OT-PDA/Smartphone advice - I'm getting one to use at Games and for work

Hello all,

I am going to be at M&T watching the Ravens and keeping track of scores on a Motorola Q Phone. I thought I'd query our highly intelligent and tech savvy fans as to what they thought of their devices. I can still return the Q for a Treo 700p or 700w.

I'm psyched to browse NFL.COM->Scores this weekend while drinking beer and watch the Ravens brutalize the Raiders this weekend. If I can avoid getting Nacho Cheese on the phone or swilling beer on it I think I'll be in good shape.

Any advice will be appriated.
    -"You are about to enter a world of pain."

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: OT-PDA/Smartphone advice - I'm getting one to use at Games and for work

I listen to the game on headphones to get out of town scores and updates to what is going on injury wise, etc. That's distracting enough for me.

I'll confess one of my worries about getting one of these is the fear of being constantly distracted. The internet is bad enough as it is for a new junky such as myself. NFL.COM compiles nice player stats so you can watch your fantasy players and also keep track of the stats of your own guys.

I'll confess that using the thing at football games is one of the things I'm most excited about. Having added Fantasy Football to my other addictions, It'll be nice to stay on top of that even if I'm stuck in some server room doing maintenance on a Sunday with no internet access.
    -"You are about to enter a world of pain."

Blog Entries

I have a Blackberry. No complaints. It has a real web browser not a mobile one. Blackberry mail is pushed instantly to you from up to 10 accounts and it has all the usual PDA suff like notepad, calendars, etc.

Relatively cheap. $100, TMobile.
    Admin Steve
    Screwing up Ravens message boards since 1999.

I have a Sprint Treo 650 running Palm OS5. It does some things well, some not so well. If I want to stream internet radio it has to come from shoutcast and I need to use a Palmapp called ptunes. The browser (Blazer) is kinda cheesy, as is the version of Realplayer. I use LinkStart to move some apps to my SD card, but they don't always work.

FileZ hangs the unit when I try to enumerate files on the SD card.

Versamail works well as does DocsToGo. The unit does sync well with Outlook.

I heard a rumor the Sprint was coming out with a ROM flash so you could run Windows Mobile on a 650, but haven't been able to confirm it. Not sure how well Windows Mobile runs on the 700.

Not sure if that helps, but there ya go!!

I havent heard the greatest reviews about the Q,and the Treo's price just dropped about $200 that is what Im going with.

I just sold a Verizon pocket PC. I absolutely hated the thing. They suck for surfing the web and they are bulky as hell. I went through two phones in 3 months because the touch screen lost sensitivity. It was also a royal pain in the ass to use as a cell phone. I got more than i paid for it on e-bay, but I had to pay full retail for my new LG Chocolate phone because I'm under a newly renewed contract.