Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who Replaces Rex At DC?

We had this thread a couple of months ago, but since losing Rex Ryan is a reality now, let's think of those that could replace him.

I am not sure, but I believe Donnie Henderson is still available. (Did he take the 49ers job?)

I also would like Jeff Fitzgerald as DC. I have a feeling if he does not get the DC job, he would follow Rex to SD.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Re: Who Replaces Rex At DC?

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    We had this thread a couple of months ago, but since losing Rex Ryan is a reality now, let's think of those that could replace him.

I am not sure, but I believe Donnie Henderson is still available. (Did he take the 49ers job?)

I also would like Jeff Fitzgerald as DC. I have a feeling if he does not get the DC job, he would follow Rex to SD.
    Wow, jump off the bridge why don't you. I'm sure the Chargers are going to pick Rex Ryan over all fo the proven coaches when there are openings at OC and DC as well, and will likely have a picked staff of coaches beyodn that. So they need essentially an entire coaching staff. Great idea to start off with a coach with no Head coaching experience doesn't it?

They have permission to talk to him, that's all.

Parcells, Fassel, Denny Green, Mora Jr, Martz, etc. There are some quality coaches with more experience and connections. Rex would have to be one HELL of an interview to win the job. Look at all the practice he has had.

I don't think there is anything wrong with looking at the possibility of Rex leaving...I'm not sure if Henderson took that job or not, but if not, I would love to bring his fire to Bmore!

Okay, let's try this again. Since losing Rex could be a reality, let's think of candidates that could replace him at DC.

If this is not a discussion you are prepared to engage in, then simply don't post. Otherwise, think of persons to take over as DC. No one has any idea what direction the Chargers are leaning (experienced or fresh blood). With new HCs such as Eric Mangini and Sean Payton having first year success, the stigma of the "inexperienced HC" is not as bad as before. SD may want someone who is fresh and hungry and they would request permission to speak with Rex if they were not seriously considering him.

Getting back to subject, think of persons that could take over as DC. I just checked and Donnie Henderson is still available, and Henderson would be my first choice to replace Rex. Fitzgerald would be the second choice with Clarence Brooks as the third choice.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOutD View Post
    I don't think there is anything wrong with looking at the possibility of Rex leaving...I'm not sure if Henderson took that job or not, but if not, I would love to bring his fire to Bmore!

I don't either I just thought the tone of the post re: (since it is a reality.... ) was very off. It is far from a forgone conclusion.

But to get back on topic I'll play along.

We usually promote from within. Broosk or Fitzgerald as mentioned are the likely leading candidates. Although I'd hate to lose Rex, as he has made our defense nice and explosive, but this wouldn't be the worst time to hand the job over to someone who needs to grow into it. The defense, even if we don't retain AD is stacked with Intelligent seasoned Vets that are oozing with knowledge and talent. Ray is practically a coordinator akin to Peyton on the other simpler side of the ball. So I say, if forced into replacing Rex, that you have to go with one of these guys. You can't argue with the productiona nd iprovement that either guy has gotten from his particular group of players.

From outside... Henderson has ties to the org, as does Mike Singletary. Maybe, if he misses out on all the jobs, he'll come back to Coordinate for a congteder to cement his spot at the top next year. Then, hopefully, one of the above will be ready. I'm not really intersted in any outside candidates with no organizational ties.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I don't either I just thought the tone of the post re: (since it is a reality.... ) was very off. It is far from a forgone conclusion.
    It wasn't "off." It is just a reality that you obviously aren't ready to accept and that's fine. Ryan is not just a candidate. Based on the PFT report, he will get serious consideration, ergo it IS a reality that we could lose Rex.

I think Jeff Fitzgerald is another assistant that could become a HC in the future. He also seems to have the respect of the defensive players especially our LBs. Fitz would also keep with the theme of being very aggressive.

Donnie Henderson is very firey and I am not concerned with how his stint in Detroit ended. The Detroit Lions are the Orioles of the NFL. Henderson's personality would mesh with the personalities already on the team.

After thinking of it, I would have Fitz as the top contender to replace Rex with Henderson as the second choice. If we hired Donnie, Fitz would probably follow Rex to SD and become their DC. Also, Fitz would bring that "ready to prove myself" hunger to the position.

Look out for Fitz as he is also a HC in the making.
    Last edited by PurpleRulz; 02-13-2007 at 09:52 PM.

IMO, the candidates would be (in no special order):

1. Vic Fangio (our super secret consultant)
    2. Donnie Henderson
    3. Jeff Fitzgerald
    4. Mike Singletary
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 02-15-2007 at 10:33 AM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

I like Ryan, and I love what the defense is capable of. We held the freaking Colts to 15 points in a play-off game and we're the number 1 defense in the league.

That said, we've lost DCs before and haven't lost a step. Lewis to the RedSkins, Nolan to the 49ers. We'll be just fine on the defensive side of the ball.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

A San Diego reporter was on one of the local radio shows yesterday. He said that knowing A.J. Smith, he would lean towards a younger coach as opposed to a caoch with head coaching experience. He thought the Rex and Rivera are the type of coach that he could see taking over. Of course that is just his opinion.

I like Fitzgerald although he gets kind of fired up and goofy during games. But, the LBs love him and he seems to be the type of coach that players will play for.

Since BB has relied so heavily on the Defense to keep his own job, I think BB should be D coord. It would be poetic justice, He cant run an offense, if he proves he cant run a D then maybe we will move in another direction. A direction where the team has a O and a D.
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

It seems that Vic Fangio will get the job if Rex leaves.

If Rex takes the SD job, he is going to hire Donnie Henderson as DC there. Ouch!

Preston calls Fitz a "long shot" to get the DC job.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse View Post
    A direction where the team has a O and a D.
    Wow! I thought we had a defense last year when we were ranked #1. I guess I thought wrong.