Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Game Plan for Indy?

Do we go with the same super successful plan we used against the Pats? Do you think it will work as well against Indy?

2. Re: Game Plan for Indy?

The game won't start out like the game against the Pats did, so we definitely will not run the ball as much as we did last week. With that said, we will stay committed to the run in this game against the NFL's 24th-ranked run defense.

Flacco will need to make some key completions like last week, but it is important to stay out of obvious passing situation on third downs. Freeney and Mathis will tear us up if they know they can just go after Joe, so we either need to keep them honest with screens, run the ball right at them, chip them in passing situations, or just not be in third-and-longs.

On defense, it is vital that we get pressure with the front four. We can't afford to send blitzes and leave 1-on-1's in the secondary. Landry must play well on Clark and we need to force turnovers.

That's alot of "must's", but it surely can be done. The Ravens are better than the team that should have beat the Colts in Week 11, so it's just time to show it. As Ray Rice said, game plan and X's and O's will only take you so far. It comes down to our will vs theirs'. Who wants it more?

Re: Game Plan for Indy?

I think that our game plan will be similar to last week. However, it really would not surprise me to see us open up with play action on first down a few times (Maybe the first play of the game) and go deep. That doesn't mean we get away from running the ball, but you know the Colts will be cheating up to the line and we have to get them to play us balanced if we are to win this game.

Key factor to the game will be turnovers....who gets more. We also can not allow Manning and Co. to get a quick/big lead. If they are up by 14 at half, it might be the end. Keep it tight and pull away in the end. We win this game.

In the end, I do think we will win the game. We don't get blown out. Even when we play good teams we haven't been blown out. (Except maybe GB). Final is 24-21 Baltimore

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I would agree, some play action in running situations would be a very good idea, and running in passing situations as well. When we get into 3rd and longs a running play/draw/short pass to Rice or McGahee to get some yards back is better than trying to complete a 15 yard pass with their pass rush.

We'll see, but we will need the defense to keep it close like last game. If we do I think the offense can muster enough points to win.

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    It comes down to our will vs theirs'. Who wants it more?
    I don't agree at all here, actually. I think it will all come down to our discipline and their preparation and readiness.

Our discipline has been bad this season, but we stepped it up in the first post-season game. If we can play mistake-free football, we can hang with anybody. If we don't, we can't beat anyone remaining.

Their prep/readiness has been awful in years they've locked up first round byes over the last decade. If they come into the game as cold as they've come into every post season save the '06 season, we'll do to this team what we did to the Pats.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Yeah, there's no way we'll get off to a massive lead in the 1st quarter the way we did in NE. The emphasis will still be on the running game, and rightly so. But Joe will be throwing a lot more than 10 times in this game, whether he wants to or not. I think we'll find out just how much his injury is really bothering him.

Depending on our offensive success, I'm wondering if we re-define what is 4-down territory in this game. For example, if we get a 4th and 1 or 2 at the Indy 40 or 45 yard line early in the game? Most teams would think punt that early on, but if our object is to keep Manning on the bench, then I dunno. What do you all think about this?

And of course, one thing we need to repeat from last week is minimizing the penalties.

On defense, I'm not sure how we get pressure on Manning with only 4 guys, but it needs to happen. Blitzing that guy usually gets you burned.

Things I'll be looking for on Saturday night:

- Where are Freeney and Mathis: They are the players on the Colts you must account for on every play. But as we saw in the match-up in week 11, sometimes that means making sure they are even on the field. Both had their snaps limited, seeing the field primarily in obvious passing situations for the team. When they are in the game, the Colts will struggle against our run, and can be taken advantage of with quick-release passing plays, most notable screens. When they are out of the game, the Ravens should let Joe Flacco throw the football. He has what it takes to punish the Colts defense, if Cam lets him. Also, using the no-huddle is a good way of forcing the Colts into less than ideal defensive personnel. Might be a good way to operate.

- Don't get greedy on offense. The Colts defense will be susceptible to the Ravens intermediate passing game (which might suggest solid contributions from Derrick Mason and Kelly Washington). But this defense rarely gives up the home-run, and that's by design. It's going to take a special play to hit something over the top against this defense. Patience is the ultimate virtue in this football game, especially for the Ravens offense.

-Win on first down. It's essential that the Ravens aren't forced into a box with unmanageable down and distance. I think we will throw a lot more than people expect on Saturday, because balance is essential to earning first downs. If we can't consistently move the chains against the Colts, we're going to have a tough time pulling this one off. It's also important for field position and time of possession. Against Manning, offensive efficiency is a MUST.

-And obviously, no turnovers!

- Defensively, instinct and film study are perhaps never more important than they are when playing against Peyton Manning. As he always does, Manning will gesticulate pre-snap in hopes of gleaning some information he can use against our defense. It will be important that the Ravens defense does not tip their hand, and plays true to whatever defense is called. Manning is the most fluid and efficient quarterback I've ever seen when it comes to making changes at the line of scrimmage. He will make an unsound defense pay. The Ravens have to be smart about when they declare any pressure, and also not over-reacting to Manning's gum-flapping and arm-waving.

- Finally, our defensive lineman and linebackers have to do well dropping into coverage, clogging passing lanes in order to interrupt Manning's timing. He's perhaps the most accurate thrower of the football this game has ever seen, but can struggle when plays break down and of course when pressure gets in his face. Manning will get his as always, but the Ravens have what it takes to contain him. It starts with keeping #18 from developing a consistent rhythm. See the Colts @ Jacksonville for an example of what NOT to do.

- No penalties. This is a no-brainer. You simply cannot extend drives or donate yardage to Peyton Manning. Here's hoping the officials stay out of the way. If they do, this game has a change to be a nail-biting classic, and the good guys without a doubt have a great shot of winning. Let's hope they do!

Go Ravens! Some how, some way, we're winning this game... Ravens 27, Colts 26.

8. Re: Game Plan for Indy?

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    I don't agree at all here, actually. I think it will all come down to our discipline and their preparation and readiness.

Our discipline has been bad this season, but we stepped it up in the first post-season game. If we can play mistake-free football, we can hang with anybody. If we don't, we can't beat anyone remaining.

Their prep/readiness has been awful in years they've locked up first round byes over the last decade. If they come into the game as cold as they've come into every post season save the '06 season, we'll do to this team what we did to the Pats.

- C -
    The running game and pass rush will come down to how much we want it. If we can impose our will on the ground and get after the QB only rushing four, we should win this game.

Focus is another part of it that is very important, but the Ravens need to be delivering the blows to win. We will not win the Flacco torching them through the air, we will win with a punishing ground game and suffocating defense.

I don't think we can rely on pressuring Manning. It just doesn't happen consistently enough to impact the game whne facing the Colts. I see us playing a lot of dime packages.

I like Foxworth up in the face of Wayne with help from maybe from Zibbs. Walker up in the face of Garcon/Collie. J.J. will have to knock Clark off the line a bunch as well. Whatever the match ups end up being, I think the Ravens have a better chance of frustrating the Colts passing game this was vs. expecting to pressure Manning. Plus, the idea of pressuring Maninng is more likely if the Ravens can slow the receivers up coming off the line.

By the way Garcon is Haitian-American and has family in Haiti. What a sad state of affairs it is down there right now. Last counts put deaths in the 6 figures. Imagine this will weigh hevay on him.

While the Colts are last in the AFC in rusing yards, they are also the last in rusing attempts which is no big surprise. Anothe reason the Ravens will have to employ a lot of nickel/dime packages. The Colts are also last in the AFC in yards per carry so they still lack much threat on the ground and the Ravens should be able to use this advantage to allocate more resources to covering guys,

10. Re: Game Plan for Indy?

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    J.J. will have to knock Clark off the line a bunch as well.
    I can't believe I'm about to say this, but it would be nice to have Ayanbadejo to match up on Clark...

Blog Entries

I would like to see ( and I know some will say it hasn't been effective, and rightfully so) some Suggs package aka the Wildcat that the Dolphins used to light them up!!! Yes I know we don't have Ronnie Brown, but I think it would be unexpected.

That and use the no huddle to create advantages in personnnel.

Last keep everything in front of you on D...

Ngata at fullback/tight end on every 3rd/4th under two yards. Downfield blocks from WRs on run plays (cautious downfield blocks, no arms means no penalties, hopefully). No more laterals by Ed Reed when we're winning. Just basically have everyone giving that extra effort on every play. We seemed to do that last week, and the Patriots (especially Moss) didn't. Someone said pass more early in the game, but I'd rather we run until they have to bring 8 in to stop it, then keep running if we're still getting 3-5 yards a run or else start passing until they spread it out again.

I like the fact that our D is clearly superior, and in our offensive gameplan we're talking about either running or passing. Indy has the weaker D, and I guarantee they are not discussing the merits of running versus passing on their boards.