Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PFT: Rex Ryan a candidate for Chargers job

From ProFootballTalk.com:

REX RYAN A CHARGERS CANDIDATE

One name that quickly has emerged as a potential candidate for the sudden vacancy in San Diego is Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan.

Ryan, the son of former Eagles and Cardinals coach Buddy Ryan and the twin brother of Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, has spent the last eight years with the Ravens. He replaced Mike Nolan as defensive coordinator when Nolan was hired by the 49ers.

Look for Ryan to be one of the first guys interviewed for the job.
    This was my first thought when I heard about the Schottenheimer firing. They run a 3-4 defense similar to ours, though far less aggressive. They have no in-house candidates left to vie for the position, and a re-tread who washed out elsewhere (like Dennis Green or Jim Fassel) isn't going to be very appealing.

I'm sure Ryan will leave us for a head coaching job someday... but hopefully we can hang on to him for a little while longer. Say, enough to win another championship or two. Having him depart, and possibly take other coaches with him, this late in the offseason... that would be a severe blow to our plans for the coming season.

Re: PFT: Rex Ryan a candidate for Chargers job

I posted this in the Schott Fired thread, but you are probably right to start a new one.

They run a 3-4 defense similar to ours, though far less aggressive.
    We really don't run a 3-4. If anything we are a 4-3 that morphs into a 46 or 3-4.

I agree that losing Rex would be a huge blow. For the first time in forever we don't have an in house candidate capable of replacing him. I didn't expect Rex to get a job this season, but I thought he would be a big target next year, so I'm a little surprised that we don't have anyone in the wings.

Yeah, I caught sight of it in that thread after posting this one... but there are a lot of board members who ignore a thread if it's not Ravens-related. Unfortunately, the Schottenheimer firing might be more Ravens-related than we had hoped.

As for 4-3 vs. 3-4, what we run doesn't really have any precedent, classification, or comparison. But it DOES use athletic hybrids like Terrell Suggs and Adalius Thomas. Guys just like, say, Shawne Merriman. The biggest difference I see is that the Chargers secondary isn't as good as ours, which means a lot less freedom to send blitzers. But that doesn't mean the Chargers won't make a play for Rex. They'll figure they can go get the athletes to make the system work. With Jamal Williams, Shawne Merriman, Luis Castillo, and a couple improving young DBs, they have a good foundation.

I would predict that as of my writing this the Chargers have about 10 people they would rather have. I "think" we are safe.

I bet, in Order, their candidates are:

Pete Carroll
    Bill Parcells
    Norv Turner
    any available retreads
    Fassell
    Candidates that have never been a head coach before, with likely Mike Singeltary, Caldwell, Rivera all seing more interest from SD.

SD is a SuperBowl Competitor. They do not need a first-time head coach of "questionable" Lineage. Buddy was always known as a great defnesive mind but his familoy save for Rex has let down his legacy.

I don't know if Rex will get this job, I see other guys as better candidates.

I would give Ryan an outside shot at best. The HC from Iowa might get an interview too...Lafrentz.

FM

SD has lost thier head coach OC and DC and some other coach.

Seems they will want someone with experience to deal with that large a void in the organization

Peter King chips in with this:

"In fact, with all the mayhem, it'll be stunning if the Chargers can dig their way out of this horrible web of mismanagement to finally be a playoff factor next season.

My only advice? Interview Baltimore defensive coordinator Rex Ryan. It's insane this guy doesn't have a head-coaching job yet. The San Diego defense under Ryan would be even more hell-bent-for-leather next fall."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...=si_topstories

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable…

There is another theory which states that this - has - already - happened…

"We don't have a town drunk...we all take turns..."

Well, SD now has apparently sought permission to interview Ryan. Although the story does not say whether permission was granted or not, I would assume they would grant permission.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6470314
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

This sucks. I hope they go with Rivera, but given the candidates I would probably take Ryan too.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Well, SD now has apparently sought permission to interview Ryan. Although the story does not say whether permission was granted or not, I would assume they would grant permission.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6470314
    As this article states, R Rivera will be the first to interview along with G Gibbs, N Turner, K Ferentz, M Singletary and probably J Mora Jr. Carroll wants 8 mil a year and total control. The Chargers have NO interest in him. This would be catostrophic for the Ravens! To lose Rex is bad enough but to lose him to the best team in football?!?! Yikes! The Chargers have to make a hire quick so they can fill the 5 asst coach openings they have. That will be the tougher task.
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.

To lose Rex is bad enough but to lose him to the best team in football?!?! Yikes!
    After losing their OC, DC, and HC, I dont know if they can still be the best.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton