Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool AD 4 Portis? Would you?

More here on this tag & trade scenario.

Your thoughts are invited!

Re: AD 4 Portis? Would you?

No, the main reason why AD is likely to leave is the Ravens can't afford the cap space it take to keep him. They can't afford Portis, either. If they do trade AD, it's gotta be for a draft pick (or if they're lucky, draft picks).
    Last edited by HDDream; 02-13-2007 at 03:00 PM.

Agreed with HDDream. We're not interested in getting another player with a big salary. Especially not a running back! That's what the draft is for. We need to find a Clinton Portis (a guy from the second round or later who can provide a spark for our running game and be part of the mix from day one), just not THE Clinton Portis.

If that trade was for MichealTurner or a top 10 draft pick I would pull the trigger.

FM

Portis is too injury prone & we don't need an injury prone feature back, we already have 1. Also, his cap #'s probably aren't very friendly & our cap is not in good shape. Turner would be a better option, low mileage & ready to play.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

A top 10 draft pick would be nice but no team would do that trade.

Plus a top 10 guy is going to cost some serius coin.

I honestly dont think we tag and trade AD, as mentioned in another thread, AD would have to agree with his new team, restructure, and we would have to find a trade partner.

If you tag AD and then try to trade him to a crap team or he cant reach a deal, you get stuck with that 7 mil cap number and we would be crippled.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

Thumbs down Re: AD 4 Portis? Would you?

No.

We already have a veteran RB whose best years are behind him. And no, I don't mean Jamal.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

It's taboo to trade franchised players! Other free agents would hold it against us for years! Just let AD walk and sign D Rhodes.
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.

Quote Originally Posted by F Angelos View Post
    It's taboo to trade franchised players! Other free agents would hold it against us for years! Just let AD walk and sign D Rhodes.
    100% agree! Rhodes may be a backup, but the kid can push a pile and i think he could come in and do wonders for us in the backfield

Rhodes is a career backup guy.

I would stay away from him at all costs.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

o and by the way most of Portis salary might be tied up with his signing bonus.

I'm not sure the way it is structured but if it was we woould loose 0 cap space to tag and trade AD b/c his wouldn't be guaranteed, and the Redskins would pay for his signing bonus. We would only be responsible for his base salary

We won't gert a top 10 pick for him but I don't see why we can't tag and trade him. We tag him, loet him shop himself contract wise, and then we wither match it or negotiate with his top 2-3 choices. They will only trade for him if they feel they have a contract worked out, we will only trade if we get something for him, at least a 3rd, as we would get a 3rd next year for him likely as compensation. If a trade doesn't work out, we lif tthe Tag(As long as it's unsigned, which it seems he would not do) and then he could go to his team of choice with no cap effect.