Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Any possibility of drafting a QB?

I know it's a bit out there for us, but with Troy Smith dropping and the likes of Drew Tate and others being there for us, any thoughts of us going there and lettin' them learn under McNair for a year? I don't think it's such a bad call. I know those QB's are not prototypical size, but those kids have rockets and we have had a good knack of seein' talent that no one else does...

your thoughts?

Re: Any possibility of drafting a QB?

Sure. Right player/right price blah, blah, blah...

I doubt we take one on the first day though.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

I'm with darb...probably nothing 1st day.

Boller may be coming in once McNair is done.

I do like the idea of investigating bringing Carr to Baltimore.

Yea, that wouldn't be necessarily a bad move. Put the man in w/ the right people and he may flurish

No qb this year, I don't think. That's one of the positions we're set at 1/2/3, and none of the can't miss prospects will fall to our slot.

The only possibility is if some raw kid who has slipped through the cracks is sitting there on the second day, we might take a shot. Even then, I doubt it, because of the new 'ready now' philosophy.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

No way we get one earlier than second day unless someone like Troy Smith falls to us in the 2nd round.

KEEP IN MIND that we did well, so our 2nd rounder is sill so low, it might as well be a 3rd rounder.

Strikes me that if Boller is amenable, he'll be signed to an extension UNLESS McNair comes in next year and looks much better with a year in the system AND says he can / will play another year.

Also remember, his cap number will blow up soon. Even if he wants to play, keeping McNair over year 2 could be problematic.

The money bet I put out there is to see Boller v. someone we draft middle of this years draft or somewhere earlier in next years draft, all depending on how McNair does / feels.

I REALLY hope McNair participates in the offseaon conditioning program. Lord knows he needs it. That, and maybe some of the cream and the clear. I hope he doesn't pull a veteran move of "oh, I have my own training regimen" meaning Mcnair does 10 pushups a day and his wife takes care of him blah blah blah.

If McNair could recover some armstrength, maybe we would have him play out the entire string of his contract. Unlikely though.

I would be surprised if we draft a QB on the first day. If we did, it would only be because we got lucky and someone really good dropped to us, and/or it would mean that the FO has already made plans to let Boller go after his contract runs out, so they are planning for the future. But I really don't anticipate that happening. I think they want to win next year, and burning a first day draft pick on a QB that won't really contribute next season doesn't fit into that line of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    No way we get one earlier than second day unless someone like Troy Smith falls to us in the 2nd round.
    IMO, Smith will be there when we pick and I say we pass anyway.

Also remember, his cap number will blow up soon. Even if he wants to play, keeping McNair over year 2 could be problematic.
    Agreed. He won't be around for more than 2 more years. Depending on what happens next season, it could be his last.

I REALLY hope McNair participates in the offseaon conditioning program. Lord knows he needs it. That, and maybe some of the cream and the clear. I hope he doesn't pull a veteran move of "oh, I have my own training regimen" meaning Mcnair does 10 pushups a day and his wife takes care of him blah blah blah.
    See Dave, this is the type of stuff that is maddening. I assume you followed the offseason last year where the problem in Tenn was that McNair WANTED to train at the team's facility but was locked out. Remember? Surely you do. But yet you post stuff like this as if McNair is some lazy vet who doesn't care. You've questioned him before even when I and others have provided exact quotes from him displaying how disappointed he was with the way the season ended. You seem more worried that he's not a "real Raven" because he spent so much time in Tenneessee than you do the fact that he's a warrior and has always given his all. What makes you think (besides you bias against him) that McNair will do pretty much nothing this offseason?

If you want to question his play on the field, Im all with you. He stunk vs Indy. But for god sakes, stop questioning his heart etc.....

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    IMO, Smith will be there when we pick and I say we pass anyway.

Agreed. He won't be around for more than 2 more years. Depending on what happens next season, it could be his last.

See Dave, this is the type of stuff that is maddening. I assume you followed the offseason last year where the problem in Tenn was that McNair WANTED to train at the team's facility but was locked out. Remember? Surely you do. But yet you post stuff like this as if McNair is some lazy vet who doesn't care. You've questioned him before even when I and others have provided exact quotes from him displaying how disappointed he was with the way the season ended. You seem more worried that he's not a "real Raven" because he spent so much time in Tenneessee than you do the fact that he's a warrior and has always given his all. What makes you think (besides you bias against him) that McNair will do pretty much nothing this offseason?

If you want to question his play on the field, Im all with you. He stunk vs Indy. But for god sakes, stop questioning his heart etc.....

PP

Amen!
    "IT'S NOT ATTITUDE, I'M JUST THAT GOOD!"

I really like the idea of Troy Smith being a Raven under McNair. From, the few Ohio State games I saw last year, he really seems to have a grasp of the game and was undoubtedly their leader.

I don't like the idea of David Carr. He just doesn't impress me. He seems to be more of a role player than a leader.

I think if Troy Smith is there, we should take him, IMO
    "IT'S NOT ATTITUDE, I'M JUST THAT GOOD!"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOutD View Post
    I think if Troy Smith is there, we should take him, IMO
    I hope you mean in the 2nd round at the earliest.

PP