleveland and Carolina this season).

In his last 9 games (starts/significant action, as stated above) Boller has thrown, on average, for 220 yards per game. He has completed 57.7% of his passes in this time frame.

And here's the best stat: 16 TDs to 10 INTs in that window. In his last 9 games Boller threw 16 TDs...think about that...that's how many McNair threw in 14 games this year. Furthermore, to the point of the original post, David Carr played in all 16 games last season and only threw 11 TDs. In fact, he has never throw MORE than 16 TDs in a given season.

There is no chacne that Carr comes in and performs better than Boller did in relief, so what is the point.
    You can't say that definitively because it is unproven (and more people than just me think Carr is better). But I think you are also overlooking that fact that a large number of Ravens fans hate Kyle Boller (the player, not the person). Even if Kyle QB'ed the team to the Superbowl playing well all season and then had a Grossman like effort in the big game there would be a near riot of people trying to get rid of him.

The fans are done with Kyle and a fresh face is needed, even if he ends up performing no better.

David Carr played in all 16 games last season and only threw 11 TDs. In fact, he has never throw MORE than 16 TDs in a given season.
    Carr's numbers in Houston have been pretty bad, no doubt. However he generally plays better than his numbers whenever I have seen him. Also that team has been devoid of talent since they came into the league. Many solid QBs would struggle to put up great numbers with the players Carr has worked with.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post

I find it amusing that people forget how damn effective Boller has been in the last several games that he has started or played most of (I'm counting Cleveland and Carolina this season).

. . .

And here's the best stat: 16 TDs to 10 INTs in that window. In his last 9 games Boller threw 16 TDs...think about that...that's how many McNair threw in 14 games this year. Furthermore, to the point of the original post, David Carr played in all 16 games last season and only threw 11 TDs. In fact, he has never throw MORE than 16 TDs in a given season.

I'm glad someone else is seeing this. Carr is by far overrated. Was the consensus #1 overall pick because it was a QB thin draft.

He's basically a Kyle Boller that the national media has decided to like, while Boller has been disliked.

I will say that, in my opinion, Carr still has a future as a NFL starter while Boller has a future as a backup in the NFL.

Thats beyond retarded. Carr has Andre Johnson and weapons there and can't get them the ball. A lot of his sacks are o-line, but a lot are on him also.

It sounds like you've been listening to ESPN too much on this one. The national pundits give Carr the benefit of the doubt no matter how putrid he plays. Boller can put up 16 TDs in 9 games and is a career backup . . . Carr puts up 11 a season and is destined to be a great QB

These self fulfilling prophecies kill me. Please dont let the media do the thinking for you. They are the people who predecide that the Panther are the sexy pick every year, and every year forget about the patriots until late season/playoff time.

If anything, I think Carr's time in the NFL is more limited that Boller's, backup or starter. I think Boller has already shown that he has explosiveness and can put up points. Carr really hasn't yet.

Nice to hear everyone's thoughts. I had mulled it over mainly because I don't see the team in position to draft a top flight QB prospect in the next 2-3 years which is really when we need to get the new one in. So giving someone a fresh start was an option, along with seeing how Boller does (honestly, I'd be all for giving the kid another chance).

Of course, we might hit a QB later on in the draft, so we'll see.

Thanks again for the comments, nice to hear what other people think about it.

Maintain the status quo this year, we'll be ok. Bring in Colt Brennan for 2008 and let he and Kyle duke it out. If McNair is still around, he can tutor them both.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM